• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

USAShrimper

First XI
Now the euphoria of going up has died down, the mandate for the club must be to stay up, build a platform to improve the overall strength of SUFC both on and off the field. I'll settle for a couple of seasons in L1 if we continue to improve and move the club forward. Unless there is major, new, significant investment, we'll not be able to do a Bournemouth. More likely to be like Crewe or Scunthorpe, struggle at first, but every year higher up will improve things and maybe be more like a Rotherham. As someone who's supported the Blues for 45 years, the experience of watching the team in the Championship level was exciting, but fleeting. As long as we don't go back down again, I'll be happy for now. Even more reason to keep this group together if possible. We'll need to add yes. However, the team chemistry and character of the current team will go a long way next season.

Safety is going to be the first priority but I'm sure secretly Ron and Phil will be looking to build on the current team with some quality to push on and have a crack at the top 6.

I'm sure the likes of

Paul Smith
Kevan Hurst
Lee Barnard
Will undoubtedly be gone and are on good money.

We will have a much better budget next season to improve nicely without putting the club in financial disarray.

Yes the team have character and play for each other,but that will only last as long as the results are good, that team character excetera will be tested should we struggle next season, and unless we strengthen the squad we will.Im pretty sure RM and PB know this as well and will have the scouting staff working overtime looking to find the right players .

The last two times we've gone up into the 3rd division we have gone up again, so who knows whats going to happen!

Rochdale and Chesterfield both had fantastic 1st seasons in L1 its hard to know how we will go

It is so important to survive in league one next season, we don't wanna be back in league two any time soon, points on the board in early games is the key to survival:thumbsup:

Since I hung my hat on our club in the mid sixties we have never stayed in the third tier for more than a couple of seasons continuously. All we seem to do is go up or down again....................I pray it's not down.

Since I hung my hat on our club in the mid sixties we have never stayed in the third tier for more than a couple of seasons continuously. All we seem to do is go up or down again....................I pray it's not down.

your prayer is answered - We are going up , say we are going up. See the power of prayer does work.

Consolidation you say. Sounds a very logical view point.

But the heart says flirting in the play-offs (again) would be more interesting. :smile:

Every year for sometime now I have placed a bet on us getting promotion, e.g. Outright or via playoffs, so pleased to relieve Corals of a few bob this time. However as big hearted as I am, Sad to say I wont be placing a bet on promotion with our current squad. We will need to see even better development from our Youngsters as they gain skill and experience and hope they dont go backwards, equally we need to genuinely ensure the squad is improved by quality signings .that are DEFINITELY better . Leaving it late at the beginning of the season to pick up the equivalent of Barnard, Coulthirst and Westley, would see us possibly in relegation territory? I was not inspired at all by Phils newby picks to kick us off last season and this proved to be an accurate assessment. I assume the Loan market will continue to be key to our strengthening.

This year wasn't a fluke as we've been banging on the promotion door for the last 4 seasons. That's important as it means we've an established winning mentality and some momentum behind us. We've seen from our cup runs in previous seasons that there's nothing for us to fear in L1. If we stay clear of injuries like we have in the last two seasons then we should be a top 10 team. My fear though is that we approach things too conservatively, don't get enough players into the box and subsequently struggle to score goals. If we're drawing at home all the time we'll get ourselves drawn into a relegation scrap.

The only thing I don't want to hear is anyone in the management team saying if we finish 5th bottom that'll be a good season, as if we just miss, we're down.

I'd much rather aim higher, play offs/top ten, if we just miss then we're mid table and comfortable. (And on recent seasons finishes, higher than Cold Spew).

This year wasn't a fluke as we've been banging on the promotion door for the last 4 seasons. That's important as it means we've an established winning mentality and some momentum behind us. We've seen from our cup runs in previous seasons that there's nothing for us to fear in L1. If we stay clear of injuries like we have in the last two seasons then we should be a top 10 team. My fear though is that we approach things too conservatively, don't get enough players into the box and subsequently struggle to score goals. If we're drawing at home all the time we'll get ourselves drawn into a relegation scrap.

To quote Tom Jones ... it's not unusual to ...... have one team relegated the next year after promotion. By that I mean that the winning mentality can clearly be lost quite easily. I do agree that it is so easy to suddenly find oneself drawn into a relegation scrap - either from failing to get 3 points or a sudden bad run ..... and we know all about that. :sad:

How good is it that we have members in USA, Australia and England all having a little chat about the team we love.

I was born in an era when "your team picked you" not the other way around, so still have that devotion and loyalty for life. Get back 3 times a year, love going to Roots Hall, it's so unglamorous, it's glamorous. hand painted numbers on decrepit wooden seats. Was at the Dagenham away game in March, looking around the ground, thinking "What's professional about this ? That's why we must stay up and look forward.

Back