• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

From Teamtalk

Lee Bradbury is hoping he has given boss Steve Tilson a selection headache ahead of Southend's trip to Leeds after his Carling Cup heroics.

The 32-year-old striker was left out of the season opener against Leyton Orient last weekend, but he responded with a hat-trick as the Shrimpers ran out 4-1 winners against Cheltenham on Tuesday night.

"It felt good to get a hat-trick, it's only the third of my career but it's always good to score and to get off to a good start," he said.

"I was left out against Orient so it was nice to play my first game. I felt I had a bit of a point to prove and wanted to score.

"We have a bigger squad than the manager has had for a long time and there is competition for places, which is only healthy for the team.

"I'm sure if you ask the manager it's a nice problem for him to have."

From SportingLife

Just when Leeds thought it couldn't get any worse
Constantine out for 3 months

Leeds boss Dennis Wise admits he may be forced back into the loan market after Leon Constantine was ruled out for three months.

Former Port Vale striker Constantine, who missed the opening day win at Tranmere and Tuesday's Carling Cup win at Macclesfield, has an ankle injury.

The news is the latest in a series of body blows for the troubled Elland Road club, who started the League One season with a 15 point penalty imposed by the Football League.

"Leon will be out for three months - it's a massive blow," said the United boss.

"He's good competition in there and I was happy with the four strikers we have. Unfortunately that's the way it goes.

"Whether or not we bring a loan striker in we will see.

"He's very disappointed. He's done a whole pre-season and then does his ankle. He was looking forward to the challenge and playing for Leeds."

Wise says he is in the hunt for a back-up keeper, a left-sided wide player and another central defender in an effort to bolster his squad.

Question then...

Their first home game of the season.
Given what's happened, is this the best or worst time this season to be playing Leeds? A win for Southend will do Leeds a HUGE amount of damage!

i don't think it the best time because we still don't really have a clue what our best 11 is yet. i would have liked it in a months time TBH

Could be a big plus for us playing them this early in the season.

Being their first game of the season it will be their fans first real chance to vent their fury at Bates & Co. and rather than get behind their team I think that the Leeds fans will focus their efforts on telling Bates how they feel.

By 3:15 on Saturday I expect the first chorus of 'Get the Chelsea out of Leeds', and hopefully by 4:50 they will be singing 'Wise Out' ! ! !

I really believe that we can get something from the game on Saturday.

Faith not fear.

Moe.

Being their first game of the season it will be their fans first real chance to vent their fury at Bates & Co. and rather than get behind their team I think that the Leeds fans will focus their efforts on telling Bates how they feel.

By 3:15 on Saturday I expect the first chorus of 'Get the Chelsea out of Leeds', and hopefully by 4:50 they will be singing 'Wise Out' ! ! !

Faith not fear.

Moe.

The 15 point business appears to have united the Leeds fans against a new common enemy - everyone else in the Football League who voted against them. Apparently there wasn't much in the way of anti-Wise/Bates comment at Tranmere or Macclesfield.

Faith not fear.

Moe.

I wonder if the Leeds fans will stage another pitch invasion in protest at what has been going on? Especially if we are winning!!

i have to say that i think this is the wrong time to be playing them....lokk at Rotherham last year, almost made up their deficit in the few half a dozen games and then faded.......i am not expecting us to get anything up there

Wrong time I feel, Wise has probably stoked up the 'us against the world, look at the grave injustice of it all' feeling so they'll be fired up for their first few games. Sadly I reckon we'll gain nothing from this game.

I think it's one that can go either way. If we can snatch a cheeky little lead and hold it for a bit, I think their fans will really start to turn and we can almost finish their season right now!

If THEY get ahead though, I can't see any way back.

Incidentally, I may not be confident but the Finktank season predictor has Leeds going down as third bottom. Interesting second perspective given the decent record for it.

I have been pondering on this alday and after deep thought I have come up with this conclusion........

We Hate Leeds....

its hard to say if its a good time or not to play them. could be another sunderland and beat em whilst there down. i hope thats the case. gutted I can't make this one but god i'd love to beat this lot.

Gutted I can't make it too. J's car is a bit dodge so he's not risking it. Oh well, saves a £50 day, which is a lot of money for a bum, you know.

I'll sing through the radio though, come on you blues!

Good time or bad time? Interestingly the focus of many replies seems to be on Leeds and their situation/motivation. I think it may be a very good time for us. Granted we haven't performed particularly well so far and we are apparently unsure of what might be our best starting 11 but given the changes between our first and second competitive game this season and the healthy debate concerning Flahavan and Collis it could be that the competition for places within our own team inspires players to produce performances that will guarantee their inclusion in the team next time out. I think the game could put us on our mettle. Think what a point or even three would do for our morale! It just might happen.

Back