• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breivik and the Death Penalty

Would he still have killed them?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

steveo

mine to stay the same please
So we can probably all agree there is no doubt this bloke is guilty of murder. He knew he would get caught and he knew the possible punishment. But what if Norway did have the death Penalty? Would it have been a deterrent?

So the poll questions are: Knowing he would have been given the death penalty would he still have killed these people? Yes or No.

It's very unlikely, he probably expected to get shot that day anyway, he probably even wanted it, in his insane mind he'd see himself as a martyr, studies show the death penalty doesn't reduce the rate of crimes punishable by death. If you're insane enough to kill multiple people I doubt you'd care too much about death.

Also I was initially shocked at him only getting 21 years, however under national law criminals can have their sentence extended if he is deemed a threat to society, so I doubt he'll ever see the light of day again.

The death penalty never stops murders in the first place. Look as the US, Death Row's are full.

Breivek no doubt would have seen himself as some kind of martyr.

The death penalty never stops murders in the first place. Look as the US, Death Row's are full.

Breivek no doubt would have seen himself as some kind of martyr.
I know what you mean MK but a lot of those are not planned. This was. Knowing he would die at the end may have put him off.

I know what you mean MK but a lot of those are not planned. This was. Knowing he would die at the end may have put him off.

Seriously doubt it mate. He saw himself as some kind of hero for a white Europe. A "hero's" death was probably what he envisioned.

He said that 'he expected to die' on Utoya. If that's the case, then I don't think the death penalty is a deterrent in that case (and the evidence suggests that it isn't a deterrent in general).

No. If anything, as I've said before, he'd prefer death to the rest of his life in prison. That way, he's a martyr and potentially inspires others to match or better him. In prison, he dies alone and forgotten, an old joke among the guards.

Serves him right too, the ****ing *******.

Where's the third option? The one that says he was more likely to murder if he knew he would definitely be killed, either at the time or through a death sentence.

He will die sometime Im sure :smile:

Id be far more put off at the thought of spending the rest of my life in bars than put to death.

Then again how can you try to guess the rationale of someone like that....

He will die sometime Im sure :smile:

Id be far more put off at the thought of spending the rest of my life in bars than put to death.

Then again how can you try to guess the rationale of someone like that....

Personally, I'd quite like to spend the rest of my life in bars(if my liver could cope).:winking:

Personally, I'd quite like to spend the rest of my life in bars(if my liver could cope).:winking:

It's taken you over 8,000 posts to finally make one that made me smile and laugh. Well done, you're learning!

He is clearly never to get out again. On the basis of costs I would end him. Would save the Norwegin tax payer millions.

It's a slippery slope if justice/punishment is based on cost

For me it would be a blanket death penalty. Why scum like for example Ian Brady, Ian Huntley etc are still alive is beyond me. There is no doubt there people are guilty and for my mind they should be ended the same day they are found guilty. They loose the right to life once they do things like that. The money factor is just a sideline issue.

For me it would be a blanket death penalty. Why scum like for example Ian Brady, Ian Huntley etc are still alive is beyond me. There is no doubt there people are guilty and for my mind they should be ended the same day they are found guilty. They loose the right to life once they do things like that. The money factor is just a sideline issue.

Wow. What if the court DID get it wrong?

Wow. What if the court DID get it wrong?

But they haven't in these cases, with all of the three cited, it is without any doubt 100% certain that these low lifes did what they did. In discussion on the death penalty I've always advocated that it should be used only in cases where there is indisputable proof that they've committed the crime they are accused of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back