• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brighton & Hove Albion FC & Graham Potter

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
It's great to see Brighton's rise up the Premiership and their qualification for Europe next season. It seems like only yesterday that we were regularly locking horns with the Seagulls and now we're at the opposite ends of the Footballing spectrum.

Maybe we should also spare a thought for the fortunes of Graham Potter in all of this. I'm not an in-depth follower of Brighton, but I believe Potter played a major role in the improvements on the field at Brighton and when he left them for Chelsea they were fit and ready to carry on their climb up the table. As for Potter at Chelsea? - Seems to me you need time and support to build something worthwhile at a football club, and he was never going to get that at Chelsea. Hopefully, he will pick up another half decent club to start building it again. Off topic, but it was also great to see Sean Dyche pick up another club that might just give him time to build a better Everton for the future.

No sympathy for Potter. He could've stayed at Brighton and really built something, taken them into Europe, but he followed the money and went to a club renowned for not giving managers time. Still, I'm sure he got a very nice pay-off. Wouldn't be surprised if he's the eventual successor to Southgate as England manager.

But yes, Brighton are a great example of sensible management and steady progress, along with other clubs like Brentford and Bournemouth. Like you say, it's not that long ago we were in the same league as these clubs. There's hope for us!

Incidentally, pleased to see Lewis Dunk finally get a deserved call-up for England.

I have no doubt Mr Potter trousered a big fat wade of £££s when he was signed by Chelsea.
And I have no doubt he also pocketed a Bob or two when Chelsea gave him the push.
Does he lose some remuneration when he is employed again?
I can see him being a very good man for the England set up. He is smart, and patient, knows what he wants and, with time, like Eddie Howe, more often gets it right.

Brighton, especially the youngsters, are a delight to watch. Play with no fear, pass and move, shoot, disciplined, AND seem nice people too.

Of course Potter would have trousered a sizable amount of compensation, that's what Chelsea (the instant success) Club Ltd are about. But it doesn't alter the fact that he was a half decent manager that got more than a good tune out of Brighton and should be remembered for his positive involvement in their success.

It's great to see Brighton's rise up the Premiership and their qualification for Europe next season. It seems like only yesterday that we were regularly locking horns with the Seagulls and now we're at the opposite ends of the Footballing spectrum.

Maybe we should also spare a thought for the fortunes of Graham Potter in all of this. I'm not an in-depth follower of Brighton, but I believe Potter played a major role in the improvements on the field at Brighton and when he left them for Chelsea they were fit and ready to carry on their climb up the table. As for Potter at Chelsea? - Seems to me you need time and support to build something worthwhile at a football club, and he was never going to get that at Chelsea. Hopefully, he will pick up another half decent club to start building it again. Off topic, but it was also great to see Sean Dyche pick up another club that might just give him time to build a better Everton for the future.

Agreed, He's a good manager and will come again. The life changing wages and opportunity to go to a big six club had to be taken. Whilst I am no Chelsea fan, I can't imagine many at the time ( just after a big takeover) not taking that chance. Now, I imagine some would think twice at that club given the apparent lack of a plan. ( All that money spent and didn't buy a striker etc)

*Tiny pedantic thing. It hasn't been called the Premiership for over 20 years.*

Agreed, He's a good manager and will come again. The life changing wages and opportunity to go to a big six club had to be taken. Whilst I am no Chelsea fan, I can't imagine many at the time ( just after a big takeover) not taking that chance. Now, I imagine some would think twice at that club given the apparent lack of a plan. ( All that money spent and didn't buy a striker etc)

*Tiny pedantic thing. It hasn't been called the Premiership for over 20 years.*
I'm just an old fashioned sort of bloke (something to do with age). Premier League it is then.

Am i the only one thinking Brighton improved once he left and Chelsea declined further when he joined.....

Am i the only one thinking Brighton improved once he left and Chelsea declined further when he joined.....
No I’m the same. I think he did well at Brighton but they’re so much more exciting to watch now and score goals for fun. De Zerbi has given the chance to gems like Enciso and Ferguson and seems to have the respect of the players. Their future looks bright even if they do sell Caicedo, MacAllister etc. At Chelsea GP was way out of his depth. But then so is Lampard. You do wonder why they sacked Tuchel.

Back