• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Bradford City vs Southend United

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the fourteenth away game of the 2018/19 season and the 23rd away game since Chris Powell’s return and time in charge at the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our fourteenth away match is against Bradford City

SkyBet League One.jpg
image.png VS.pngSUFC.jpg

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at Northern Commercials Stadium (Valley Parade), listening on the radio, or watching on ifollow.

Chris Powell's 14th Southend United League One Away Team of the 2018/19

DxR06PaX4AE0RmB.jpg

Northern Commercials Stadium (Valley Parade), is ready for action at 3.00pm Saturday 19th January, it looks like we are going to have an overcast and very cold afternoon for the game so wrap up warm.

DxRrbOkXQAEkouv.jpg

DxRrbObW0AAaSPh.jpg

The weather forecast for day at Northern Commercials Stadium (Valley Parade)

Bradford City v SUFC Weather.png

Chris Powell’s current away record after 23 games

Won 9
Drawn 4
Lost 10
Goals scored 24

Goals conceded 27

League Positions Last Season

10th (2017/18) League One Southend United
11th (2017/18) League One Bradford City

League Positions Current Season

12th (2018/19 Season) Southend United
22nd (2018/19 Season) Bradford City

Recent League Positions Change

Bradford City v SUFC Positions.png

Previous five Meetings

Southend United 2-0 Bradford City (L1 18/08/18 Att. 6,295)
Bradford City 0-2 Southend United (L1 28/04/18 Att. 19,960)
Southend United 1-2 Bradford City (L1 16/12/17 Att. 6,097)
Southend United 3-0 Bradford City (L1 19/11/16 Att. 7,005)
Bradford City 1-1 Southend United (L1 18/10/16 Att. 16,112)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 12
Draws: 13
Bradford City Wins: 16

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Managers Pre-match Views

Bradford City

David Hopkin talks to the Bradford City OS before the game

David Hopkin is expecting a high-intensity clash when his Bantams take on Southend United tomorrow at the Northern Commercials Stadium.

City can close the gap on their 12th-placed visitors to just five points with a victory, as Hopkin’s men hope to escape the drop-zone in the process.

Hopkin believes Chris Powell’s Southend will offer a “tough test” but the Bantams boss believes home advantage could be key.

The City manager said: “I know Chris well and we all know this is going to be a difficult game.

“Every game in this division poses different problems and you have to adapt to each one. Southend are no different.

“We are back at home this week, which is good. We have to make sure we get our intensity levels right and repeat the performances from the back end of last year.

“The supporters have really got behind us in the last four or five home games and, hopefully, it continues tomorrow.

“The players enjoy playing in front of the home fans, so we have to ensure we are always competitive at Valley Parade.”

Adam Chicksen, suspended after being red carded in last week’s defeat at Barnsley, misses out as he serves the first of a two-match ban.

Luca Colville could return following a knee problem, though Kelvin Mellor and Sean Scannell will sit out the January 19 contest (kick-off 3.00pm).

New-signing Jermaine Anderson is available for selection, as is Hope Akpan - who returned to action last weekend.

Hopkin added: “Almost everyone is fit and training well, which is good for us ahead of this game.

“We have to make sure we keep the squad as fit and as fresh as possible.

“It was important Hope got some minutes against Barnsley, last week, and now he is back to full fitness.

“He has looked sharp all week in training and on the advice of our medical staff, we have monitored him and feel he is able to return.”

Full text can be found here:-
https://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/news/2019/january/hopkin-expecting-an-intense-southend-clash/

Southend United

Chris Powell talks to the Southend United OS before the game

Chris Powell looks ahead to the weekend's game away to Bradford City as Blues look to return to winning ways at the Northern Commercials Stadium.

The team news for the game…

"Taylor Moore has been training so hopefully he has no reaction and he can be up for selection but Harry Bunn will be missing. I don’t know if he’ll be ready for Luton but it may be a game early so it might be Bristol Rovers that we look at for him.

"It’s very slow with Mark [Oxley] and he’s nowhere near being ready to come out and train. Back injuries can be ones that take a hell of a long time. Sometimes surgery is needed and that can be pretty major. It’s very slow and I can't give a date as to when he will be back."

On facing an improved Bradford side…

"They’ve got some results since David [Hopkin] has come in and quietly gone about his business. It was very tough at the start but of course that happens through the changes, but ultimately you have to do your best on the field and they have got some results and performances of late.

"We have to contend with them and be ready for them. Like all games at this level you have to be ready to compete and stake a claim to try and win the game.

"They’re very direct and they will put it on us. We’ve been working on that. I got my anger from the Plymouth game out the way on Monday because I didn’t want it lingering. We started our work on Tuesday and we know what we’re coming up against. We’re facing a player everyone knows well in Jack Payne and we’ll have to do our best to deal with what they will throw at us to win the game.

"We did well there last year and it’ll be good for us to emulate that result from Valley Parade last year."

On Sam Hart…

"Sam has been ongoing and it’s finally been confirmed. I was hopeful of getting it done last week before the Plymouth game but for various reasons it didn’t get over the line. He’s had a week to settle down and train and it bolsters us.

"It gives us new energy and I think the group needs it. We’ve hung in there but sometimes when you get people in who haven’t been affected by the ups and downs with us it’s a positive."

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2019/january/chris-powells-bradford-preview/

Chris Powell and Steven Humphrys talk to the Southend United OS about the transfer

Southend United have completed the permanent signing of striker Stephen Humphrys from Fulham.

The 21-year-old, who was on loan at Scunthorpe United in the first half of the season, arrives from the West London side on a two-and-a-half-year contract.

Humphrys was in Bury’s Academy at an early age before moving to Fulham in 2013.

Rising through the Cottagers’ Academy, he made his debut against Derby County in 2016 aged 19 before going out on loan to Shrewsbury Town in the second half of the 2016/17 season.

Humphrys’ second loan spell of his career came a year later at Rochdale where he made 18 appearances scoring three goals, one of which came against Tottenham Hotspur in an FA Cup replay at Wembley.

At the start of the current campaign Humphrys joined Scunthorpe and, in 20 appearances in all competitions, scored five goals before returning to Fulham at the start of the year.

Speaking to iFollow Blues following the move, Humphrys, who has signed in time to be involved against Bradford City this afternoon, said: “I’m delighted. It’s a big step in my career, I’m pleased to have got it over the line and can’t wait to get started.

“It’s a permanent move, it’s not a loan, so I’m joining a club that I can hopefully find a real identity at.

“It’s a big club with a really good fanbase and I want to feel as much involved in the club and do as well as I can here as possible.

“It’s not like I’m coming into a league where I don’t have any experience. I started off well at Scunthorpe and went through a phase where I scored three in five and then unfortunately it didn’t work out at, but everything happens for a reason and in a way I’m delighted it did work out like that because I’ve ended up here and I’m happy to be here.

“I’ve still got a lot to learn; I think everyone’s got a lot to learn and being so young this is a great opportunity to learn my trade at a big club.

“The manager has told me what he wants from me and we agreed that this would be the best club to get the best out of me."

Southend manager Chris Powell, said: “Firstly I'm delighted that Stephen's agreed to join us. He's been out on loan a number of times but this is a permanent move and it's, for me, a start for him to settle down somewhere and show everyone what he's like on a regular basis.

"All centre-forwards are judged on goals and that's the reason he's here - to assist and create them as well, but I've tracked his progress for a while and there were a number of clubs in for him, but I think he now sees this as an opportunity to have a home at a level he can excel at.

"It's great that he's chosen us because there were a number of other sides in League One that were keen on his services, but he's felt comfortable and excited about coming here."

Powell added: "We all know we've been short and light in certain areas where we maybe haven't been able to change things. A player of Steve's calibre and quality will certainly help us do that in the respect of being a better team and a better squad, but of course he needs to come in and prove himself.

"He has all the attributes. He's strong off both feet, he's got good mobility, he has real good quality, he's a good technician, he's a finisher, but of course you have to make him feel comfortable and that's what we'll aim to do.

"I see him as someone who can do something a bit different, but you're judged on goals and whether they're from inside the box or outside the box, I want him to do his best to score all types of goals on a regular basis in League One."

Humphrys will wear squad number 39 for the remainder of the season.

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2019/january/blues-complete-humphrys-swoop/

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Interesting line up, 532 / 352

Great to see the new signings straight in the XI

Looking forward to match day for a change

To be fair to SCP, I understood that his whole set up of his Team was intended to be around the three centre backs - injuries have totally disrupted that plan. Hopefully it will be 5 at the back when defending and three at the back when going forward.

Looks a solid line up and a definite wake up call for Dru and Hendrie.

Defensive line up, little for Cox or Hump to be happy about as the taller forward will encourage more hoof from the back and by pass of midfield. If we get a draw we will have done well.Early subs may help

Can’t afford to play anyone creative....if what they do doesn’t work or players don’t capitalise on what they do do, we all jump in and say they’re not good enough!!!!

Now should I change my match prediction based on that better looking lineup?

(Heads over to SZ Prediction League)

Interesting line up, 532 / 352

Great to see the new signings straight in the XI

Looking forward to match day for a change

Looks more like a 5-3-2 to me. Most of Bradford's goals (9) have been scored between 16-30 minutes.

I disagree with the thoughts that this is a defensive set up. Some of our best attacking football this season has come with the use of wing backs. Only reservations, I wish we had someone better than Hyam and I am not entirely convinced Elvis is comfortable as a wing back.

SAM Hart and Stephen Humphrys have both gone straight into the starting line-up for Southend United’s clash at Bradford City this afternoon.

More...

Back