• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

British values

The new oath could include "tolerating the views of others even if you disagree with them", "believing in freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom from abuse", "a belief in equality, democracy and the democratic process" and "respect for the law, even if you think the law is an ***,"
Says it right there in the article what the government is viewing British values as.

Does all seem a bit pointless though, people who don't agree with those things aren't suddenly going to follow them just because they have to swear an oath.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38355373

Perhaps someone can explain to me what "British values" are?
it's just another distraction from the do nothing government. People who hold public office include MPs - those who lied on both sides of the EU debate, those who cheated on their expenses claims, those who lead the public into big decisions then quit, those who swerve paying tax or deliberately create situations where others can do so, etc, etc. If he is going to tackle these things in the name of British values then all power to him. But he isn't. Its a distraction.

it's just another distraction from the do nothing government. People who hold public office include MPs - those who lied on both sides of the EU debate, those who cheated on their expenses claims, those who lead the public into big decisions then quit, those who swerve paying tax or deliberately create situations where others can do so, etc, etc. If he is going to tackle these things in the name of British values then all power to him. But he isn't. Its a distraction.

You forgot to add those that lead us into an illegal and totally unnecessary war by lying about WOMD.

You forgot to add those that lead us into an illegal and totally unnecessary war by lying about WOMD.
the 'etc, etc' covers many things, but though some of the Labour and Tory MPs that backed that are still in Parliament now it wasn't at the forefront of my mind as a week is a long time in politics so 13 years is a very long time.

I don't think "British" values are any great notion; or Nationally unique.
I do think that good manners, honesty, morality and charity are, too often, in short supply compared to rudeness, deceit, criminality and greed.

Being British hmmmm...hate that expression.

I'm English and damn proud !

One of the great British values is mistakenly believing that Britain is greater than everyone else's country.

Oh and thinking Great Britain actually means Britain is great. It is actually called that because it is the 'greatest' or largest of the British Isles, nothing to do with quality.

I realise this may sound quite unpatriotic but I've not seen much in the last six months to make me proud to be British unfortunately.

For me its
Thinking you are better then someone because they read a different newspaper then you.
Thinking you are better then someone else because they follow different politics to you and of course your view is the right view.
thinking you are better then someone else because of the clothes you wear or the car you drive.
Sorry to be arseist but i like living in a country where people say hello,goodbye and thankyou to you even if they dont know you.
Britain in the 50,s and 60,s had great values imho but now its just a bit too ferrel for my liking.

Complaining every St Patrick's day, Eid and Diwali that the PC brigade won't let us celebrate St Georges day when in reality no one can be bothered to organise anything.

For me its
Thinking you are better then someone because they read a different newspaper then you.
Thinking you are better then someone else because they follow different politics to you and of course your view is the right view.
thinking you are better then someone else because of the clothes you wear or the car you drive.
Sorry to be arseist but i like living in a country where people say hello,goodbye and thankyou to you even if they dont know you.
Britain in the 50,s and 60,s had great values imho but now its just a bit too ferrel for my liking.
I've only been around since the 70's so can't comment on times before that but I have lived in Essex, Surrey and South London and worked in many parts of London and because it is busy you do meet the odd **** but the vast majority of people are decent and approachable. I don't know what ferrel parts of the country you have visited but I know I've not been there.

I've only been around since the 70's so can't comment on times before that but I have lived in Essex, Surrey and South London and worked in many parts of London and because it is busy you do meet the odd **** but the vast majority of people are decent and approachable. I don't know what ferrel parts of the country you have visited but I know I've not been there.

Doubt if BS remembers the 50's too well anyway.I don't (and I was born in 51).

Back