• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what confuses the hell out of me TBH. The virus is affecting North America and Europe, so the countries with the most advanced health care systems on the planet. In contrast, the sub continent is largely untouched even though I've read climate isn't a factor in the spread.

One of the theories is that the poorer countries have far fewer older people in their populations due to lower life expectancy rates.

This is what confuses the hell out of me TBH. The virus is affecting North America and Europe, so the countries with the most advanced health care systems on the planet. In contrast, the sub continent is largely untouched even though I've read climate isn't a factor in the spread.
Social mobility might be.
Not such a short hop from Wuhan to townships either for tourists or business persons and so the spread pattern is limited but Ii would have thought the likes of Jo'burg might have been harder hit?

One of the theories is that the poorer countries have far fewer older people in their populations due to lower life expectancy rates.

Interesting. Have done a quick couple of google searches and found one graph showing China and India having the largest populations over 65 (stands to reason due to size of populations) but by percentage there are lots of countries with higher percentages than those two.
UK currently shows 18% of population over 65.

Waiting for confirmation but looks like 2 balls should be allowed as you are going to be allowed to meet up with 1 other person from outside your household to partake in sporting activities. Would imagine the PGA will release a statement this evening!

Is Greco-Roman wrestling allowed?

Asking for a friend.

Have struggled to understand this too.

On the assumption that it's just a natural virus that's spreading around the world, could it be that those of us living in countries with 'developed' health care systems have almost had our immune system made redundant due to less and less exposure to illness and general germs and viruses?

Would then explain that countries where people are forced to live in less sanitised surroundings on a permanent basis are perhaps less susceptible or have a different immune response?

Anyway, I fear the worst if people are going back to work from this week in London. You can't do social distancing on the tube and buses during busy times. Many can't do social distancing in the workplace, despite some of the owners of the businesses saying otherwise. I think certain people have buckled under the pressure of bussinessmen and donators. The Scottish krankie woman is doing the right thing. I think another month the same stay at home lockdown would have been much better.

There hasn't been any social distancing on the tubes from day one.
LU are STILL running a reduced service which in some cases means the tubes are busier than they normally would be.
First part of objective has been met, the NHS has coped. We can't stay off work forever.

Interesting. Have done a quick couple of google searches and found one graph showing China and India having the largest populations over 65 (stands to reason due to size of populations) but by percentage there are lots of countries with higher percentages than those two.
UK currently shows 18% of population over 65.

I'd imagine in Europe, Spain,Italy and Greece would all figure as countries that have a high percentage of over 65s in their respective populations.

On the quarantine issue, the Spanish government have just announced that anyone coming into the country from Friday will have to undergo a fortnight's quarantine.It is, of course, an ipso facto way of saying that the borders will be officially open from Friday.:Clap:

You don't think that the Government will now 'massage' the figures to fit the new approach? Surely they wouldn't, would they?

There hasn't been any social distancing on the tubes from day one.
LU are STILL running a reduced service which in some cases means the tubes are busier than they normally would be.
First part of objective has been met, the NHS has coped. We can't stay off work forever.

Of course people have to go back to work eventually, but I just think it's too early. Watch what happens tomorrow on the tube and the buses when a lot of businesses are re opening. And people that have mild symptoms or early stage of infection will spread it. Stay alert won't help much. It's going to be down to luck as who you are next to in the rush hours. By the way, a government spokesperson said this morning when asked about the infection rate from tomorrow, that it will rise because of the easing of the lockdown. So surely there shouldn't be an easing of the lockdown?

Of course people have to go back to work eventually, but I just think it's too early. Watch what happens tomorrow on the tube and the buses when a lot of businesses are re opening. And people that have mild symptoms or early stage of infection will spread it. Stay alert won't help much. It's going to be down to luck as who you are next to in the rush hours. By the way, a government spokesperson said this morning when asked about the infection rate from tomorrow, that it will rise because of the easing of the lockdown. So surely there shouldn't be an easing of the lockdown?
Isn’t the advice to avoid the tubes? Unless you’re going from East to West as an example it’s not that far to walk most places, or cycle? Do all these people really need to take the underground or is that just quickest? You’ll never avoid crowds and if we have to get to work there’s no other way, everyone just has to use their common sense..

Isn’t the advice to avoid the tubes? Unless you’re going from East to West as an example it’s not that far to walk most places, or cycle? Do all these people really need to take the underground or is that just quickest? You’ll never avoid crowds and if we have to get to work there’s no other way, everyone just has to use their common sense..

Most people that commute by tube or buses will carry on doing that for whatever reason. Some of course will now walk or cycle, but not a big enough percentage. Funny enough, the mayor of London is voicing the same concerns, and yesterday when asked what is his advice for those returning to work in London on Wednesday, he said, ''My advice is, stay at home.''

You can use the tubes if you take sensible precautions - that means a mask is an absolute necessity. Masks should be mandatory on any public transport at the moment anyway, as far as I'm concerned. If I was still working in London, then the black cabs are probably one of the safest ways to get about because of the screen already in place.

Yet to hear when we're going back but I know they're trying to get things clarified - people are clamouring to get their moves done!

Furlough scheme extended to October. I see they've found the magic money tree.

It will have to be paid for and I don't see why the young and working should shoulder most of the cost.

Wealthy businesses and those who derive substantial incomes from investments and property should also see a tax hike. This includes the wealthy retired.

Last edited:
You can use the tubes if you take sensible precautions - that means a mask is an absolute necessity. Masks should be mandatory on any public transport at the moment anyway, as far as I'm concerned. If I was still working in London, then the black cabs are probably one of the safest ways to get about because of the screen already in place.

Yet to hear when we're going back but I know they're trying to get things clarified - people are clamouring to get their moves done!

You can count the amount of black cabs on one hand at the moment. Plenty of Uber about if you fancy inviting contraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back