• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Council Tax - How much is it?!

Vange Shrimper

Mrs Rock God
Saw a flat in Southend yesterday with the other half that i'm really interested in renting. As i'm new to the whole renting scene and paying council tax (I was exempt from paying it in Cheltenham as I was a student), I'm just wondering how much the tax would be.

It's a 2 bedroomed flat, just off Southchurch Road and its just going to be me living in it. I know I get 25% off as i'm living by myself, but does anyone know how much it would be a year?

Ta.

Saw a flat in Southend yesterday with the other half that i'm really interested in renting. As i'm new to the whole renting scene and paying council tax (I was exempt from paying it in Cheltenham as I was a student), I'm just wondering how much the tax would be.

It's a 2 bedroomed flat, just off Southchurch Road and its just going to be me living in it. I know I get 25% off as i'm living by myself, but does anyone know how much it would be a year?

Ta.
Too bloomin much in my eyes

I would suspect that would fall into a band B. If you go onto the council website it should be able to tell you. If not then you might be able to get the information from the estate agent

It's Band C. So it's about £1,092.51 I think. Works out about £91 a month before 25% discount.

Blimey, that's a lot :stunned:

That is.
The houses over the road to me which are 3-bedroomed, driveway etc are a band C.
You could always ask the council to re-assess.

But think of all the benefits you get.:nope:

Take the 25% off then it's under 70 quid.

:offtopic: Ooooh! Harry's got a pic thingy!

Back on - am I right in thinking Southend are one of the more expensive councils anyway because they are a unitary authority? Have you looked elsewhere at all Hils? Surprised at you going west side of Southend if you're working on Canvey.

Back on - am I right in thinking Southend are one of the more expensive councils anyway because they are a unitary authority? Have you looked elsewhere at all Hils? Surprised at you going west side of Southend if you're working on Canvey.

Its 2 minutes away from a train station though and bus routes into town.

Plus i don't live too far away aswell! ;)

Last edited:
Well I suppose in Vange the council pay you to live there..;)

Basildon council rates are higher than Southend.... us in Wickford are paying for the all the single mums and long term unemployed (rent/rates free) in the council houses estates round Basildon.......

Happy days...

Its 2 minutes away from a train station though and bus routes into town.

Plus i don't live too far away aswell! ;)

That's fair enough, I know that area pretty well myself, and train through to Benfleet is pretty easy if a bit crowded in the morning.

That's fair enough, I know that area pretty well myself, and train through to Benfleet is pretty easy if a bit crowded in the morning.

It'll probably be quicker to get there than where I live at the moment. Buses to Vange are only twice an hour with a 30-40 min bus ride (takes about 5 odd mins to get the little sods from Appleton school to get on the bus at Tarpots) ;) So if I miss a bus, i'll have 30 mins to wait at the bus stop, so would take me an hour to get home, including wait. Stupid, aint it?

Last edited:

We're looking at a couple of other places on Tuesday, so I'll see what happens then. I really do like the other one I saw yesterday though. Was lovely :)

Basildon council rates are higher than Southend.... us in Wickford are paying for the all the single mums and long term unemployed (rent/rates free) in the council houses estates round Basildon.......

Happy days...

I can believe that! Friend of mine is about 3-4 years younger than me, lives in Vange near the golf course with his g/f and baby. He pays nothing for rent/water/tax/bills etc. Has a tough life, dont he?!

It'll probably be quicker to get there than where I live at the moment. Buses to Vange are only twice an hour with a 30-40 min bus ride (takes about 5 odd mins to get the little sods from Appleton school to get on the bus at Tarpots) ;) So if I miss a bus, i'll have 30 mins to wait at the bus stop, so would take me an hour to get home, including wait. Stupid, aint it?

That's my kids' chums you're talking about there - little angels aren't they?! You'll be swapping them for the commuter brigade.

That's my kids' chums you're talking about there - little angels aren't they?! You'll be swapping them for the commuter brigade.

Some of them act like little hooligans at that bus stop! Push each other into the road when there are cars/buses/lorries thundering down it, squirting water at cars and occasionally, they like to gob at the cars too. Classy little 'angels'! lol

Some of them act like little hooligans at that bus stop! Push each other into the road when there are cars/buses/lorries thundering down it, squirting water at cars and occasionally, they like to gob at the cars too. Classy little 'angels'! lol

You wait till you see your lot in your new role as "proper" teacher! They're all the same - little gits most of the time!

You wait till you see your lot in your new role as "proper" teacher! They're all the same - little gits most of the time!

There was one little sod in a Year 10 class I was in (luckily I wasnt teaching them). He decided to make a paper aeroplane and light the end of it with his lighter. I didnt realise he did that until I saw and smelt the smoke coming from the table where it landed, and it nearly set fire to the mouse. He admitted to it though, but so suprised he did that!

Back