• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

One thing I found interesting today was whilst Pigott was standing in front of their goalkeeper at a corner kick, Kettle warned Pigott that he had to allow the keeper a free run.

Surely if he's not by way of contact impeding the keeper and just standing his ground then he is not under obligation to move out of the way of him?

For Carlisle's first corner he must have thought he was refereeing the wrong code, that looked more like a Rugby Union scrum; some in the West were even shouting 'PUSH, PUSH!'.

For the penalty shout, admittedly from a long way away, it looked like Smith got a hand to the ball, pushed it onto the oncoming player from where it shot away for the goal kick before the Carlisle player went over, some you win some you lose. If I was Carlisle I'd have been shouting for it but that's football.

For me bonus was Ted Smith got his first League clean sheet, that may prove to be priceless for his future development.....

... A referee noted for extreme over reactions and maverick decisions....

Kettle didn't get much right all game but the lino in front in front of the West stand was just awful

lino was the worst I have seen in many years , he missed blatant shirt pulling and two corners , woeful.....

Well on the evidence of yesterday's match and his record for the season, he seems to have eradicated the "maverick decisions and extreme over reactions" from his game. That just leaves all the generally poor decision making.

That assistant was indeed poor but this was not unexpected. Michael George referees at Conference South level and I saw him ruin a match at Concord last season.

That assistant was indeed poor but this was not unexpected. Michael George referees at Conference South level and I saw him ruin a match at Concord last season.

I don't understand the way this works, but to me, I would have thought to be able to run a line at a league match you should be reffing at only one level below? That would seem more logical.

I don't understand the way this works, but to me, I would have thought to be able to run a line at a league match you should be reffing at only one level below? That would seem more logical.

Numbers don't add up. There are 243 Assistant Referees on the League List. If they all refereed Conference Premier, they'd only get two games a season !

I just wonder how many pages this thread would have run to if we had been on the end of the, correct, decision not to award a penalty yesterday. That was an absolutely top piece of refereeing and the best single decision I have seen all season. The only thing that perplexed me was why he didn't caution the forward for a dive (which it was).

I like Kettle, always have. He may not be the best, but he doesn't mess around and will do the stuff others won't. Plus its always interesting with him around.

I have to agree though, even from the East Stand, the assistant on the opposite side looked out of his depth. Why he gave a foul from "over the shoulder of the referee", I don't know. You get slaughtered for doing that on ESL level, let alone Football League.

Numbers don't add up. There are 243 Assistant Referees on the League List. If they all refereed Conference Premier, they'd only get two games a season !

Ok, I suppose that explains it, maybe they ought to start coaching a few more up to standard then if he was anything to go by!

What EXACTLY do you expect. You moan and whinge and bitch about pretty much every referee you ever see; usually from a position of complete ignorance of the Laws.

Slight over-reaction there I think, and it was the assistant ref that I, and several others took issue with. I suggest you may like to re-read my comments on this thread instead of jumping down my throat!

Shirt pulling is my biggest bug bear. SO MUCH goes unpunished, particularly by defenders from set-pieces. In fact defenders generally seem to have free reign to impede attacking players from set-pieces, yet any slight infringement by an attacker is penalised.

This was particularly evident on Saturday and particularly frustrating!

A question? does the ref ever go to the managers before the game and say "I am going to award fee kicks/ pens for shirt pulling, right from kick off, tell your players I WILL punish the offence even after 10 seconds".
I ask as I see refs ignoring it in early stages, hence they have difficulties changing "policy" mid game.

Back