• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Until we are mathematically out of the calculations then there is always a chance. Chesterfield face Hartlepool next away from home and we face Wimbledon. Win to us and a loss to them is just 6 points with four matches to go. I bet it will come down to the last game.

Really interesting dynamic if we were to play Burton 3 times in a row. Would be the case if the season was to end now.

If the season were to end now, we'd have played Cheltenham followed by two games against Burton - but I know what you mean. :winking:

If we can claw back another win relative to Burton in the run in, that final game could be playing for home advantage in the second leg.

I reckon yesterday's win has put (hopefully), another 700-800 on Saturday's gate........7,000+ would be good, plus Wombles may bring 300 ish.......The Bank Manager will be rubbing his hands

Sokolik can do a job! Only 20 but you'd never have known. Must snap him up if we go up. Egan was very impressive again. Midfield overall a bit quiet. Fred probably felt a bit hard done by, but Corr and Murpy's effect was immediate. Barnard didn't really build on his good performance last week but is looking sharper. Loved Bentley's reaction after both goals. Big 3 points!
I would be amazed if we get either of the center backs, the best we can hope is that we can loan them again next year.

I would be amazed if we get either of the center backs, the best we can hope is that we can loan them again next year.

Its already been said that Sokolik is out of contract next year, I do think he is a possibility especially if we were to go up.

If we make the playoffs and the way we are playing we should do baring any thing going badly wrong .I think I would rather play chesterfield home ansd away in the play off legs .I beleve that after the J P T final as we did things went wrong .And having the better of them in our home game and only losing away to a last kick of the game at there place .I think we may well have the measure of them rather than burton or even york for that matter .

Talk of catching chesterfield is forgetting that burton and fleetwood are also 6 points ahead of us. At the least we would need to win our last 5. What may be better is for chesterfield to get dragged into the playoffs as we seem to have had the edge over them this season

Talk of catching chesterfield is forgetting that burton and fleetwood are also 6 points ahead of us. At the least we would need to win our last 5. What may be better is for chesterfield to get dragged into the playoffs as we seem to have had the edge over them this season

Another major point in this is Chesterfield have to play both Burton and Fleetwood, so if we need them to lose those two games then that means Burton and Fleetwood will then both gain points and be harder to catch.

It really isn't realistic to think we can make top 3 now, better to just accept that and concentrate on finishing the season strongly and being prepared mentally for the play offs.

Great second half following a slightly flat first half (albeit we were unlucky to be behind). The game reminded me a bit of the Portsmouth home game in that there was a hell of a breeze blowing the length of the pitch and being 1 goal down at half time was a reasonable position, I was still confident we'd get something if you'd asked me at half time with a bit of tactical jiggery pokery and the breeze behind us in the second half...and in the end although Cheltenham started and finished both halves brightly we deserved the win overall.
Bentley : 6 : Did OK, not a huge amount to do, but a couple of handling slips 2nd half.
White : 6.5 : Not his best game, but pretty solid until the last 5/10 mins or so
Egan : 9 : MOM - don't think he put a foot wrong, or a head wrong, always in the right place..he really is far too good for this level
Sokolik : 8 : Just shaded by Egan, but an awesome partnership, sadly I think those suggesting we can sign him permanently will be disappointed, his future lies higher up the food chain
Coker : 8 : Very impressed with him yesterday, defensively and supporting the attack, positionally sound.
Timlin : 7 : Struggled first half against their midfield 5, but had a good energetic 2nd half, did doggies when they had the ball, but also used it well going forward
Leonard : 7 : Worked really hard, a couple of vital defensive moments, but also found time to break forward at create the winner for Hurst
Atkinson : 4 : Poor, shame as I think he's a decent player, but seemed passed by in the first half, and wasn't an attacking force at all other than giving the ball away with a few loose simple passes, give him the benefit of doubt though, it wasn't a footballing pitch.
Hurst : 7.5 : Strange game from Hurst, didn't see very much of the ball, but when he did he used it really well (the goal obviously, and 3 or 4 superb deliveries) also did a lot of defensive work too...hope injury not too serious as we do lack creativity without him.
Loza : 6 : Had better second half, but looked a bit lazy/apprehensive first half..could have got on the end of a couple of crosses with a bit more commitment..was livelier second half though
Barnard : 5 : Worked hard, but he just doesn't seem good enough to be blunt.
Subs
Corr : 7.5 : The game was crying out for Corr second half and he duly obliged, goal bit of a mi**** scuff, but did more than enough to make it a game changing substitution
Murphy : 6 : Lively, energetic in defense too, enthusiastic, but perhaps lacking a bit of composure, linked well with Loza on a couple of occassions.
Clifford : 5.5 : Did all that was asked of him in his last 15 minute defensive cameo.
Ref : 3 : Very weak.
Good day out, always good to win from behind

Scrappy goals, scrappy game ...... great result.

Bentley.....6.5 a good save, but probably disappointed with the goal
White....... 7 stuck at his task well
Sokilok..... 8.5 outstanding
Egan ........ 8 nearly as good as his centre back partner
Coker ....... 7 slow start came into the game more
Hurst ....... 7 thought he'd over hit the ball prior to his goal
Timlin ...... 5.5 poor on the ball, especially first half
Atkinson .... 5.5 far from influential
Leonard ..... 7.5 effective long throws and good pass for a goal
Loza ......... 6 disappointing but kept running
Barnard ...... 5.5 ineffective

Game changing subs

Corr ........ 7.5 good impact sub and, of course, the goal
Murphy ....... 6.5 some nice touches, gave them something different to think about
Clifford .... 6.5 came on earlier than we expected and did okay.

Ref 7 Had plenty worse and one or two better

Last edited:
Bentley 5 - good throws but at fault for the goal when he was beaten at his near post from outside of the area
White 6 - struggled a little early on with their winger but got the measure until towards the end when defensive incompetence in midfield allowed him to be repeatedly doubled up on
Coker 7 - decent
Sokilik 8 - pick of the defence once more. He exudes class; the poor man's Dervite.
Egan 7.5 - solid
Leonard 7 - a quiet start to the game but those doubting that he's our player of the season should see his role in the winner and the way he took a touch to set up the angle to put Hurst through. His long throws were even a threat for once.
Timlin 8.5 - outstanding first half with his energy and movement off the ball. Was at the heart of everything we did good, constantly forcing the opposition into mistakes and then breaking forward to offer options to team-mates and create space. Gave away the ball more than most because he saw the ball more than everyone else and is willing to try things. Just to emphasise his influence Brown didn't haul him off at the first opportunity for once.
Atkinson 5 - lethargic
Hurst 6.5 - with return of the better weather are we seeing a return to form?
Barnard 5 - ineffective, struggling to pick out a Hull shirt all match.
Loza 5.5 - largely ineffective, although became more of a threat when could play off Corr (and defences were tired)

Corr 9 - game changer. Of course he shouldn't have been as he should have started, but immediately gave us a threat up front and from being toothless we all of a sudden dominated. We created more within 5 minutes of him being on than in the previous hour+. Scored the equaliser and then won the defensive header to set up the counter-attack for the winner. Legend.
Murphy 6.5 - the option we've been missing off the bench
Clifford 2 - woeful. Put on with seemingly instructions to stop their impressive left-back attacking he showed all the defensive awareness of an 8 year old in the school playground chasing the ball and letting their left-back get forward with impunity despite his team-mates continually pointing out where he should be. In the end Brown had to move Loza to do that job. It's a bit much that a 19yo centre-forward making his third start can cope with a simple defensive assignment when a 22 year old midfielder continually lacks the discipline and/or intelligence to do so. It's not as if he made up for his defensive ill-discipline on the ball as I think he only successfully completed two passes in 20 minutes. I'm not buying the young excuse either: I think we had 6 on the pitch younger than him (sadly mainly loanees rather than our own).

There is a thread on the Cheltenham fans site entitled 'Southend Fans', example post –

Applaud them - good numbers, non stop support. Great effort.
Put us to shame - I have no recollection of any CTFC chants today ?

Well done to all who went, you obviously made a favourable impression with the Cheltenham faithful. Reckon the team must have responded to it as well.:clap:

Last edited:
Corr : 7.5 : The game was crying out for Corr second half and he duly obliged, goal bit of a mi**** scuff, but did more than enough to make it a game changing substitution.

Game changing subs

Corr ........ 7.5 good impact sub and, of course, the goal

Corr 9 - game changer. Of course he shouldn't have been as he should have started, but immediately gave us a threat up front and from being toothless we all of a sudden dominated. We created more within 5 minutes of him being on than in the previous hour+. Scored the equaliser and then won the defensive header to set up the counter-attack for the winner. Legend.

Funny how some people see and mark the game differently from others.

Differently, yes, but all thought that Corr did well and changed the game. On that basis the scores are a matter of opinion, as is everything in life.

Also it was just crying out for barry corr....sat there yesterday and turned to the boy after half hour and said we need corr on asap.....it was just made for him

A hard working display, lacking in the free flowing football of early season, but at least we are now sneaking the win rather than losing by the odd goal. Make no mistake, we deserved it, and wanted it more but it was more hoofball and determination that won the day.

Bentley 6 - Seemed late in diving for goal, possibly unsighted.
White 7 - Good display from the skipper, crosses were better and marshalled McGlashan well.
Egan 8 - Very consistent, dominant at this level.
Sokolik 8.5 - MOTM, a very focused and determined young man, love this partnership at the back.
Coker 6 - Not as involved as the skip going forward.
Atkinson 5 - An unusually flat performance, rightly subbed instead of Timlin.
Leonard 8 - Pulled the strings in the middle of the park.
Timlin 7 - Industrious display, chased and harried, kept popping up on the right also.
Hurst 6.5 - Slowly getting back to his best, goal will do him good, wicked deflection off the defender
Loza 6 - Pace makes defenders wary, did not make the most of his opportunities.
Barnard 6 - Tried hard, seems to now need ball on a plate or his head drops.

Corr 7 - Good finish, another example of sub needing to make an impression.
Murphy 6.5 - Some good runs, showed some promise.
Clifford 4.5 - Seemed totally lost in the job that was asked to do, Laird would have been better option.

Three points was the needed outcome and job achieved. Nice to win away again at last, nothing beats an away win, however achieved, makes the drive home so much more palatable. Great support, with nearly 500 travelling. UTB

When I get a free evening I'm going to look at how prior form potentially affects playoff performance. I think there's always been a view that momentum rather than placing is important... however I'd like to see how the data stack up.

I always think its more than momentum. A lack of injuries / a few decent loan signings before the window can change a mid table team into a top of the table team.

Great result.....my thoughts....
Bentley.....6.5 good save in 2nd half
White 7 had a very tricky winger to deal with.
Sokilok 8 mom.....dominated all put before him
Egan 8 ......same as sokilok
Coker 6.5 solid
Hurst 7 some quality play scored too
Timlin 7 industrious
Atkinson 6 jaded
Leonard 7 great through ball for hurst
Loza 5.....bottled easy header in 1st half
Barnard 6 ok......thats about it
Corr 7 goal.......
Murphy 6.5 came on and looked lively
Clifford....done ok when came on 6