• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown: Ten places are now up for grabs in the starting line up

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown insisted 10 places in the Shrimpers starting line-up were under threat following Saturday's 3-0 defeat to Doncaster Rovers.

More...

To even say Bentley's place is under threat is just a joke. He honestly hasn't been that bad it's just we're used to his very high standards.

All to give the players a good kick up the backside, wait until Saturday comes and we will see about two changes at most from the team that played last Saturday :unsure:

Rubbish. A 4-0 home defeat and a 3-0 home defeat right afterwards mean there are serious recent problems that need addressing throughout the team. The coaching staff see more than just the view from the stands and may be referring to any part of a player's overall contribution or demeanour when demanding an improvement. It doesn't mean the team can't do it but just that they manifestly aren't right now - and whatever the manager thinks is needed to generate that improvement should be supported by us

I always prefer when we play with two wingers. My team would be

Bentley
White Thompson Prosser Coker
Worrall Leonard Timlin Mclaughlin
Hunt Payne.

He must be confident of bringing some players in then as with Rea & Pigott going back, and Bolger, Timlin, Weston & Wordworth injured, Coker with a knock, how many changes can we really make?

Nice of him to defend formation and tactics. Everyone in the club has got it wrong except him. Wazzock! He showed clearly he learned nothing from recent games and displays an inability to make necessary change. Someone needs to buy him a mirror.

To even say Bentley's place is under threat is just a joke. He honestly hasn't been that bad it's just we're used to his very high standards.

Unless Bentley is off in January, thus his place would be available.

Priceless Phil,

10 possible changes,must be playing the yoofs then.

That's rose tinted. If Paul smith played like Bentley he would have been crucified in the last two games. Every player needs to be told what level of performance is/is not acceptable, Bentley is no different (even if the reality is brown has no intention of dropping them and hopes that whatever he does this week does the trick and on Saturday we start playing again)

I actually agree with Brown's comments , he demands high tempo'd pressing to win the ball back and a lot of our wins have probably come from our togetherness and by having a lot of leaders on the pitch , if players have stopped applying themselves in that way then he has every right to be angry .

I would be more upset if Brown said , i am happy with the players and the way they played in last 2 games and these 7 goals were just a blip .

Ive heard from people in the know that Brown is the first to praise them and give them a pat on the back and is very positive on the training ground and dressing room so they have to take the rough with the smooth , too right no player should be guaranteed a start after the 2 previous games we've been served up .

I also agree that Brown did get a few things wrong but that i'm hoping will also be addressed

I honestly think Phil worries too much about the opposition,fair enough if we playing against world class guys but the truth is we are playing league 1 standard,true some of the opposition have good players but so do we,utilise our guys better and results will follow.

I honestly think Phil worries too much about the opposition,fair enough if we playing against world class guys but the truth is we are playing league 1 standard,true some of the opposition have good players but so do we,utilise our guys better and results will follow.

I completely agree. Several times this season and last PB has been more concerned about the opposition tactics amd formation rather than playing to our strengths. On Saturday we were at home, high in the L1 form table and above Doncaster in the league; why didn't we concentrate on our strengths rather than trying to negate theirs!

Back