• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think so. Although I’m sure there will be a few whispers leaked before then.

Impossible really to comment on this without mentioning some political process details.There was of course a cabinet meeting this morning and logically a "circuit breaker" or something similar would have been discussed.

I make you right on there being a few whispers before Friday.

Today's news of a lockdown in Wales and Manchester's refusal to be tempted into tier 3 just muddy the waters of course.

Last edited:
Caution needs to be taken however the cure is soon becoming worse than the cause. There are currently 2 people in my partners pub, Monday is usually one of their busiest days of the week. The hospitality industry is being crippled. If we're not careful there will be no economy to go back to.

By making us tier 2 they don't have to pay any compensation. Your business can still open so its hard luck if we have frightened and threatened the public into not using your business.

Not a single person making these decisions will lose a penny nor will their expenses be delayed because that department will always be able to work from home.

Liverpool in lockdown but filming for the new batman film can carry on......No masks, no social distancing are needed for Hollywood.

Listening to the radio yesterday was heart breaking. People were phoning in in pieces after losing their businesses, losing their jobs and in a really bad way. The remaining schemes only really help if you have a job. So they are faced with universal credit, which we know isn't great. I really don't know how this is going to end.

The trouble is, the October figure - even if it had levelled out - is significantly higher than it has/had been across the summer months, which of course brings about more risk of transmission and added strain to health services.

Bottom line, that levelled figure is still much higher than what we need it to be, to remain stable and sustainable.

View attachment 13080

As for lockdowns, they clearly do work, as we saw back in March/April/May. Without it, the figures would have been far, far higher than what we ended up with.

The trouble is, you MUST have a competent exit strategy, which IMO, we never did. Our guidelines and instructions were as clear as mud, with several of them being contradictory, and unenforceable. And that is on top of a track and trace system that is down right pathetic.

Add into the mix several high profile examples of the rules being flouted, and our post-lockdown course was doomed from the beginning.

From your own graph it would appear we were all safe when the beaches bars and restaurants where at their most crowded.

We all started going out in June and it disappeared. Bad weather and back to school and look whats happening......Donald Trump should stop calling it the China virus and call it the Greek virus....It had 8 complete weeks off in the summer.

Sweden have had no lockdown and they don't wear masks currently they have one of the lowest infection rates in Western Europe and just 14 people in intensive care with Corona related illness

Last edited:
A guy I work with - although not closely - has tested positive.

Few nervous faces in work today.

What part isn't true? Other than mass gatherings/events you can pretty much do anything in Sweden.

I even read a report this morning that they are considering loosening it even further.

Well then....Manchester council provided the Gov with evidence that they don't need more restrictions because the situation is more than under control. So what do the Gov do? Force restrictions upon them.

Everything always comes out in the wash..:Whistling:

Listening to the radio yesterday was heart breaking. People were phoning in in pieces after losing their businesses, losing their jobs and in a really bad way. The remaining schemes only really help if you have a job. So they are faced with universal credit, which we know isn't great. I really don't know how this is going to end.

Yep and it's only going to get worse when furlough ends and millions realise they've basically been on glorified dole for the last seven months. The economic catastrophe which the country has needlessly inflicted on itself is only just starting to hit home.

But hey, at least we 'protected the NHS'... :Think:

B6E5D721-6A3A-4C3A-9646-0D4FBBC4B1FF.jpeg

I have started seeing this tragic stuff on a regular basis now. But some are still in denial and claiming ‘restrictions are for the best!’ Lol, give your head a wobble.

The cure will kill more than the disease.

So that’s the Welsh returning to a national lockdown and the last I heard, the Northern Irish were set to follow suit.

How long before ours comes into force? With half-term starting next week, will Johnson be gracing our TV screens at some point this week...

The home nations seem to be competing with each other to see who can come up with the most nonsensical restrictions and the most ridiculous buzzwords for them. Playing politics with people's lives, people's livelihoods. Wales reported one death yesterday...

I expect Boris will cave in to public pressure once again and take us into lockdown just as he did in March, despite their being no justification for it or evidence that it will change anything. It's all so depressingly predictable at the moment.

From your own graph it would appear we were all safe when the beaches bars and restaurants where at their most crowded.

We all started going out in June and it disappeared. Bad weather and back to school and look whats happening......Donald Trump should stop calling it the China virus and call it the Greek virus....It had 8 complete weeks off in the summer.

Sweden have had no lockdown and they don't wear masks currently they have one of the lowest infection rates in Western Europe and just 14 people in intensive care with Corona related illness

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to think we were all safe during those summer months. People were still catching the virus and subsequently dying because of it.

I’m only a layman, but I’d guess that the numbers reflected the situation proportionally, because the difference back then compared to now, is the sheer scale of how we mix.

A few thousand people gathering on beaches, is significantly lower than a few million people interacting in a City through work/travel etc, so you’d expect the cases/deaths to be lower, no?

I often see Sweden mentioned as a success, but I don’t know enough about it to make a fair comment (although I believe they do still wear masks?)

All I know, is that for everyone who claims it is successful model, there are an equal - if not greater - number of opponents who think it’s not been as hunky dory as it’s been made out to be. Again, I don’t know ??‍♂️

The home nations seem to be competing with each other to see who can come up with the most nonsensical restrictions and the most ridiculous buzzwords for them. Playing politics with people's lives, people's livelihoods. Wales reported one death yesterday...

I expect Boris will cave in to public pressure once again and take us into lockdown just as he did in March, despite their being no justification for it or evidence that it will change anything. It's all so depressingly predictable at the moment.

The same source that told me 6 weeks ago that there would be a 10pm curfew and the date set for full lockdown was 19th October has also said the plan is for Boris to go in March....He will claim its for family reasons etc.

According to Winston Churchill nothing in politics happens by accident.

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to think we were all safe during those summer months. People were still catching the virus and subsequently dying because of it.

I’m only a layman, but I’d guess that the numbers reflected the situation proportionally, because the difference back then compared to now, is the sheer scale of how we mix.

A few thousand people gathering on beaches, is significantly lower than a few million people interacting in a City through work/travel etc, so you’d expect the cases/deaths to be lower, no?

I often see Sweden mentioned as a success, but I don’t know enough about it to make a fair comment (although I believe they do still wear masks?)

All I know, is that for everyone who claims it is successful model, there are an equal - if not greater - number of opponents who think it’s not been as hunky dory as it’s been made out to be. Again, I don’t know ??‍♂️

A quick look on Youtube will show you BBC and ITV news reports of commuters all arriving in Stockholm with no masks, nor in shops and bars.

They do practice social distancing naturally however. :Winking:

What part isn't true? Other than mass gatherings/events you can pretty much do anything in Sweden.

I even read a report this morning that they are considering loosening it even further.
Both parts.

There have been restrictions on mass gatherings in Sweden, and recommendations to WFH. Swedes are much more socially minded and therefore advisory recommendations have had a significant impact - people have socially distanced and reduced their travel and daily contacts. Plus, Sweden doesn't have the same population density challenge that many other countries have, it's easier to social distance.

Also while masks aren't mandated, many people choose to wear them in shops and on public transport. Shops and train operators have been providing free masks for people to choose to wear.

Well then....Manchester council provided the Gov with evidence that they don't need more restrictions because the situation is more than under control. So what do the Gov do? Force restrictions upon them.

Everything always comes out in the wash..:Whistling:

Manchester were holding out for more money, and wanted something closer to what Liverpool and Lancashire were getting.

Manchester were being offered £22m for 2.8m people.

Liverpool & Lancashire got £44m & £42m for 1.5m people each.

Again, lockdown wasn’t the issue. The exit strategy was. I really don’t see why that’s so hard to grasp when the facts and evidence are there for all to see ??‍♂️

Until there is competent & concise plan for what comes after lockdown, we will absolutely keep making the same mistakes again and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back