• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

COLLYMORE -MARTIN SUMMARY

Well Stan I was fortunate enough to watch you play for the blues, we need 10 goals over the next two games, in my support of the blues the only striker capable of doing this was your good self, so get your boots your required at 3pm on saturday at Roots Hall,
But well do so far for supporting the blues fans,

Well Stan I was fortunate enough to watch you play for the blues, we need 10 goals over the next two games, in my support of the blues the only striker capable of doing this was your good self, so get your boots your required at 3pm on saturday at Roots Hall,
But well do so far for supporting the blues fans,

That no actually true.

We could win both games 2-0 and if scunthorpe lose both by a good few goals its job done.

Its just a shame Newport didn't score more against scunny the other night. They wasted a good few chances in there 4-0 win.

I don’t post that regularly on Shrimperzone but felt obliged to comment on how I see things.

What you’ve done so far Stan shows your love for our club, and has been impressive. Ron clearly needs help, and getting the ball rolling the way you have, has been a real boost in these challenging times. It will be interesting and crucial to see where we go from here, and I hope Ron listens and acts on all, if not some of your proposals.

It’s generally agreed that the future of Southend United necessitates a new stadium, as redevelopment of Roots Hall was not considered to be viable, or preferable, for the club to survive long term. We all have so many great memories of the Old Lady, including your mind-blowing performances which helped save us from relegation in the 92-93 season. (My god we could have done with you being on the pitch this season). But Roots Hall is now on her knees, is high maintenance and ultimately her time will expire. I have always supported the new stadium development from the start. To show my support, I remember joining up with other fans outside Council offices, and by sending a letter to the council as part of the planning process. These were requests from Ron at the time.

Given the proposed new stadium’s 21,000 seat capacity, and the level of football we will be playing, the new stadium plans do seem a little optimistic, but it still shows ambition and a hope that Championship football will return. Relocation to Fossetts is the future for our club, but its planning, replanning, financing, refinancing have spanned many decades with final Council approval still yet to be given. The Roots Hall and Fossetts planning applications have endured many hurdles and have generated wave after wave of false hope. Over the years, many factors have affected their progress, but we are now at the stage where the Council seem to be giving the applications more impetus due to the fact that the developments help meet government set housing targets, and will no doubt be financially rewarding. The Council planning department seem to have a reputation for being very stringent and meticulous in its approach, and the current situation with both developments is unclear. I would personally like to know if Ron is able to start building Fossetts without gaining planning consent for the Roots Hall development, or are they inextricably linked.

Ron’s tenure at the club seems certain to continue until he benefits hugely from both developments, and some would say he’s entitled to it. After that, who knows. However, many justified concerns and questions about the long term future of the club have been raised by fans, including, ‘What tangible assets will the club own?’, and, ‘What revenue streams will be in place for the club when the stadium opens and in the future?’. These are fundamental to the future and will be the lifeblood of our club. We need clarity on this.

Communication from the club at best has been patchy in the past, but due to our current plight, and pressure from supporters, it has recently become more evident and welcome. It could be said that Ron’s views have caused raised eyebrows on occasions. His statements have tried to be open, but have sometimes shown a lack of diplomacy when talking about past appointments. It does not give a good impression. We certainly need a more professional approach to club statements, providing clear and regular updates, along with any feedback from meetings with supporters groups.

I hope Ron looks positively on your offer and now concentrates on his primary job of pushing forward the development. If appointed, a new CEO will concentrate on the football finance side of the business, which will certainly be a challenge. A new approach will be welcome, especially on the subject of season tickets and lower pricing. With such a huge catchment area, there is no reason why this town can't have a successful and well supported football club. Over 30,000 supporters at Wembley in 2013!! Let’s be optimistic about our future, and let the Old Lady rock again, before she sings that final lament, and a new chapter begins.

Some supporters are a little bit sceptical as to whether Ron will be receptive and willing to adopt your proposals. I sincerely hope he does, if its right for the club. The vast majority of supporters are behind your efforts, and I hope it helps to push things forward, both on and off the pitch, and creates an air of transparency and clarity which has not always been apparent to date. You have put the wheels in motion to help us in our hour of need and we all need to pull in the same direction. Your role as an ambassador will help to promote the club in a positive way.

With regard to the proposed protest, you can understand the frustration on many levels which exists amongst a large portion of supporters. Perceived poor management, impending relegation out of the Football League after a century of participation, have been two of the catalysts for this action. I understand it, but I for one will give this new found help and optimism a chance to take effect and progress. It looks like a substantial gesture and this should always be the first option. Ron certainly needs to consider it in depth. If nothing comes of it, I fear for our club.

Back