• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When Alan Little was manager Harrys son John was kit man , the first thing Dave Webb did when he came back was to get rid of him , I bet that Webby never told Harry what he was going to do , because I think that Harry would have taken a dim view of it , because in Harry prime he would of been more of a match for Webby .

I saw Harry play a couple of times in the early 60's. He was maybe past his best but my father's friends would tell me what a great player he had been

I have fond memories of Harry and clearly remember his collision with Ron Saunders in the Cup tie against Yeovil @ the Hall. Harry was heavily concussed and as there were no subs in those days, he spent the second half wandering around on the right wing. Sadly he never regained his earlier form, but was still good enough to play for us until 1963.

Harry also used to turn out for Prittlewell Cricket Club along with Kevin Baron. Happy Days!

Only saw Harry, maybe three or four times. The last was his testimonial against West Ham in 1963. My pop said we would only go if the weather remained dry. I prayed for the rain to hold off; it did, and I go to see a First Division side in the flesh; a rarity in those days.
Interesting to read Harry's ashes are scattered at the Hall - just like the old man's...

I have fond memories of Harry and clearly remember his collision with Ron Saunders in the Cup tie against Yeovil @ the Hall. Harry was heavily concussed and as there were no subs in those days, he spent the second half wandering around on the right wing. Sadly he never regained his earlier form, but was still good enough to play for us until 1963.

Harry also used to turn out for Prittlewell Cricket Club along with Kevin Baron. Happy Days!
Thanks for bringing the memories flooding back. I stood behind the goal when the incident with Ron Saunders occurred. IMHO a clear foul which effectively ended the career of a stalwart. I met Harry several times later when he was guvnor of 'The Ship' on the seafront. Profoundly deaf it was a miracle he was as good as he was. COYBB

It struck me immediately that no way was Ron Saunders playing in that(memorable!) game.Don't remember him ever playing for Yeovil,but at that time he'd just left Gillingham for Portsmouth.

Excellent article and fantastic to think Harrys ashes spread over Roots Hall. If we ever move perhaps we could take the pitch with us or sell off the turf!? Seen Harry play on many an occasions, one of my first heroes. Not the most agile but as brave as a Lion as illustrated in above posts.

Managed to meet Harry a few times in the mid 1980's down at the ground on non-match days he would pop in at least once a week to have a cup of tea and toasted sandwich with the then groundsmen Sid Broomfield and Joe Auger. Dave Robinson also used to call in, they told some great stories about their playing days, I wish I had recorded some of them, absolute legends all of them.

Played with Harry, when he packed up pro football. He played centre forward to my midfield, for Southchurch Rovers. In fact we had our club meetings in the Spread Eagle. A true gentleman of the first order, never came across as billy big boots.

I also was behind the goal that day, nearly 56 years ago to the day, he became my instant hero, what a goalie, always
diving in headfirst! it was my first SUFC game, the man was a gladiator!

Back