• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
We hold a narrow lead over Coventry for all time League wins (17-16) but haven't beaten them at Roots Hall since 1961 when goals from Peter Corthine and Jim Fryatt gave us a 2-0 victory.

Man in charge tomorrow will be sixth year referee Brendan Malone from Salisbury refereeing his ninth Southend match.

His most recent match was last year's home 0-0 draw with Cambridge. One yellow apiece - Timlin for us. Before that, also last season, the 2-0 defeat at Plymouth when he upset Phil Brown in a match which produced 6 yellows for the home team and a yellow and red for Bolger and a yellow for Thompson who replaced Bolger at the back after his very early dismissal.

Before that it was the 2-2 home draw with Barnet in 2012/3. Yellow for Timlin and 4 of theirs.

A year before it was our inevitable win at Hereford. Prior to that it was 2011/12's home match against an inept Port Vale side when a 3-0 victory gave us our first home League win for a couple of months. They had one sent off and a couple of yellows with just Benyon cautioned for us.

He was in charge of the "dead" match, our fourth game against Macclesfield in 2010/11. Previously he was a late replacement for the Gillingham home game also that season (2-2, 5 yellows, 4 theirs, 1 ours) and, more memorably, before that he refereed the abandoned match at Cheltenham and the rather more successful re-arranged fixture. He cautioned Barry Corr for time wasting right at the end.

He has shown just 42 yellows from 19 games (well below average) and 3 reds. This includes a few Championship matches. Last week he did Col U's late, late defeat by Sheff Utd.

The Assistants are Andrew Laver from Portsmouth and Chris Pollard from Stowmarket, whose father was linesman at the 1999 League Cup Final at Wembley. Fourth Official is decent non-league referee Alan Young from Ely who works as Referee Development Manager for the Cambridgeshire FA.

How the hell he didn't send their 'keeper off I'll never know

The only doubt would have been whether he didn't think it was a goal scoring opportunity as there were defenders present

However had the keeper not fouled him, then Atkinson would have likely scored, which suggests it was a goal scoring opportunity and a red card IMO

To be fair there were players behind the keeper, and I doubt Atkinson would have scored. Primarily because it was Atkinson though. (nothing against the lad, but his attacking prowess isn't his strongest point, he played superbly well today)

All he had to do was put the ball into an empty net from 5 yards. Red card all day. Very surprised he gave yellow although maybe not that surprised as he seemed to fall for their theatricals most of the game.

I wasn't at all surprised that the keeper got a yellow, there were plenty of defenders back and in the way by the time he went down and a yellow was probably right. Had it have been a few seconds earlier then a red would have been needed.

All he had to do was put the ball into an empty net from 5 yards. Red card all day. Very surprised he gave yellow although maybe not that surprised as he seemed to fall for their theatricals most of the game.

Somewhat further than 5 yards and he would have had to regain control of the ball after quite a heavy sideways touch past the keeper.

Referees should consider the following circumstances when deciding whether to send off a player for denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity:
• the distance between the offence and the goal
• the likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
• the direction of the play
• the location and number of defenders

All things considered I was happy with a penalty and a yellow.

Somewhat further than 5 yards and he would have had to regain control of the ball after quite a heavy sideways touch past the keeper.

Referees should consider the following circumstances when deciding whether to send off a player for denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity:
• the distance between the offence and the goal
• the likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
• the direction of the play
• the location and number of defenders

All things considered I was happy with a penalty and a yellow.

And to spice things up again, I'd have walked him. I'd have walked him in real time and having seen it on the box, I'd have still walked him. Its was an obvious goal scoring opportunity, with there being one man on the line and one defender coming in from the left.

Who'd be a ref, eh?

Having seen the highlights can understand why it was only yellow, as there was a defender in a position to potentially tackle Atkinson

the location and number of defenders

That's why he wasn't sent off and rightly so.

If he was one on one with the keeper and no-one else in sight, then it would have been a red card.

Referee got most things right today and it made for an excellent match.

And to spice things up again, I'd have walked him. I'd have walked him in real time and having seen it on the box, I'd have still walked him. Its was an obvious goal scoring opportunity, with there being one man on the line and one defender coming in from the left.

Who'd be a ref, eh?

Regrettably I think you have to be the LAST man with no cover- so the referee got it right

Well if that wasn't a goal scoring opportunity I don't know what is ! Goalie should have gone he fouled him thus deny him that opportunity.

Punters on MOTD reckon Dimechelis should have gone and that was less of a goal scoring opportunity than Atkinsons. I'm sticking by my guns. Red card. Atkinson would have scored.

^
A Deegan style post there. Foot up and taking no prisoners! :winking:

Back