• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Buying a boat advice

Aberdeen Shrimper

The Man who sold the world
I am going to buy a boat this spring/summer and would like some advice regarding pitfalls etc etc.

Budget will be around £7,000 to £10,000
Purpose is predominately fishing but if i can get a boat with sleeping, cooking and toilet facilities that I could maybe spend a weekend or even week on that would be a real bonus.

I have got my name down on the waiting list for Peterhead Marina which is about 20 mins form me but still not sure if i should birth it there or maybe do "trailer boating"

I have got a days course booked for boat handling and a VHF Ship to shore course booked (mandatory for Peterhead harbour).

Any boat owners out there who know the pitfalls.

I am going to buy a boat this spring/summer and would like some advice regarding pitfalls etc etc.

Purpose is predominately fishing but if i can get a boat with sleeping, cooking and toilet facilities that I could maybe spend a weekend or even week on that would be a real bonus.

I have got my name down on the waiting list for Peterhead Marina which is about 20 mins form me but still not sure if i should birth it there or maybe do "trailer boating"

I have got a days course booked for boat handling and a VHF Ship to shore course booked (mandatory for Peterhead harbour).

Firstly look at mooring fee's, what they charge to lift the boat out of the water, trailer moves etc if you are not keeping the boat on a trailer yourself at home.
I am looking at buying a 14ft orkney when I move, should set me back around 4 k so well within your budget.

When looking spread your search wide as in check out spanish ebay or for that most european countries.

Good advise. Also transporting it back to the UK isn't as expensive as you might think. Some boat transporters would pick up in Spain and transport to Aberdeen for around £1400 which is a very good price.

Avoid outboard engines, go for a shaft driven diesel (no out drives or Z drives). Unless you enjoy doing bags of maintenance go for GRP (fibreglass)and the less external wood the less work you will have. If you plan to leave the boat on a mooring that dries out go for bilge keels so that the boats sits upright on the mud.

If you plan to go fishing out in the estuary you will need a boat in excess of 20 feet - IMO best fishing boats in your price range would be Mitchell 23 or IP 23. Both have displacement hulls and therefore will not be fast. They are both sturdy well built boats - dont be put off by their age. Plenty of good ones around are over 30 years old.

hope this helps

Check there is enough space to land your helicopter before buying the boat otherwise you could be left with egg on your face.

It wasn't a complete loss since I used the space for a swimming pool instead.

Thanks or the advice, I did consider looking abroad but getting it back and the viewing of it puts me off.

The Marina charge £78 + VAT per meter for six months. It is apparently a really good marian, although the swell about half a mile out rarely drops below a meter, which sounds a wee bit hairy for me!!

I am leaning more to the idea of "trailer boating" which would give me access to the Caledonian canal and loch Ness as we are only 2 to 3 hours form there. I was looking at a around 21 to 25 foot, outboard or inboard (although seen the advice about outboards)

There is a Shetland 610 in Elgin which is about 2 hours away....I am going to go an have a look at that at the weekend.

Cheers again for the advice......link below if for Peterhead Marina.

http://www.peterheadport.co.uk/peterhead_bay_marina.htm

Buy one with no holes

Back