• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can count the amount of black cabs on one hand at the moment. Plenty of Uber about if you fancy inviting contraction.

I used to work in the US and a lot of locations are unreachable without a car.

My office was actually on a technology park so I used to get the hotel courtesy bus to work and an uber back to the hotel.

One evening my uber arrived within 30s. Turns out it was a colleague who used his commute home to do a few uber runs and earn a few extra bucks. The ubers were generally much better than the regular taxis I used which for some reason were mostly ex police cars.

Last edited:
You can count the amount of black cabs on one hand at the moment. Plenty of Uber about if you fancy inviting contraction.

I agree that black cabs are probably a bit safer ( my brother-in-law has been one for nearly 50 years ) but your safety is also somewhat related to how many people have used it in a day and of course the status ( health wise ) of those passengers

You can use the tubes if you take sensible precautions - that means a mask is an absolute necessity. Masks should be mandatory on any public transport at the moment anyway, as far as I'm concerned. If I was still working in London, then the black cabs are probably one of the safest ways to get about because of the screen already in place.

Yet to hear when we're going back but I know they're trying to get things clarified - people are clamouring to get their moves done!

I agree that using face masks should be mandatory on public transport. The trouble is, there's a shortage. And a lot can't be bothered to make their own. Anything is better than nothing.
That photo another poster put up was Canning Town yesterday. Can you imagine how packed during rush hour it will be on some tubes and in some stations from tomorrow. As you can see, plenty don't wear face masks when travelling in London, despite the advice.
skynews-london-tube-coronavirus_4987873.jpg

People who can't afford to have a car to go to work, sweeping generalisation alert, is likely to mean it's because it's a low paying job, the geography is too far, they are living on the breadline - so the talk of taxi's is a little bit misplaced to say the least.

Basically people who are on the lower end of financial security are again having to make personal health sacrifices for themselves and families that those earning more simply don't have to.

The inequalities of society in physical form.

House viewings and moves can start again from tomorrow. Someone was interested. Can’t remember who.

House viewings and moves can start again from tomorrow. Someone was interested. Can’t remember who.

I was talking about it. There's an article in the FT apparently, and Property Industry Eye released this earlier this evening:

EYE has become aware of the detail of The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2020 which apparently come into force tomorrow, May 13th.

The amendments appear to alter travel restrictions as follows:

(v) or sub-paragraph (l), substitute—

“(l) to undertake any of the following activities in connection with the purchase, sale, letting or rental of a residential property— (i) visiting estate or letting agents, developer sales offices or show homes; (ii) viewing residential properties to look for a property to buy or rent; (iii) preparing a residential property to move in;(iv) moving home; (v) visiting a residential property to undertake any activities required for the rental or sale of that property;”

This appears to give a green light for the resumption of estate agency activity.

We now have requests for nearly 80 viewings on properties for sale, and over 200 requests for rental viewings. People NEED to sell or move for a variety of reasons.

I was talking about it. There's an article in the FT apparently, and Property Industry Eye released this earlier this evening:

EYE has become aware of the detail of The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2020 which apparently come into force tomorrow, May 13th.

The amendments appear to alter travel restrictions as follows:

(v) or sub-paragraph (l), substitute—

“(l) to undertake any of the following activities in connection with the purchase, sale, letting or rental of a residential property— (i) visiting estate or letting agents, developer sales offices or show homes; (ii) viewing residential properties to look for a property to buy or rent; (iii) preparing a residential property to move in;(iv) moving home; (v) visiting a residential property to undertake any activities required for the rental or sale of that property;”

This appears to give a green light for the resumption of estate agency activity.

We now have requests for nearly 80 viewings on properties for sale, and over 200 requests for rental viewings. People NEED to sell or move for a variety of reasons.
You can't meet your parents but can meet a stranger to view a house? Strange times!

You can't meet your parents but can meet a stranger to view a house? Strange times!

I know, it's mad isn't it? We'd already worked out that we could let people into vacant properties and then answer any questions outside at an acceptable distance, but would have to wear masks and gloves for inhabited properties while the owners/tenants went out.

Got an email from my kids school and it says if you choose not to send your kids back on the 1st of June you won’t be fined.

It’s a tough decision to make, I have one in year one and two in year six so I would only be left with one at home. I think the year six two need to go back due to getting prepared for secondary school. It’s a tough decision to make and I’ll wait to see what countermeasures the school puts in place.

Got an email from my kids school and it says if you choose not to send your kids back on the 1st of June you won’t be fined.

It’s a tough decision to make, I have one in year one and two in year six so I would only be left with one at home. I think the year six two need to go back due to getting prepared for secondary school. It’s a tough decision to make and I’ll wait to see what countermeasures the school puts in place.

In your position, I would do exactly that. The y6 children need to be prepared, they need to say their goodbyes to their old way of schooling and friends and teachers.

I don't really understand why they're planning to take Reception and y1 children in when these are the least hygienically aware!

In your position, I would do exactly that. The y6 children need to be prepared, they need to say their goodbyes to their old way of schooling and friends and teachers.

I don't really understand why they're planning to take Reception and y1 children in when these are the least hygienically aware!
Agreed, I’d have thought year 5/6 back first.

It’s hard enough keeping a reception/year 1 child to understand hygiene at home let alone a massive group of them. Try getting them to social distant too will be mission in itself.

I can't see kids going back to at least September - if then, depending on the second/third waves that are in no doubt coming. Unions don't want it, teachers don't want it, a lot of parents won't send them.

I can't see kids going back to at least September - if then, depending on the second/third waves that are in no doubt coming. Unions don't want it, teachers don't want it, a lot of parents won't send them.

We are very reluctant to send them but obviously aware that it’s a huge year for the ones in year 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back