• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As this thread seems to have rapidly moved on to selecting a new manager, can I ask why the only people under consideration seem to be ex-players? Kevin Maher, Chris Powell, Adam Barrett - why are these three good candidates? And don't give me this 'knows the club' nonsense - the best managers in the business don't often 'know the club' so why does ours have to? Are you worried they won't be able to find their way to the loo?

That Steve Tilson didn't too bad eh? But of course you're right, Powell at least has managerial experience.

Why would anyone be joking about Gareth Ainsworth as Phil Brown's possible successor? He has been excellent at Wycombe on a very limited budget and that is no mean achievement. For me, the real test of a manager when they can produce good teams at clubs that are basically skint. On that basis, Ainsworth has done pretty well.

Completely agree. Wycombe have a small budget and a small playing squad and yet still Ainsworth gets them challenging at at the right end of the table. They do what they have to do to get results - within the laws of the game. It always amuses me that some people are offended by Ainsworth and Wycombe simply because they don't roll over and die.

As this thread seems to have rapidly moved on to selecting a new manager, can I ask why the only people under consideration seem to be ex-players? Kevin Maher, Chris Powell, Adam Barrett - why are these three good candidates? And don't give me this 'knows the club' nonsense - the best managers in the business don't often 'know the club' so why does ours have to? Are you worried they won't be able to find their way to the loo?

Powell is a decent manager. Charlton were in a much better position before he got sacked compared to now and it was widely acknowledged that he was very unlucky to lose his job at Huddersfield. He's already led Charlton out of this division with an outstanding points tally so he knows how to win promotion from this level. In my opinion I think he'd be a good appointment and would get time from the fans because of his previous association with the club. We could do a lot worse.

Completely agree. Wycombe have a small budget and a small playing squad and yet still Ainsworth gets them challenging at at the right end of the table. They do what they have to do to get results - within the laws of the game. It always amuses me that some people are offended by Ainsworth and Wycombe simply because they don't roll over and die.

Not dissing Ainsworth's efforts at Wycombe but there is a myth that because Southend have a bigger squad they have a much bigger budget.

Managers are given a budget in the summer (reviewed in January) and they can choose to spend it on 18 players or 24. Its the total wage bill that's the bottom line, not squad size. At Wembley there were Wycombe players who were earning more than their opposite number in a Southend shirt.

PB spread his money over a bigger squad and that proved to good decision when you look at our finish to the season compared to Wycombe who should have easily made the automatics but due to injuries fell away badly. It certainly showed during extra time at Wembley.

No it's because Southend he won't looking to go at every opportunity how about some loyalty come out and say I'm staying put and give the players a boost

No it's because Southend he won't looking to go at every opportunity how about some loyalty come out and say I'm staying put and give the players a boost

This latest line in 'Brown is going' began just before the weekend. On Monday we play league leaders, Burton and Phil Brown's only job is to prepare his squad for the game, not to put out denials or otherwise. There is absolutely no firm evidence that he will be offered the job, so why deny it?

I actually do some business with the guy that is leading the consortium so I am going to ask him tomorrow.

My contact will be seeing Phil in the next two days, so I will let you know if I hear anything that I am allowed to put on here. But I think it's the same situation as has happened since Wembley numerous times, and a couple of bigger clubs than Bolton. Clubs want Phil Brown. They approach Ron Martin as to his availability and whether they can talk to Phil. Ron tells them he is not available. Ron tells Phil of the approach. Phil is flattered but wants to stay here for now, and finish the job he has started.
So I can't believe some of you are picking the new Manager.

i'd be surprised if Brown went. Bolton, sadly for them, are a basket case. I would be very surprised if Dean Holdsworth was the man to sort that out given his record. Even if he's just a figurehead and there are some serious people there there have to be questions.
But, even if we're in the same league next season, Bolton are a much bigger club and I could see the appeal.

If Brown did leave I'd like to see Chris Powell. Ainsworth has done very well at Wycombe and I like him but he'd cost and Powell wouldn't.
i'd be happy for Brown to stay though

I thought they rolled over a bit too much.

I actually do some business with the guy that is leading the consortium so I am going to ask him tomorrow.
I buy from a company in Bolton and their driver told me the consortium possibilityotake over and Browns name was mentioned why did he say no truth in rotheroom rumour if it's crap say it's crap Bolton are still a big club

My contact will be seeing Phil in the next two days, so I will let you know if I hear anything that I am allowed to put on here. But I think it's the same situation as has happened since Wembley numerous times, and a couple of bigger clubs than Bolton. Clubs want Phil Brown. They approach Ron Martin as to his availability and whether they can talk to Phil. Ron tells them he is not available. Ron tells Phil of the approach. Phil is flattered but wants to stay here for now, and finish the job he has started.
So I can't believe some of you are picking the new Manager.

This is confirmed on the back and inside of the Echo. Ron Martin said that Bolton haven't been in contact yet, but even if they did, he wouldn't let them talk to Phil Brown. He also said that the contract has been structured so that the longer PB stays and the greater the clubs success, the more PB benefits. Stadium announcement soon regarding British Land and the council.

This is confirmed on the back and inside of the Echo. Ron Martin said that Bolton haven't been in contact yet, but even if they did, he wouldn't let them talk to Phil Brown. He also said that the contract has been structured so that the longer PB stays and the greater the clubs success, the more PB benefits. Stadium announcement soon regarding British Land and the council.

This can't be true TSNB, according to a lot of posts on this thread he is already on his way and it just remains for us to pick his replacement. I think you better dump your informant:winking:

Yet another starting timeline to push out that will no doubt come and go. I would rather he just kept his mouth shut and when it was due to start and there are diggers on the site he can put a picture up of himself with a spade and hard hat on, then I will believe.

Back