• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Charlie Kelman

He’s still young and has time on his side but shame not to have seen him kick on further at this stage. I thought at one point he’d go right the way to the top.

Maybe I'm being hyper-critical but I'm yet to see the kind of application that gets you up the ladder in the game.

I'll be honest although he looked alright for SUFC at times, I didn't see him much higher than L2 in the long run.

Maybe I'll eat my words soon enough but he really needs to kick on.

Is he the most disliked former youth player?

Certainly up there ...
I don’t dislike the guy personally. But heard numerous people say he has a bit of an attitude and ego which isn’t particularly endearing. Not sure how much truth in it.

I don’t dislike the guy personally. But heard numerous people say he has a bit of an attitude and ego which isn’t particularly endearing. Not sure how much truth in it.
I heard this from people who were friends of friends of him, so truth could well be so.

Didn't have a problem with him myself, thought he applied himself well at times although was throw in during our very bad turbulent period.

I wasn't going to be the one to mention it but having lived and gone to school in Wickford at the same time as him (no idea if he lives here anymore) I have heard the same.

Last edited:
I know a couple of people who knew him personally, they used to be friends with him ... that's all I'm saying.

20 or 21 years old - playing professional football ... sometimes a young man covers a lack of confidence with bravado ... who knows - perhaps we should be a bit slower to jump to conclusions ..

BTW - when I was 20 I was a totally perfect mature rounded human being and never made a mistake and never made a fool of myself or never ever talked garbage trying to impress people ..

I had the opportunity to speak to Charlie Kelman when he was coming through within the Academy. He was very confident and sure of his ability, and more than anyone else I always thought he had the belief that he would go on to be a professional footballer.

He had some swagger about him on the pitch, but it was justified because he was the star of that team and starting to get recognition in the senior environment, and he was always polite off the pitch. I also remember him turning up to watch his old schoolmates in a cup final, which is something that he didn’t necessarily need to do.

That’s not to say that what others have said is wrong, it just wasn’t my experience of Charlie when he was with us.

Trust you’re all delighted to see one of your youth products finally getting the move of his dreams.

Thoughts for the upcoming season for you O's? Richie Wellens had his first prep at the club, interesting signing in George Moncur as well.

Thoughts for the upcoming season for you O's? Richie Wellens had his first prep at the club, interesting signing in George Moncur as well.

We’ll flatter to deceive again. Last season we were basically unplayable when we were ‘on it’. Mostly just missed 10 glorious chances a game and let vastly inferior sides into games they had no right being in. Think Northampton will win it. Big fan of their business this summer.

No idea why, but this move did put a smile on my face… another talent that probably moved too high, too soon and is now suffering by being down the ladder again. I think qpr will sell him off or release at the end of his contact

No idea why, but this move did put a smile on my face… another talent that probably moved too high, too soon and is now suffering by being down the ladder again. I think qpr will sell him off or release at the end of his contact
Would would that make you smile? Kelman going on to do well would benefit the club. The club isn’t stupid and will have clauses in the deal, the better he does the more money we make.

It’s not as if staying at Roots Hall at that time would have been a great career move either.

Back