• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking news - Martin to step down

Come on - Martin had no authority yesterday - couldn't speak his way out of a paper bag. We need someone who has authority, is independent - the clerk can deal with the procedural side.

Yesterday wasn't typical though, if he had any grasp of the procedure he'd never have got tied up in such knots.

The speaker needs to be independent and respected, but despite their name, they ordinarily don't make speeches.

Yesterday wasn't typical though, if he had any grasp of the procedure he'd never have got tied up in such knots.

The speaker needs to be independent and respected, but despite their name, they ordinarily don't make speeches.

I realise that, but he's such a whiny sod. I want someone like James Earl Jones - "order" would sound fantastic then.

I realise that, but he's such a whiny sod. I want someone like James Earl Jones - "order" would sound fantastic then.

LOL

Other names to look out for are:

*Tory Grandee Sir George Young;
*Sir Alan Haslehurst, the most senior of the deputy speakers
*Sylvia Heal, but surely it can't be Labour three times in a row
*Sir Alan Beith, probably the most likely Lib Dem candidate
*Richard Shepherd, independent minded Tory backbencher
*Dr Richard Taylor (?), the independent who was elected for Wyre Forest

I think it'll be an outsider, but it's difficult to forecast with a new system in place.

LOL

I think it'll be an outsider, but it's difficult to forecast with a new system in place.

Dr Taylor won't do it; Beith's dull; Shepherd's OK; Heal I've never heard of; Young's not bad shout. Haslehurst, well, he's likely, but I'm not sure we want continuity right now.

Dr Taylor won't do it; Beith's dull; Shepherd's OK; Heal I've never heard of; Young's not bad shout. Haslehurst, well, he's likely, but I'm not sure we want continuity right now.

It's not normally a high profile position and often attracts anonymous characters, but I think they may go for someone with a high profile to reassure the public.

Radio Four are pontificating on Anne Widdecombe becoming Speaker. Seems to be a popular choice among MP's and I'm pretty sure the public would endorse it, though not unanimously..

Maybe, but Field has a lot of cross-party support. I prefer Bercow anyway - an excellent speaker.

I like Frank Field, he knows more about our welfare system than any MP I am sure. Bliar made him a minister to think the unthinkable on social reform. However Bliar with a huge majority and masses of good will bottled out and kicked Field out of the government.

Besides which after two consecutive Labour Speakers there won't be a third.

George Young probably ought to have got the job when Betty Boothroyd stood down, and Martin got the gig.

LOL

Beith backed from 12-1 to 6-1 second favourite behind Young. I should have got money on earlier, but he's now declared his candidacy. I think this rules out Menzies Campbell, who was probably too damaged from his expenses claim, as surely two senior Lib Dems wouldn't stand against each other. A Lib Dem might be the best compromise for Labour MPs unwilling to vote for a Tory and unable to vote for a Labour MP because it would be 3 in a row.

Shepherd would have made an excellent speaker last time, but it might be too late for him this time as he's getting on a bit.

I haven't been following the Hellograph's expenses stories closely enough though to see everyone who has been caught but whoever puts themselves forward better be whiter than white on expenses claims. Beith at least voted for greater transparency over MP's expenses and with the most northerly constituency in England, can probably justify his expenses better than most.

Beith backed from 12-1 to 6-1 second favourite behind Young. I should have got money on earlier, but he's now declared his candidacy. I think this rules out Menzies Campbell, who was probably too damaged from his expenses claim, as surely two senior Lib Dems wouldn't stand against each other. A Lib Dem might be the best compromise for Labour MPs unwilling to vote for a Tory and unable to vote for a Labour MP because it would be 3 in a row.

Shepherd would have made an excellent speaker last time, but it might be too late for him this time as he's getting on a bit.

I haven't been following the Hellograph's expenses stories closely enough though to see everyone who has been caught but whoever puts themselves forward better be whiter than white on expenses claims. Beith at least voted for greater transparency over MP's expenses and with the most northerly constituency in England, can probably justify his expenses better than most.

If they wanted to go for an independent minded Lib Dem then Norman Baker would be my choice. I agree that a Lib Dem may be the best compromise.

If they wanted to go for an independent minded Lib Dem then Norman Baker would be my choice. I agree that a Lib Dem may be the best compromise.

I've a lot of time for Baker, but I suspect he's made too many enemies. I'm not sure if he'd want it either, Beith on the other hand has declared his candidacy.

I'd predict the main challenge to Beith would be if a big name expressed interest. What's Malcolm Rifkind up to these days?

I've a lot of time for Baker, but I suspect he's made too many enemies. I'm not sure if he'd want it either, Beith on the other hand has declared his candidacy.

I'd predict the main challenge to Beith would be if a big name expressed interest. What's Malcolm Rifkind up to these days?

I think Rifkind took Portaloo's seat (ooerr missus) Kensington & Chelsea IIRC when Portaloo stood down at the last election, which was Alan Clark's seat before passed away.

I thought I was reading the Shrimpers Chit-Chat and nearly shat myself when I read that title

Back