• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can City crash the top four?

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers šŸ¤ ā­
Now the Premiership is under way, and the transfer window is shut until January, do we think Man City can break into the top four this season?

They have started extremely well so far, not yet conceded a goal and won every game so far. On paper they have one of the best starting line ups in the Premiership in my opinion, and its an incredibly well balanced side as well:

Given

Richards Toure Lescott Bridge

Wright-Phillips Ireland Barry

Tevez Adebayor Robinho

Then they have the likes of Petrov, Santa Cruz and Bellamy to come off the bench as well.

With Chelsea starting very well, Man Utd not clicking into gear, Arsenal looking good and Liverpool looking very ordinary, do you think City will break into the top four this season?

I think they will. Take Gerrard and Torres out of the Liverpool side and they will struggle, and with Liverpool's start to the season so far, I can see they being the team to miss out which I think will mean the end of Benitiz as well.

Short answer is yes. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it's Spurs that gatecrash the top 4 and not City.

Good assesmen BTW, and Chelsea look streets ahead of the others currently. Man Ure look a bit lost without Ronaldo, Liverpool just look lost, and Arsenal look very promising.

I think Liverpool will drop out of the top 4 this season.

I've been listening to Five Live all evening and David Pleat was on earlier. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea (I happen to think he's an excellent pundit, just not a great co-commentator) and he was too was suggesting that Liverpool are looking vulnerable.

They've not really improved all that much, if at all, from last season whilst Man City have come on loads. Admittedly City have only beaten some pretty average sides this season, but two away wins is important given how poor their away form was last year.

I think they can, they have started very well as have Spurs and I hope they can both keep it up as it will make it more interesting than 'the big 4' going at it.

I think Liverpool may be the side to drop out the top 4 this season, if you take out Torres and Gerrard they don't offer much threat.

I said that Man City would finish top two before the season started and haven't seen anything to change my mind since. They just look like they have the strongest squad of the lot, have bought good, experienced players who know what the Premier League is all about and they'll benefit from everyone else having gone backwards.

I actually think that this will be the most exciting, and probably lowest quality, Premier League in years.

Over the last few years the talk has always been of which team can break the top 4, this time it's City's turn. To my mind it will take excellent seasons from City, Spurs, Villa & Everton for just one of them to make it, with all of them taking wins (not just draws) off the "big four", one team can't do it alone.

Back