• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Charles Kennedy

Charles Kennedy - Boozer or Leader?

• Fight for the leadership

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quit now, and begone

• Am I bovvered?

• Total voters

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
Following Charles Kennedy's admission that he has been fighting alcoholism for the last 18 months, what do you think should happen vis-a-vis his leadershp of the Lib Dems?

So, what do you think?

a) He has beaten the bottle - and, with a clean bill of health, he's now the best man to lead the party to try and beat the Tories.

b) He fibbed about and concealed his alcoholism for the last 18 months; even if he has beaten off alcoholism (which is not clear), he patently cannot be trusted and he should therefore resign immediately, to prevent any further damage being done to the party.

c) Charles who? Who are the Lib Dems, and why should I care...?

rock.gif

You decide!

smile.gif

Matt

He's lost the party now. Bye Charlie.

1/12 with Ladbrokes not to be in charge for this May's council elections.

If you take heed of other alcoholics, you are never cured. Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic. They are always one drink away from reverting. So for Kennedy to say he is cured is crass and naive.

It is also a pretty poorly kept secret that Kennedy has had a battle with the bottle. His fumbling performances in the last election are testament to this. The Libs have to elect a new leader as a consequence, and also to fight the rise of David Cameron leader of New New New Labour.

Therefore my vote is are we bovvered!

there is nothing wrong with being a p%&s head.. even if you do have aspirations to have your finger on the nuclear button.. kennedys problem is being a boring tw&t who expects to win elections by saying he is going to tax people more.. if you cant even lie when your p%&sed what chance do u have in politics...

Someone on the radio said earlier,
"he's scottish, in fact, he's scottish with Celt red hair, now he says he's an alchoholic and are we supposed to be surprised?"

Sureley that's racist? funny ......but prejudiced?

Are the 2 mutually exclusive then?

I'm a drunk accountant and i think I do it rather well. I appreciate with politicians its all about credibility but I think its a nothing story myself.

Just something to put the party back in the news.

He's Lib Dem fer crissakes....It doesn't matter a flying f**k what anyone thinks of him, it will make bugger all difference to British politics :-)

Mind you I am wondering if Sitting on the Fence whilst p****d is a very wise move

I reckon he only decided to kick the habit when he realised that he was finding Shirley Williams attractive .....

I watched the news conference on Beeb when the story broke with a sense of mirth as it was all too similar to the Little Britain "Disgraced MP" sketch they have been doing.

in closing Kennedy even said "And that's all I have to say on the matter....."

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Jan. 06 2006,14:12)]If you take heed of other alcoholics, you are never cured. Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic. They are always one drink away from reverting. So for Kennedy to say he is cured is crass and naive.
Not sure I agree with that mate. One of my family members is a recovering alcoholic, and I can safely say, he would never ever touch a drop again.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CANV @ Jan. 06 2006,15:35)]kennedys problem is being a boring tw&t who expects to win elections by saying he is going to tax people more..  
I'd say that's more a sad reflection on the UK elecorate than on Charles Kennedy and the Lib Dems.

We all say we want better roads, schools, health service, policing etc etc etc. However when it comes to casting our vote the vast majority take the selfish option of which party they mistakenly beleive will charge them less tax.

At least the Lib Dems (despite many other faults) say - "what you want costs money, we will charge you more tax and spend it on the things you want improved". To me that's just common sense, but then perhaps I'm strange.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Jan. 07 2006,21:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CANV @ Jan. 06 2006,15:35)]kennedys problem is being a boring tw&t who expects to win elections by saying he is going to tax people more..  
I'd say that's more a sad reflection on the UK elecorate than on Charles Kennedy and the Lib Dems.

We all say we want better roads, schools, health service, policing etc etc etc. However when it comes to casting our vote the vast majority take the selfish option of which party they mistakenly beleive will charge them less tax.

At least the Lib Dems (despite many other faults) say - "what you want costs money, we will charge you more tax and spend it on the things you want improved". To me that's just common sense, but then perhaps I'm strange.
Spot on Ron, people cannot have it both ways. I would honestly be very willing to pay more tax, though I'd want some transparency and accountability in return for that.

Politics in this country is nothing short of disgraceful. It has little to do with policies and plenty to do with theatre. Watching "debates" in Parliament (if you can find anyone in the Chamber) are cringeworthy and Prime Minister's question time should be scrapped immediately, unless it is not going to be stage managed. I would remove all radio and TV coverage from Parliament until they learned to set a good example.

Elections are now won and lost by tabloid media influence. I think we should go back to the good old days though. Take the vote away from the women and working classes.

Utter rubbish and im surprised that you would even give the Lib Dems word space. All they have ever gone on about is proportional repercentation and tax hikes. Nothing else. Kennedy's a p%&shead, so what, I would have more respect for him if he had told the truth 12 months ago instead of deining it on national radio and tv .

I think the writing had been on the wall for him for a few weeks - he'd well and truly lost support from most of his party.

Still, never mind. He was a **** anyway.

Back