• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Plans include a 21,000 seater stadium, cinema, hotel, restaurants, two soccer domes and retail outlets.

Nice pictures - as were the previous ones, and the ones before that and, oh yes, the ones before those.

Anything about the trifling matters of infrastructure, relief road, Section 106 etc etc ?

Thinking the market condition and planning stars may have finally aligned on this.

I've always been a sceptic on this scheme, since the first iteration of this proposal over fifteen years ago, but I do genuinely understand the issues the Club have faced without a benefecator or local authority funding, so it was always going to be a monumental task.

Let's just hope Ron chooses to install the best seats in the industry when it is built :winking:

A pal of mine who works in water management has just had a new project land on his desk - assessing the area around the proposed new stadium for flood risk.

A question for people who know about this sort of thing - is the fact that this is being looked at now good news or would we have expected this a while back?

A pal of mine who works in water management has just had a new project land on his desk - assessing the area around the proposed new stadium for flood risk.

A question for people who know about this sort of thing - is the fact that this is being looked at now good news or would we have expected this a while back?

Standard protocol, but then again, this would have been assessed at feasibility stage many moons ago.
You don't give planners or statutory bodies such as the Environment Agency any excuse to call the design into question...

So 18 weeks if approved is approx April/May next year? Typical as I am moving out the area a few months after that :sad:

If planning is approved at the council meeting on Wednesday 13th December, then 18 weeks will takes us to 18th April as the deadline for a spade in the ground.

I read that Roots Hall is actually owned by the club. Is that the club or RM? I actually thought it was owned by Sainsbury's now after the investment they put in.

I read that Roots Hall is actually owned by the club. Is that the club or RM? I actually thought it was owned by Sainsbury's now after the investment they put in.

They pulled out of the deal so they don't own it as far as I'm aware. They had paid some money upfront (the £5 million etc.) but I guess that's been written off.

I believe Roots Hall is owned by one of Ron's Companies. I'm sure more knowledgeable Zoners than me can tell you who that is.

I'm not bored of it at all, I think it will happen this time. Call it a gut feeling maybe.

Same here. BL aren't the kind of people that mess around, and (AFAIA) they have the money to be able to fund it. It'd be interesting to know how much RM has had to give away to get them on board. It's probably not far off what was offered by the consortium a few years back, who also had the money to fund this...

Difference was that the 'consortium' didn't want RM on board.
RM has persevered for so long because he has so much invested personally in the realisation of FF, so it wasn't an option to relinquish control.
BL will simply retain a long term interest in the non-football retail and leisure elements of the development.

I have always been sceptical about this stadium as much I have been of Ron Martin as chairman.

I was there 10 years ago at the council with countless others and believed that we would long since moved into a new home.

Ron Martin is a business man who has saddled himself with a football club. Fwiw I think he got carried away with championship football and the budget, and nearly lost the club.

He has subsequently learnt lessons. Got on with the day to day running and stayed out of the limelight.

Yes we are still running at a loss but we are now running at a loss that's serviceable.

Nobody can fault Ron on backing his managers. He has backed PB again this season.

For the first time on forever I genuinely believe that we will have a fantastic new stadium. I don't know why I think this but just this time things feel right.

Please please please SBC do the right thing and allow the club to move forward.

UTB

Great to see that there is a big push by the club to gain public support, however the link states that only 227 public comments have been lodged, and 100 of those are objections.

We are getting regular 6k to 7k crowds, so why isn’t the number of supporting comments significantly higher?

What about adverts in the club programme?
What about a leaflet drop by the club at the next 3 or 4 Home games
What about getting current and ex players retweeting the link to the council comments page

100 objections v 117 supporting comments isn’t leaving me feeling too confident? The % of support should be overwhelming surely...

We really need to hammer the nimbys into touch

Last edited:

We might even get a message from the Chairman like this one :)

Subject: Message from Ron Martin (h)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 10:21:27 +0100

The Public Inquiry for the new stadium and the next phase in the future of Southend United will shortly be coming to a close.

The journey to get to where we are today has been a long one. So far we have channelled all of the support that we have received through our planning team and lawyers. As an example, a representative from the Shrimpers Trust spoke on behalf of the new stadium development at the inquiry last week. Whilst representing some 1500 supporters there are probably 10 times this number who could contribute.

Like all development projects the objectors can often shout the loudest.

To defeat this I now need a groundswell of support channelled through the government office. But we only have 72 hours to act.

All you have to do is to email sarah.banwell@planning-inspectorate.gsi.gov.uk outlining your support. In the email you could highlight….

- Roots Hall is past its sell by date.

- The new stadium will ensure the club‘s financial future.

- It will allow the Club’s community work to continue to grow.

- It will put the Club and town on the map.

- It will be a Stadium to compete with any in the country.

This is your opportunity make Southend proud.

As I have said previously, whilst I can make this Club fly at a new stadium, it is impossible to achieve it at Roots Hall.

I need your help to make this happen. Don’t delay, write tonight.

Together we can silence the dissenters.

Thank you and Up the Blues!
Best Wishes

Ron Martin
Chairman

Difference was that the 'consortium' didn't want RM on board.
RM has persevered for so long because he has so much invested personally in the realisation of FF, so it wasn't an option to relinquish control.
BL will simply retain a long term interest in the non-football retail and leisure elements of the development.

I realise that. The delay has all been about him.

Received an email from the club on this about 30 mins ago. Looking at the latest standings it's objections 101 v supporting 191. Will be adding my two-penny worth in favour later today.

Come on folks!

Back