• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Contents insurance

Hey,

Im moving into my first house as a student shortly, and I need to get contents insurance sorted. Anyone know how much I should be looking to pay?

And/or good companies to go with?

There will be four of us in the house (if it makes a difference to your advice)

I moved into my first house last year.

Done the ringing around the insurance companies and found Halifax to be the best.

Quite reasonable and good cover.

As your in a different position as a student, not too sure how much it will be for you.

Try Halifax though.

Try this website Students Insurance
Also, check your parents contents insurance as this may cover you whilst at university and have a word with your bank - they maybe able to offer you something. I think that if you are sharing a student house with others you can collectively get cover for everyone rather than shelling out individually.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ Aug. 22 2006,14:58)]Hey,

Im moving into my first house as a student shortly, and I need to get contents insurance sorted.  Anyone know how much I should be looking to pay?

And/or good companies to go with?

There will be four of us in the house (if it makes a difference to your advice)
George,

If you want help PM me with a rough idea of level of contents cover and postal area of property and if you have high risk items such as a laptop or your vast collection of Southend shirts.

I can do all this for you and I am independent too.Special diso**** for anyone who's has travelled with DtS to an away game.  Plug over

DtS
laugh.gif

When you sign up for the National Union of Students, like I did and it is worth it as you get so many discounts at loads of places, you can get discount at Endsleigh Insurance (They are meant to be the recommended stoodent insurance company, but I didnt bother with them)

Ive got mine with Liverpool Victoria and it was quite cheap (Bout £20 per month). You tell them how much certain items of yours are (such as Computer, stereo, mobily) and they do all the rest.

We was with Halifax now with standard life, though I think we have an excess of £250 for 20k cover. That's £25 per month but we do have no claims etc....

PS . I also have a note on the front of my house that says.
"I spent 5000 pound on my burglar alarm and £100 on my hifi.
Next door spent £5000 on their hifi and 100 quid on the burglar alarm."

PS : make sure the contract doesn't stipulate specific requirements i.e. 5 latch keyway systems , all windows with locks etc probably in small lettering, probably overleaf in subsection something or other.... If you don't have what they stipulate they'll not pay out.

ALWAYS, always read the small print, as AS says above. These insurance companies will wriggle out of as many claims as they can ...

Out of interest, who has actually claimed on their household insurance and how much did you get?

I didn't insure during my 5 years of being a student - if its £20 a month(!) for 5 years that's £1200 I must have saved, probably the same price as replacing a computer, TV, video etc after 5 years of depreciation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 22 2006,17:47)]Out of interest, who has actually claimed on their household insurance and how much did you get?

I didn't insure during my 5 years of being a student - if its £20 a month(!) for 5 years that's £1200 I must have saved, probably the same price as replacing a computer, TV, video etc after 5 years of depreciation.
Most policies give you new for old though so if you do make a claim, and it is successful - in theory, they should give you the price of what you had but if you were buying new today.

However, I have never had to make a claim so don't know how effective this is.

Hils - £20 a month sounds a lot to be honest - I only pay about £12 a month and that's for a 1 bed flat!!

Try Alpine Insurance on London Road, Hadleigh, which is run by Alan Parry who is in the supporters trust. I have been with them donkeys years and I shop around every 2 years and his quotes are always lower than I can get elsewhere. When I have claimed on my insurance I have never had any problems.

Back