• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My street is full of ****ed up people waving flags and ignoring social distancing.

They can't manage six weeks of responsibility whilst living in relative luxury yet are ironically celebrating the country holding firm in the face of unimaginable hardship.

The same people who are out clapping on a Thursday here are all out having a street party, ignoring social distancing ****ing hypocrites.

The same people who are out clapping on a Thursday here are all out having a street party, ignoring social distancing ****ing hypocrites.
No surprise. Here there’s a minority out in their front gardens .. majority are indoors. I can hear fireworks going off somewhere. I get people are fed up, eager to get out etc but you do wonder how they would’ve coped with food rationing, national service, evacuation and watching houses in their street disappearing overnight through bombing. It’s not like we’ve been forced to stay inside.

Last edited:
I can’t see how there is an argument for the lockdown to be lifted yet, personally.

Seems to me, that the suggestion of lifting the lockdown, is a simple case of sending a few canaries down the mine, and seeing what happens.

I can’t see how there is an argument for the lockdown to be lifted yet, personally.

Seems to me, that the suggestion of lifting the lockdown, is a simple case of sending a few canaries down the mine, and seeing what happens.

Wales have already decided to extend lockdown for a further 3 weeks.

Reactions: GBJ
Our road held front garden pinics to celebrate VE Day and many had put up bunting for the day. All the families that took part remained on their own properties and observed social distancing. Nobody is outside now and nobody took advantage of the lock-down protocols. Oh, and by the look of things everyone enjoyed themselves.

Wales have already decided to extend lockdown for a further 3 weeks.

The jocks too.

When you look at what’s going on around the rest of Europe, it really does beggar believe how we’re even having this conversation....

Especially considering our statistics.

The jocks too.

When you look at what’s going on around the rest of Europe, it really does beggar believe how we’re even having this conversation....

Especially considering our statistics.

Yep another 626 deaths today.

Our road held front garden pinics to celebrate VE Day and many had put up bunting for the day. All the families that took part remained on their own properties and observed social distancing. Nobody is outside now and nobody took advantage of the lock-down protocols. Oh, and by the look of things everyone enjoyed themselves.

Fair amount of people were partaking around my way too.

Looked good to be fair.

I would have joined in myself, but I’m an antisocial *******.

Yep another 626 deaths today.

I saw somewhere, (maybe the FT?) that the actual death figure is suspected to be nearer 55k.

I’m telling you now, in years to come, the inevitable inquiry regarding this pandemic, will make the Chilcot enquiry seem like a mediocre school report.

On a happier note my best friend from school (we became friends at 11 when we discovered we were both already Shrimpers) has recovered from the virus She works in a care home, had mild symptoms and tested positive but thankfully now well again,

Excellent news ??

I imagine the loosening of some of the restrictions has at least a small consideration of keeping public order in place. The government aren't stupid enough to fly in the face of both common sense and medical advice.... Oh wait....

The government , here in The Netherlands, has announced that restaurants and bars can provisionally open on June 1st. This will be confirmed later this month. There will be limited numbers and social distancing. The hotel I work in is planning to open, in a limited way, on that date. I hope it's not too soon

The end part of our close was cordoned off and people sat in front of their houses with tables and chairs, talking and laughing with neighbours. All very well observed here. Children mostly played on their own front gardens or pathways.

Didn't join in with it myself, Kev was on a driving course as he's going to be working with the ambulance service for a while, and it was my boy's birthday, and not at all his sort of thing so we played darts in the garage.

VE Day really brought things into perspective for me.
We have many people living amongst us ( family , friends, neighbors ) who lived through WW2.
They endured loss of privileges, restrictions on their freedom of movement , fear of being bombed and many other hardships for 6 years.
If they went through all of that , surely we can put up with a few more weeks / months of no pubs , restaurants , theatres , football etc without too much complaint ?
Let’s be thankful for what we have , not what we’re currently missing.

VE Day really brought things into perspective for me.
We have many people living amongst us ( family , friends, neighbors ) who lived through WW2.
They endured loss of privileges, restrictions on their freedom of movement , fear of being bombed and many other hardships for 6 years.
If they went through all of that , surely we can put up with a few more weeks / months of no pubs , restaurants , theatres , football etc without too much complaint ?
Let’s be thankful for what we have , not what we’re currently missing.

Yes, true. However, took my son down to talk to my parents through their window yesterday, so they could see him on his birthday, and my mum said something worrying - that they feel like they're "deteriorating" being inside and unable to go anywhere. Hearing yesterday that someone said old folks could be on lockdown till well into next year was truly depressing for them.

She goes for a short walk every day, about a mile, but dad can't really manage that, so she goes on her own. These are two octogenarians who usually do voluntary driving 5 days a week, taking people on appointments through the Castle Point social car scheme. I've always thought of them as strong people, but what she said really shocked me.

I suggested they went for a short drive, to Battlesbridge perhaps, for a change of scenery. I took them fish and chips last week which they were really grateful for. We do need to really think about our elderly - and about their spiritual needs as well as their practical ones.

Last edited:
Yes, true. However, took my son down to talk to my parents through their window yesterday, so they could see him on his birthday, and my mum said something worrying - that they feel like they're "deteriorating" being inside and unable to go anywhere. Hearing yesterday that someone said old folks could be on lockdown till well into next year was truly depressing for them.

She goes for a short walk every day, about a mile, but dad can't really manage that, so she goes on her own. These are two octogenarians who usually do voluntary driving 5 days a week, taking people on appointments through the Castle Point social car scheme. I've always thought of them as strong people, but that really shocked me.

I suggested they went for a short drive, to Battlesbridge perhaps, for a change of scenery. I took them fish and chips last week which they were really grateful for. We do need to really think about our elderly - and about their spiritual needs as well as their practical ones.

You are sadly right OBL.
My mum is 90 and lives alone in a warden assisted home.
She was evacuated during the war , so lived through those times without knowing if she would see her parents or siblings again.
She is a strong person , but the mental toughness of not seeing family at her time of life is starting to bite hard.
Nothing we can do but support our elderly folk as much as we can in a safe and responsible way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back