• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown: No room in the squad for Owen Garvan

I have no dislike for the Deegan, but why re-sign the bloke when Garvan could had been on a permanent with us instead? I understand 'the great bloke with fans' bit, and the 'you need him in the trenches when it gets dirty' bit, but Garvan was a better player. Maybe it was just a timing thing and never meant to be.

I have no dislike for the Deegan, but why re-sign the bloke when Garvan could had been on a permanent with us instead? I understand 'the great bloke with fans' bit, and the 'you need him in the trenches when it gets dirty' bit, but Garvan was a better player. Maybe it was just a timing thing and never meant to be.

I agree but I'd assume that deegans wages are nothing like what garvan would be asking, I hope so anyway

Brown also mentioned he is left footed. Maybe he thinks we have too many left footed midfielders and that will unbalance the squad, rather than a like for like with Deegan?

People keep bringing up Deegan, but he is the one midfielder that plays a different role to Garvan.

If anything people should be questioning should we have not signed Wordsworth because they are both attacking minded midfielders. Garvan plays a role that two or three players already play, he would have had to be outstanding to have been signed, Deegan or no Deegan.

People keep bringing up Deegan, but he is the one midfielder that plays a different role to Garvan.

If anything people should be questioning should we have not signed Wordsworth because they are both attacking minded midfielders. Garvan plays a role that two or three players already play, how would have had to be outstanding to have been signed, Deegan or no Deegan.

I was one of those people that suggested Garvan instead of Deegan, and I did so because I think he is a better player, albeit different, as you say. I think that Lenny and Timlin could do the Deegan role, and maybe even Atkinson. More importantly, in my view, it could have given us a more potent goal scoring set up from the middle boys. At the end of the day its about opinions, but as I said earlier, it was not meant to be.

I dont think the likes of Atkinson and Timlin can do what Deegan does, but even if they could that doenst change the fact that we have Timlin/Wordsworth/Payne who can play midfield roles Garvan does.

Even if we hadnt signed Deegan we have too many players playing where Garvan would.

Look at tonights side, Deegan isnt even in the squad, but where would Garvan fit?

I dont think the likes of Atkinson and Timlin can do what Deegan does, but even if they could that doenst change the fact that we have Timlin/Wordsworth/Payne who can play midfield roles Garvan does.

Even if we hadnt signed Deegan we have too many players playing where Garvan would.

Look at tonights side, Deegan isnt even in the squad, but where would Garvan fit?

As I said earlier it's about opinions. We disagree about others playing Deegan's role, and of course Garvan would have had to earn a place amongst the other middle men. I also believe he would have bought a bit more class and culture to the side, but we will never know.

I would rather have signed Garvan than Deegan, even though it isn't a like for like, he's a better player. I'm hoping Deegan was cheap, but personally I don't think he is mobile enough for League One, as was shown against Walsall. Must rather have a Timlin or Atkinson doing that roll as they hassle, close down and track runners which, I'm sorry, Deegan doesn't do

Add to that the experience at playing at a higher level that Garvan offers over Deegan. But in Deegan's defence he is a lot cheaper than Garvan would ever have be and now we have signed McLaughlin if all stay fit I can't see Deegan playing much at all, which is something Garvan wouldn't stand for and would be on a fair packet.

Again, forget Deegan for one minute.

Deegan isnt even in the squad tonight, where would Garvan fit in?

The problem is not Deegan being here, its that even him not in the squad we have too many midfielders that play Garvans position.

Again, forget Deegan for one minute.

Deegan isnt even in the squad tonight, where Garvan he fit in?

The problem is not Deegan being here, its that even him not in the squad we have too many midfielders that play Garvans position.

I agree on the Deegan point. I would liked to have seen a player of his pedigree in the squad to challenge the others. Anyway he's gone to the cousins so it's immaterial what any of us think.

Out of interest, ive never seen Garvin play so know nothing about him, apart from where he was played and the level he has played at.. What sort of midfielder is he? What kind of role does he play?

Out of interest, ive never seen Garvin play so know nothing about him, apart from where he was played and the level he has played at.. What sort of midfielder is he? What kind of role does he play?

He's a sort of a girlie player who loves to sheep dog other players, which is why he accepted a short contract at Col Ewe.:COL U:

Back