• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Capey

However crude a trick it might be, leaking that "dossier" should certainly give cause for thought on a lot of Pietersen's claims about being a team player and a helpful aide for the younger players. Taking them out drinking, publicly deriding them all as useless and questioning Cook's captaincy in front of them probably isn't the best example to be setting.

That said, it's embarrassing for the governing body of a sport to have to sink to such depths in order to defend themselves. If this was conducted by the FA, the back pages would be screaming for reform. If Pietersen's book has done anything, it's cast more shame upon an already embattled organisation.

However crude a trick it might be, leaking that "dossier" should certainly give cause for thought on a lot of Pietersen's claims about being a team player and a helpful aide for the younger players. Taking them out drinking, publicly deriding them all as useless and questioning Cook's captaincy in front of them probably isn't the best example to be setting.

That said, it's embarrassing for the governing body of a sport to have to sink to such depths in order to defend themselves. If this was conducted by the FA, the back pages would be screaming for reform. If Pietersen's book has done anything, it's cast more shame upon an already embattled organisation.

Bearing in mind this was leaked, it's unlikely that the ECB were aware. However, what is interesting is that they have this "dossier" at all.

According to Swanny KP's book is a work of fiction...although interestingly Michael Vaughan seems to be supporting him to some extent.

Either way, this will blow over in a few weeks/months, KP will have made his money from his book and it will all be forgotten, and KP won't play for England again, regardless of the fact that he would like to.

One thing that does seem a shame is that - from what I read in the papers - Kevin Pietersen's book is mainly about bust-ups and disagreements rather than cricket. Mike Atherton wrote in The Times today that it was only when Pietersen got chatting about the game at last night's book launch that he - and the audience - really became engaged.

The man has scored more runs for England than anyone else and it is a pity that all this nonsense is perhaps hiding away some more interesting stuff.

Incidentally, and I don't know if this makes the book, he named Jacques Kallis as the best cricketer he has ever played against.

Bearing in mind this was leaked, it's unlikely that the ECB were aware. However, what is interesting is that they have this "dossier" at all.

According to Swanny KP's book is a work of fiction...although interestingly Michael Vaughan seems to be supporting him to some extent.

Either way, this will blow over in a few weeks/months, KP will have made his money from his book and it will all be forgotten, and KP won't play for England again, regardless of the fact that he would like to.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The ECB can't be seen to be disputing Pietersen's claims in public as that would be unedifying, but a legal email leaked "beyond their control" is a means of getting their side out there without getting drawn into a public spat. One of Pietersen's key complaints over the last 10 months has been the way in which he hasn't been able to speak on the subject, but the ECB, or at least its members, have been caught briefing journalists as to his misdemeanors for stories that then emerge in the national press. They're well aware of what they're doing.

I see Ponting's come out and backed up Pietersen's claims this morning as well...

One thing that does seem a shame is that - from what I read in the papers - Kevin Pietersen's book is mainly about bust-ups and disagreements rather than cricket. Mike Atherton wrote in The Times today that it was only when Pietersen got chatting about the game at last night's book launch that he - and the audience - really became engaged.

The man has scored more runs for England than anyone else and it is a pity that all this nonsense is perhaps hiding away some more interesting stuff.

Incidentally, and I don't know if this makes the book, he named Jacques Kallis as the best cricketer he has ever played against.

Aye, and this is why I've little interest in buying it. What's interesting about it? At least Keane's book is supposed to give great insight into not just the manufacturing of football clubs behind the scenes, but an inside track into how the mind of one of his generation's greatest footballers works and how, despite all the plaudits and medals, he's still struggled with self doubt and worries over his application of such skills into management/coaching. If I wanted to read a load of childish squabbles I'd start a thread about Lee Barnard being the mastermind behind 9/11.

Yeah that's a really valid point.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The ECB can't be seen to be disputing Pietersen's claims in public as that would be unedifying, but a legal email leaked "beyond their control" is a means of getting their side out there without getting drawn into a public spat. One of Pietersen's key complaints over the last 10 months has been the way in which he hasn't been able to speak on the subject, but the ECB, or at least its members, have been caught briefing journalists as to his misdemeanors for stories that then emerge in the national press. They're well aware of what they're doing.

For clarity, I didn't say I was sure. I said it is unlikely. That leaves the door open because, as you say, it might be the case.

It might also be the case that someone got ****ed off with KP and leaked the email without the ECB's knowledge.

For me the latter is more likely, but both are possible. Hence me only saying it is unlikely.

Of course Swann is going to deny the allegations against him. More telling is Chris Tremlett and Ajmal Shahzad coming out in support of Capey.

If you've been following the ECB closely over the last handful of years or so you'd be aware that they are leakier than our defence was under Dick Bate. They've conducted a systematic campaign of briefing against Capey.

The world of cricket journalism and administration is an incredibly incestuous one. The ECB Managing Director Paul Downton is an old team-mate of the BBC's cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew, the Guardian's cricket correspondent Mike Selvey, the Telegraph's Derek Pringle, former Independent chief cricket writer Angus Fraser and C5's Simon Hughes. You don't often see them challenging the ECB party line that is (quote literally as this is often over lunch) fed to them. When they do, you know the ECB is in trouble.

Etheridge at the Sun is an employee of News International and they aren't allowed to criticise England because Sky have the exclusive TV contract (see how the ECB leant on Sky after Warne criticised Cook's captaincy). Paul Newman at the Mail is the main outlet for the leaks and has been an unofficial spokesman for the ECB for several years. He's been as bad as cheerleading for the ECB as Piers Moron has been for Capey and has completely given up any pretence of impartiality. A non-Capey example of how the ECB operate is earlier this summer when Cook's captaincy was coming under fire, the ECB leaked something about Bell to demonstrate that he wasn't a viable candidate and that Cook was the only main for the job.

See how the dossier story unfurled. Cricinfo - generally the most objective reporters out there with the likes of George Dobell and David Hopps - broke the story but the ECB's backtracking came via Agnew, completely uncredited, parroting the ECB line that it wasn't the dossier, as if that somehow made it all alright.

Yeah that's a really valid point.

The one about Kallis isn't.

The one about Kallis isn't.

But it might have been good if he'd used the book to talk about it, right*? Pietersen has played with or against every leading cricketer of the last decade - it'd be good to know why he ranks Kallis ahead of (say) Sachin, Punter or Napier.

*Maybe he has; I've not seen the book yet. But it's not got a mention anywhere!

I think he'll mention the greatest batsman of the modern (ie the helmeted) era, as he finished Lara's career with a run-out.

Sadly never played against him tests though.

Back