• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Chesterfield 3-0 Southend United

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
3-0 is harsh but you can see why Chesterfield are top and they deserve to be, We did not take any of our chances they took all of theirs.

I don't think we played badly we just don't yet have the killer instinct they have or you need to get out of this division, we still lack goals from midfield and attack. Sometimes we just fanny about with the ball far to much instead of just going for goal.

Once the new players gel in we will look a different side with different options. ATM we are still growing as a team after having our hands tied behind our backs for half a season.

I still think we have a chance to make the play-offs as i did not think we would get anything from todays game.

Well done the almighty 832 Blues away following.

Last edited:
Blunt in attack as usual and never looked like scoring. Chesterfield won without even trying which is the sign of champions. Dull, poor game with a deceptive scoreline. Berry with the worldie in 4th minute the only real highlight of the game.

Didn’t see the game, so cannot comment on performance. It sounded like they were very good & took their chances, whereas we were OK but didn’t. That’s football.

Today was a free hit, and not one we were expected to get anything from. I quietly fancied we’d get something from the game, but it’s not as disappointing as expecting a win and coming away with nothing… something we’ve experienced many a time.

In the grand scheme of things it’s worth remembering that Chesterfield are a few seasons ahead of us in terms of a rebuild.

They’re deservedly flying high at the top, but they’ve had to endure their fair share of ****, just as we have/still are. We’ll be exactly where they are sooner rather than later, but we have to be patient as it won’t happen overnight.

Our time will come.

If Chesterfield can keep hold of their squad I'd fancy them to go up again next year with a couple of additions, they were very good, especially up front.

Despite the scoreline I think there were a lot of positives to take from that. We matched a quality side for large parts of the match and could have had a couple ourselves if our shooting was better. They had another gear in the last half hour which with their subs though which we unfortunately didn't, Waldron will need time to adapt and Coker's anonymous performance highlighted that, for all his flaws, Fonguck was actually causing Chesterfield problems and missed once taken off.

Once Waldron is up to speed and Cardwell gets back into the groove I think the goals will come and we can go on a run at the end of the season. It might be a little bit too late for the playoffs but it'll put us in a good place for next season.

Last edited:
No complaints , great strike first half , two great subs to bring on.

Champions elect won at a canter with us not troubling their goalkeeper second half.

If that’s the level we have to aspire to to win the league , then we are a way from it yet.

Well done Chesterfield and good luck in league two

No complaints , great strike first half , two great subs to bring on.

Champions elect won at a canter with us not troubling their goalkeeper second half.

If that’s the level we have to aspire to to win the league , then we are a way from it yet.

Well done Chesterfield and good luck in league two
That'sa hy I think we'll have to wait until next season to get promotion.

and so only one win in 8 in the past 4 years when we have a break from playing that is longer than 2 weeks.
I think the evidence is pretty strongly pointing towards the fact that it doesn't help to stop playing for that length of period. You need to keep up the momentum and progress, accepting we were up against a very good side
I believe we would have stood a better chance if we didnt have the 2 games postponed

Neither do I feel comfortable with the "we were more than a match for Chesterfield " We clearly were not for so many reasons

Even game generally. They were good in the final third. We were poor in the final third. So that’s why they won.

Where we get away with this against the average teams in the division as we get many chances at the final ball, you don’t get lots of chances vs the best. They didn’t get many chances either but nailed it when they did.

I said this before the game that the result of this tie doesn't define our season. They've beat everyone at home and we've beat them at our place. Therefore, we haven't lost any points on the teams we are trying to catch. We have plenty of games to make up the ground. To expect to do it in this game was wishful thinking.

There is no embarrassment losing to this side. As Pennyfather said pre-match, we aren't far off of them. If we can add goals and more assists from midfield and a partnership up front that can hit 30 goals between them, we will be there next season.

If only we had a Brunt type player in midfield and McCallum up top, we'd be laughing.

Let's not get too downhearted and let's get ready for the next one. Utb!

Back