• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

nicko1710

Last week, thought making Timlin captain against Millwall was great, motivated him even more and then rubbed off on all the other players, except Pigott of course.
John White is a solid player but is he leader ? , and may not even be first choice with O'Neill on the scene now.
Who would your captain be ?

Its a piece of cloth, it doesnt make any difference.

JW is club captain so he should get it back as soon as he is on the pitch, if not then Timlin or Barrett.

The likes of Timlin, Hunt and Barrett will lead by example anyway.

Johnnie Jackson was on Football League Tonight last week and he's Club Captain at Charlton but currently not in the team.

Nothing wrong with White being our club captain as we don't know what he does behind the scenes on a match day or at the training ground.

I thought it slightly strange it was Timlin with the armband though as Lenny is usually our Vice when JW is unavailable. Maybe it was a final 2 fingers to Millwall who tried to sign Tims in the summer to give him the armband.

Its a piece of cloth, it doesnt make any difference.

JW is club captain so he should get it back as soon as he is on the pitch, if not then Timlin or Barrett.

The likes of Timlin, Hunt and Barrett will lead by example anyway.

To you it may be a piece of cloth but to others it entirely affects their behaviour with and without.

White was 2nd in players player of the year...so they clearly respect their leader. Timlin is always vocal regardless of armband or not, as is Barrett.

White was 2nd in players player of the year...so they clearly respect their leader. Timlin is always vocal regardless of armband or not, as is Barrett.

Absolutely agree with this. I would add Hunt to the list of on pitch leaders as well.

Johnnie Jackson was on Football League Tonight last week and he's Club Captain at Charlton but currently not in the team.

Nothing wrong with White being our club captain as we don't know what he does behind the scenes on a match day or at the training ground.

I thought it slightly strange it was Timlin with the armband though as Lenny is usually our Vice when JW is unavailable. Maybe it was a final 2 fingers to Millwall who tried to sign Tims in the summer to give him the armband.

agree, but seeing as Tims' boyhood club is Millwall makes sense aswell

Last week, thought making Timlin captain against Millwall was great, motivated him even more and then rubbed off on all the other players, except Pigott of course.
John White is a solid player but is he leader ? , and may not even be first choice with O'Neill on the scene now.
Who would your captain be ?

Let's not turn every thread into a Pigott-bash. Your thread stood up quite well without that snipe.

Other than that I agree that Timlin appeared to take great pride from that little bit of material on his arm.

I generally agree that the captain's armband is largely symbolic - especially when you have a manager and assistant manager micro-managing from the "technical area" (whatever that is supposed to be).

When I played football I was rather an even tempered individual who played as well as I could each game - there were some players that spent the whole match shouting (and ranting) but I never took much notice of them whether they were captain or not.

Having said that there are some players that need a little assistance on the pitch from time to time - especially those that are hot headed and need calming down. Good intervention from the captain can reduce the risk of yellow cards or a sending off.

Its not a Pigott bash just saying it as I saw it on the day, other players got their chance on the day and responded with pride and effort ... Deegan, Prosser and O'Neill .. Mr Pigott will always be a hero for his Wembley Goals and performances last season, but he didn't look interested on Saturday when he should have taken his opportunity to show what he can do.

I generally agree that the captain's armband is largely symbolic - especially when you have a manager and assistant manager micro-managing from the "technical area" (whatever that is supposed to be).

When I played football I was rather an even tempered individual who played as well as I could each game - there were some players that spent the whole match shouting (and ranting) but I never took much notice of them whether they were captain or not.

Having said that there are some players that need a little assistance on the pitch from time to time - especially those that are hot headed and need calming down. Good intervention from the captain can reduce the risk of yellow cards or a sending off.

a worthwhile virtue, Rattus, and one you appear to have bought to ShrimperZone as well.

Its not a Pigott bash just saying it as I saw it on the day, other players got their chance on the day and responded with pride and effort ... Deegan, Prosser and O'Neill .. Mr Pigott will always be a hero for his Wembley Goals and performances last season, but he didn't look interested on Saturday when he should have taken his opportunity to show what he can do.

Do you mean he should have gobbled up all those chances created for him? Because I may be wrong but the only chances I remember us creating on Saturday were the goals. And had the referee been looking, Pigott would have won a penalty. Every game is a frustrating one for a striker under Brown, I'm afraid.

Do you mean he should have gobbled up all those chances created for him? Because I may be wrong but the only chances I remember us creating on Saturday were the goals. And had the referee been looking, Pigott would have won a penalty. Every game is a frustrating one for a striker under Brown, I'm afraid.

Interesting split opinion on Pigott's performance (and one that I wasn't there to see).

Some say he was disinterested, showed little effort and was unable to hold up the ball - others say that he had little service, was fouled for a possible penalty, created space for others and did his share of defending.

In the end he was part of a winning team so perhaps that sways opinions.

Perhaps a captain in midfield would be able to influence him during the game to some degree.

Back