• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch .... Bristol Rovers

But where do you draw the line Mick ??

Say for example, a keeper came out to collect a ball near the edge of his area, but slid so that his body was out of the area, but the ball was still in the area, and the only way he could keep it there was with outstretched hands on top of the ball, would it be OK for an attacker to then play the ball ?

Yes. Hands round the ball so the only way it could be played would be by kicking the keepers hands, freekick; hands on top of ball giving opponents boot clear unobstucted access to ball, fine.

Yes. Hands round the ball so the only way it could be played would be by kicking the keepers hands, freekick; hands on top of ball giving opponents boot clear unobstucted access to ball, fine.

And there's no possibility of this being dangerous? Sorry Mick can't agree, in a fast flowing game there is no time to assess whether hands are on top, slightly below or even behind. I'm sure you've given free kicks for exactly this offence on the very few occasions when anyone has had the nerve to even try.

Mick said:
Blimey, you learn something every day. :stunned:

Just out of interest, in your opinion, in the scenario I quoted above, what percentage of refs would give a foul ?

Still can't agree Mick, though of course i bow to your superior knowledge on this, but as alluded to above i reckon 99 times out of a 100 a foul would be awarded in this situation, the ref didn't give the goal straight away but sought assistance from the fool with a flag who stood there like a lemon (ie just stood there rather than run back back towards the halfway line as they usually do when a goal is scored)

I'm not sure it would've affected the outcome any, as Southampton were IMO about the best side we've seen down here this season, but to get off to such a poor start obviously didn't help

Blimey, you learn something every day. :stunned:

Just out of interest, in your opinion, in the scenario I quoted above, what percentage of refs would give a foul ?

Most would play safe and give the "foul" working on the fact there's no mileage in knowing you're right but everyone else, probably on both sides, thinking you're wrong. No arguments, no hassle just a free-kick everyone expected.

Most referees play the percentages and are more interested in their own advancement or retention than the letter of the Law.

Mick said:
Most referees play the percentages and are more interested in their own advancement or retention than the letter of the Law.
Typical we get the one that wants to play by the laws then. Shocking ;)

:stunned:
Mate, i've been playing the game for 35yrs and i've never seen anyone boot the ball out of the 'keepers hands and into the net and get away with it.
Until i watched that hopeless ref and his linesman Fri night give a goal i never believed it possible!

Let's face it, the officials didn't have a clue as to what went on regarding that incident! Mildy had all the time in the world to get that ball under his control and he did so i believed at the time, let's not kid ourselves here, it should have been a free-kick, we were cheated and you can put your laws of the game book back on the shelf mate.

i had a perfect view of it and mildy has both hands on the ball. simply as that, the guy booted the ball out of his hands. no goal 100 % no goal. however the ref didn't have a clue what to do and the lino didn't no what day it was.

the ref is very lucky that they score a couple more otherwise he would have got a huge amount more stick than he did. so imo he was very lucky.

Mate, i've been playing the game for 35yrs and i've never seen anyone boot the ball out of the 'keepers hands and into the net and get away with it.
Until i watched that hopeless ref and his linesman Fri night give a goal i never believed it possible!

Let's face it, the officials didn't have a clue as to what went on regarding that incident! Mildy had all the time in the world to get that ball under his control and he did so i believed at the time, let's not kid ourselves here, it should have been a free-kick, we were cheated and you can put your laws of the game book back on the shelf mate.

It should have been a free-kick. Direct ? If so, for which offence?

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be
careless, reckless or using excessive force:
• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
• trips or attempts to trip an opponent
• jumps at an opponent
• charges an opponent
• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
• pushes an opponent
• tackles an opponent
A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following three offences:
• holds an opponent
• spits at an opponent
• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own
penalty area)

Maybe indirect?

An indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if, in the opinion of
the referee, a player:

• plays in a dangerous manner
• impedes the progress of an opponent
• prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands
• commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in Law 12, for which
play is stopped to caution or send off a player

The nearest we get to an appropriate offence is preventing the goalkeeper from releasing the ball with his hands and that is not applicable in this case.

Which bits ?? The fact that Mick is actually sticking up for the ****ing imbecile halfwit with a whistle, and said it was a valid goal or the exasperation it has caused amongst a few of us

To be honest, I'm probably playing devil's advocate here. Chances are I would have given the free-kick ! However the majority of criticism referees come in for here is a) unjustified and b) relating to decisions against Southend. Objectivity is not always foremost.

You know those occasional amusing incidents when the keeper is balancing the ball on one hand and there's a sneaky player behind him who heads it off and belts it into the empty net?

On what basis are those given as free kicks?

I know some stand and some don't, but the ref must be basing his choice on something...

Which bits ?? The fact that Mick is actually sticking up for the ****ing imbecile halfwit with a whistle, and said it was a valid goal or the exasperation it has caused amongst a few of us

Yes. Basically. I know he's trying to be clever with it all but the fact is, it was never a goal and should never have stood!

Kev

To be honest, I'm probably playing devil's advocate here. Chances are I would have given the free-kick ! However the majority of criticism referees come in for here is a) unjustified and b) relating to decisions against Southend. Objectivity is not always foremost.

i can understand all of that lol .. and if you are who i think you are, then i believe you reffed to a pretty high standard at some point hence my respect for your take on this, that said even now nearly a week later i STILL cannot believe a free kick wasn't awarded. The ref MUST have been unsighted but the lino* on the West side would have had a clear view of it

I refuse to use the term AR could he assisted with the square route of **** all

This must be the longest "Ref Watch" ever and Craig Pawson has not got a look in .. by christ i hope he has a good game on Saturday or else this thread could run and run

Assistants Elliott Kaye from Hainault,

My, my he has come a long way very quickly. He did his first senior game with me. A youth game, just before Xmas one season. We went out to Ealing and did QPR U19s v Brighton U19s. If I recall Brighton won 9-0 - and it was the most one sided senior match I ever did. Anyway, me and the other assistant just took the pee out of him all day. It sorta put him at ease. Be interesting to see how well he does tomorrow.

I've reffed people who have played for 35 years and don't have a Scooby about the Laws of the Game.

Anyway....

Just to spice this up a bit. I know Mick, and he is a very, very good referee. But to just to show how difficult this is, I thought the goal should have stood when it happened. This from the perfect view I didn't have from the Easte Greens :)

Having seen it since, I don't think the goal should have stood. I think Mildy had his hands around the ball and had it under control.

So that is two fairly decent referees who have two completely contrary views on the goal. Football is a game of opinion after all, and sometimes the opinion of a certain referee on a certain day is crucial.

Cheated? Nope. Unlucky? Yes.

Cheated? Nope. Unlucky? Yes.

But that's about the size of it though Kerry isn't it? Our luck with refs, on the whole, is pretty poor. You get one like at Stockport once in a blue moon, you get an average one slightly more frequently but the majority of what we get seem to be either poor or shockingly awful.

Refereeing games in todays professional football is a frankly an impossible task.The authorities have got to understand that referees need as much help as possible and yes shock, horror, that means, tv replays, every major sport has now embraced this to the benefit of the sport,football appears to think differently.
I'm always amused when people say referring decisions would slow the game down. Nothing slows the game down more than injured players having to leave the field of play, sometimes taking a minute or more to get off the pitch.
Southend would I'm sure be a least 6 points better off with the benefit of a tv referee.

The biggest problem I had with that "goal" was that clearly the officials had no idea, yet gave it anyway through shear guesswork. I thought they were always told that they must be 100% sure to give a goal in circumstances like that?

Back