• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown: I need better quality in attack

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown was left ruing his side’s lack of quality in the final third following a 2-0 defeat to Millwall at Roots Hall.

More...

Tell us something we don't know.
Every team is looking for a skilful fast forward.
Not easy to find.
But we all can see our chances of a play off place is doubtful with pig and mooney.
Need phil to find a gem from somewhere.

But we cant, or will not, pay the wages for the type of player your looking for Phil.

Needing better quality assumes we have quality at the moment. We don't. Mooney is well below average and Piggott is below average. They are both fully exposed and there's no improvement in them.
It's not a good quality striker the team needs. We just need an average striker or two, and they will improve the side, because the two that finished together last night were, are and always wil be impotent.

Did anyone see match of the day on Sat night ? They were talking about the young Watford striker and showed a chart, top 5 goal scorers across all 4 leagues so far in 2015, at number 5.....Barry Corr !!!!!!!

Wow, after two and a half years, Phil has finally woken up to what us know nothings have been saying. All the evidence suggests that an average to good striker or TWO does NOT come expensive and is NOT difficult to get hold of . Just cast your eye over all the league clubs in this division and division. 2 to see just how many have been scoring for fun and costing nowt!
Part of the problem is Phils overall mind set for defence, but the reality is as a club we have made and continue to make dreadful choices when it comes to assessing and bringing strikers in. Phil , his management team, scouts etc have produced the following as strikers. Barnard, Weston, O Toole, Coulthirst, Cassidy, Mooney, Pigott and Hunt. He also prefers to have the choice of just 3 strikers in the squad or 2 when Injuries occur, to other teams having the option usually of double that. Hardly a receipe for competition. Need to act fast in the January window , stop tabbing and hire someone who can spot a striker from a fence post

Love this forum , it's such warm place of love and harmony ! So all other threads , it's full of people wanting new attackers etc and when Brown comes out says exactly the same thing, he comes under fire for it ! Superb , love it !

Well we have Hunt coming back, Weston's pace to change games has also been missed as has the attaching flexibility that Machlaughlin gives you , however injuries aren't ever considered on here are they !!

The injury list that Brown has had to endure has been a nightmare, and during this night mare we saw an undefeated November which leaves us in the Top 9 places of league 1 .... Wow, what an awful season so far .

The problem I find with 1 bad result, which last night was, whilst also being a disappointing performance is that the negativity on here ( and in the toilets after the game last night ) becomes generic against the season as a whole !

Yes, last night was pretty disheartening , but it was also the worse the performance for some weeks, it wasn't a continuation of bad performances . We now have Deegan and Timlin chomping at the bit as well, 2 big players for us and as I stated previously Hunt and hopefully Weston . The dynamics can change and hopefully we can carry our November performances and heart into December.

All is not lost , but yes an improvement of last night is expected from the players on Saturday, that sentiment I concur with the masses !!

A good start would be not signing Pigott permanently and using the wages/fee (if there is one) on a better striker.

Last edited:
Gotta love Phil.

Phil must be the only manager who signs forwards who rarely score!

The list of flops is embarrassing .

Gotta love Phil.

And yet look where we are in the league ... Yep, I am truly embarrassed ! Like Burton fans, who I believe have scored less than us and are top of the league ... You're right, we should all be ashamed of our disgraceful position !

Or , have a day off !!

Gotta love Phil.

Its not only Phil , Tilson had a few that we let go , Hooper MacDonald Harrold failed for us and went on to score elsewhere

And yet look where we are in the league ... Yep, I am truly embarrassed ! Like Burton fans, who I believe have scored less than us and are top of the league ... You're right, we should all be ashamed of our disgraceful position !

Or , have a day off !!

Look who is scoring goals for us...it's not the strikers

Its not only Phil , Tilson had a few that we let go , Hooper MacDonald Harrold failed for us and went on to score elsewhere

Think the basics are that most forwards don't actually score that much. One in three is considered a good record yet that would only 15+ a season which is more than our current crop will get but its still not that much.

I also think the wingers need to get more. Worrall has one? McLaughlin one? Hurst and Weston nil league goals. Only Lenny really adds anything from the midfield goals wise.

Our current forwards recent records.

Hunt,

Mooney,

Pigott,

Too many 0's.

Our current forwards recent records.

Hunt,

Mooney,

Pigott,

Too many 0's.

Is this a Binary lesson?

He shouldve realised this ages ago and got another body in, worked better on set pieces on the training ground, and encouraged more of our midfielders to get into the box and bust a gut to get on the end of crosses.

Back