• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coughlan: It beggars belief

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United player coach Graham Coughlan cannot believe striker Liam Dickinson will be suspended for this Saturday's game at AFC Wimbledon.

More...

What a bunch of dumb old ***** the FA are, trouble is even when one dies they seem to have an unending supply of old ***** to replace them with.

Truly staggering, defies logic but hardly surprising from the FA. If theyre saying the game counts, then it should go down as a 1-0 win to us and Gilbert and Moshni should be back for Wimbledon.

Taking a step back for a moment, I completely get the point Coughlan and others are making but do those wanting Dickinson's yellow card rescinded also think the red card for a punch should go completely unpunished? If not, how would they apply the punishment?

South Bank Hank said:
Taking a step back for a moment, I completely get the point Coughlan and others are making but do those wanting Dickinson's yellow card rescinded also think the red card for a punch should go completely unpunished? If not, how would they apply the punishment?
I think it's more the fact that some things count, and others don't. Either the game has taken place, in which case all cards etc received during the game are counted, but then also any suspensions for that game are also counted. Or suspensions are not wiped out as the game hasn't been played, but then any cards are also not counted.

I think it's more the fact that some things count, and others don't. Either the game has taken place, in which case all cards etc received during the game are counted, but then also any suspensions for that game are also counted. Or suspensions are not wiped out as the game hasn't been played, but then any cards are also not counted.

As I said, I completely get the point being made but my questions still stand...

The fact, according to the rules of the FA, is that the game has NOT been played. Moving on from that, do those wanting Dickinson's yellow card rescinded also think the red card for a punch should go completely unpunished? If not, how would they apply the punishment?

As I said, I completely get the point being made but my questions still stand...

The fact, according to the rules of the FA, is that the game has NOT been played. Moving on from that, do those wanting Dickinson's yellow card rescinded also think the red card for a punch should go completely unpunished? If not, how would they apply the punishment?

I guess the FA can deal with incidents post match as they have done with Suarez or John Terry, after all violent conduct should not go unpunished, and for that matter neither should racist comments / abuse. The referee will have to submit a match report, and he'll have to deal with the abandonement and any cards issued.

I think BB answered your question indirectly - either the whole match should be forgotten (including any cards regardless of offence, suspensions etc) or not. So yes - quoting BB - " Or suspensions are not wiped out as the game hasn't been played, but then any cards are also not counted."

I think that all cards should count and the suspensions for Mohsni and Gilbert should have finished their bans or no cards counted and Mohsni and Gilbert still banned for another game. Come on FA/FL the game either happened or it didn't, make your minds up!

Any chance that Mohsni and Gilbert will get their bans lifted in time to play at Wimbledon if the FA/FL come to their senses?

Does anybody else think it's worth emailing the FA over this? If enough people complain they might review the situation and read the rules. Completely unfair. Surely it can't be right?!

I think BB answered your question indirectly - either the whole match should be forgotten (including any cards regardless of offence, suspensions etc) or not. So yes - quoting BB - " Or suspensions are not wiped out as the game hasn't been played, but then any cards are also not counted."

Perhaps, although it doesn't tackle any due resultant punishment which is what I was driving at.

I find it absolutely wrong that a punch thrown in a game and resultant red card/three game ban can be just wiped out due to a floodlight failure. I was thinking something along the line of Canvey Shrimper's idea where the FA could step in to take action on the red card but, if they did that, those receiving red cards would point to those on yellow cards who got away with it and claim unfair treatment in the same way that many of us are calling foul on Dicko (and Gilbert to a lesser degree). I know that there's a two tier ruling on cards already but two wrongs don't make a right.

Perhaps the only fair way is to continue the game from its place of abandonment, thus keeping the card counts in tact but it's a far from elegant solution. I'd also grant the losing side the option of surrendering the game if a certain number of minutes had elapsed. Eg: Imagine if a Plymouth Carlisle game was abandoned in the 89th minute with the away team 3 goals down.

Unfortunate for Dicko of course but, even while I can see there might be a better solution, I can also see the logic in applying the bookings but not the result.

Perhaps, although it doesn't tackle any due resultant punishment which is what I was driving at.

I find it absolutely wrong that a punch thrown in a game and resultant red card/three game ban can be just wiped out due to a floodlight failure. I was thinking something along the line of Canvey Shrimper's idea where the FA could step in to take action on the red card but, if they did that, those receiving red cards would point to those on yellow cards who got away with it and claim unfair treatment in the same way that many of us are calling foul on Dicko (and Gilbert to a lesser degree). I know that there's a two tier ruling on cards already but two wrongs don't make a right.

Perhaps the only fair way is to continue the game from its place of abandonment, thus keeping the card counts in tact but it's a far from elegant solution. I'd also grant the losing side the option of surrendering the game if a certain number of minutes had elapsed. Eg: Imagine if a Plymouth Carlisle game was abandoned in the 89th minute with the away team 3 goals down.

Unfortunate for Dicko of course but, even while I can see there might be a better solution, I can also see the logic in applying the bookings but not the result.
I think though Graeme, that I've read there's a minimum amount of time that has to be played for the match to be re-played, isn't it around the 75 minute mark? I know that's splitting hairs and your example is exactly that. It's definitely an area that the FL needs to look into, it does seem ludicrous that we're effectively being penalised twice over with card suspensions when we've done nothing wrong.

I think though Graeme, that I've read there's a minimum amount of time that has to be played for the match to be re-played, isn't it around the 75 minute mark? I know that's splitting hairs and your example is exactly that. It's definitely an area that the FL needs to look into, it does seem ludicrous that we're effectively being penalised twice over with card suspensions when we've done nothing wrong.

There have been only 5 occasions when the result of an abandoned League match has been allowed to stand and none had anything to do with floodlight failure.

Probably the most famous was the Bradford City Lincoln tragedy (that is the shortest officially completed League match ever). Also when Denis Law scored the goal that relegated Man Utd (happy days!) although in the event they would have gone down anyway.

The acrimonious match between Sheff United and WBA when Sheff Utd were down to 6 players also falls into this category, as did an Oldham match about 100 years ago when a sent off player refused to leave the field.

The final one was a Gillingham trip to Barrow (I remember trips to Barrow !!) midweek and before Barrow had floodlights. Travel difficulties caused the match to kick off too late to be completed and with the score at 7-0 to Barrow, the result stood.

So, no precedents to support our situation, I'm afraid.

Perhaps the only fair way is to continue the game from its place of abandonment, thus keeping the card counts in tact but it's a far from elegant solution. I'd also grant the losing side the option of surrendering the game if a certain number of minutes had elapsed.

This, all day long!

Am I the only one who is a tad concerned that we have a member of the management team who appears not to have known the league regulations regarding cards and abandonments ?

True, the situation seems to be unfair, with the game counting when it comes to adding cards but not when it comes to serving suspensions, but this has been the case for some while now.
Coughlan was around when we played Cheltenham last year and a similar situation occured re Gilberts suspension , although there were no cards in that game

Back