• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Commentator Speak.

I'm channel hopping between Stoke's ritual humiliation of Bolton and the Arsenal v Liverpool bore fest. One thing the games have in common are the cretinous co commentators in Ray Wilkins & Chris Waddle. Waddle is incomprehensible at best, and I'm not sure what Wilkins is on of late. The thing they now both have in common is the use of the phrase "I gotter say", chaps you don't have to say anything, let the pictures speak for you. Unfortunately we are going increasingly down the road of the USA & Australia with garrulous, but say nothing but cliches pundits. Having said that I suppose it's better tha "take a bow son".

[video=youtube;sHVtD_NzFYo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHVtD_NzFYo&feature=youtu.be&a[/video]

I thought i heard something that sounded rude when he gave away the penalty...hahaha. wonder what he was tryin to say!?

It's never been the same for me since Barry ("Look at his face --- just LOOK at his face!") Davies retired. :smiles:

It's never been the same for me since Barry ("Look at his face --- just LOOK at his face!") Davies retired. :smiles:

Not football related but I preferred his comment on the 1988 Olympic Hockey Final between Great Britain & Germany, "Where were the Germans? But frankly who cares?"

Not football related but I preferred his comment on the 1988 Olympic Hockey Final between Great Britain & Germany, "Where were the Germans? But frankly who cares?"

That was great. I loved the commentary on Franny Lee's goal for Derby (v Man City, 1975) because of the whole build-up to it. Lee received the ball from a throw and turned with the ball in the path of his right foot approaching the left corner of the penalty area from a diagonal position. Davies just says "interesting" then bellows "very interesting" as Lee unleashes a screamer into the top corner. As Lee is running below the camera in the stand with a smile as broad as his barrel chest, Davies cannot contain himself and his voice rises an octave or two when he says, "Just look at his face, just LOOK at his face." Truly tremendous. :clap:

For Shrimpero
[video=youtube;NS8eH1g3u9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS8eH1g3u9I[/video]

Superb - thanks for this. Just at the tail-end of '74 I see (not '75 as I thought) ... he certainly enjoyed it, as did Barry Davies. :smiles:

You see.Life was better before Sky ruined football for all of us.

I don't believe Sky ruined football, probably over exposed it.
When ITV had the contract the fondly believed the season started in October and the Division1 revolved around Liverpool, Everton, Manchester United, Spurs & Arsenal. At least Sky give the viewer choice and you can see bottom or mid table teams if you wish.

I don't believe Sky ruined football, probably over exposed it.
When ITV had the contract the fondly believed the season started in October and the Division1 revolved around Liverpool, Everton, Manchester United, Spurs & Arsenal. At least Sky give the viewer choice and you can see bottom or mid table teams if you wish.[/QUOTE]

As you can on MOTD of course.And even our-ahem-highlights if you can stay awake for the FLS.

If we are talking about over-used football commentator cliches, as I thought we might be when I saw the title, what about:

"He'll be disappointed with that." = that was utterly crap.

"The referee saw a push" = he's awarded a free kick, but I haven't got a clue what for and I doubt anyone else in the ground has.

Must be others, wouldn't you say?

Be nice to the virgin poster please.

One of the ones that annoys me is "saved by the post", what did the post do to prevent the goal? Silly.

One that staggers me is when a shot flies high and/or wide and is followed by some pundit remarking "If anything, he's hit it too well".

Back