• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

danburyshrimper

Manager
Now the dust has settled on our season , looking back its bonkers just how many loans we got in --- i can think of 11 ( who did i miss out ? )

................................BELFORD.............................
SPILLANE..........LUND..........MKANDAWIRE......REEVES
MAYOR...............LAIRD..........DONNELLY....CLARK-HARRIS
...........ASSOMBALONGA...........LAVERY.......................

I cant imagine we've got anywhere near this number in a season before , is this the way lower division football is going?

Hope Mr. Brown can bring in fitter, non - injury prone players in a small ( better for team spirit) but quality squad + gives a few youth team players a seat on the bench regularly.

Roll on Great Wakering , West Ham + Bolton pre season fixtures !!!

Actually I am on loan from Arsenal - I go back at the end of the saeson they were hoping I could freshen up this forum with some new ideas but an index finger injury has kept me out for the last couple of months.

Laird did become a permanent signing and I am glad we have him, Britt aside the others have been somewhat dissapointing
Tam Mkandawire did very well for us first time around and without Ben Reeves we would not have gone to Wembley. Lund has added a bit of additional strength in depth. Agree on Britt and Laird. Five successes out of eleven ain't a bad ratio.

To be fair, Mayor had class but was too arrogant for this league.

Wonder how many we had in the 2009/10 season .... think we had about 7 different CB partnerships that season!

good debate topic. the LOAn system is a joke and the PFA should try to sort it out.

How it is a joke? It is good for clubs like ours who can't afford to have 2 players for every position and need to plug gaps when injuries and suspensions occur. We have had a lot of injuries this season, hence the need for the abnormally high amount of loanees.

it isn't good for players to not play at prem, champ or league 1 clubs as they only get reserve games and too high wages to move down the leagues. It stifles talent and financially handicaps many clubs and players themselves. I have little doubt that many top clubs have reserves who could be 1st 11 players in many many teams but waste the best years of their careers in "the stiffs" picking up very good wages. Not good for our national game and the league structure/strength in depth.

Sorry if I've got this wrong, but your arguement makes no sense. How can the loan system stifle talent when they are getting regular first team football? Look at Assombalonga and how he has progressed over the last few seasons after loan spells in the conference and with us in the league. I highly doubt he would have done the same and gain the experience and knowledge just sitting in the reserves.

As for the financial side, I don't see how it handicaps clubs. I doubt we have had to pay the wages of many of the loanees, except for players like Belford who are from lower league clubs and he is hardly going to be on a big wage at a relegation threatened league one side.

Look at the top clubs and you will see they will have several reserve players out on loan. Just a quick glance on Wikipedia will show that Chelsea have 13 out on loan, Man City have 10, Tottenham have 9 out on loan and Man Utd and Arsenal have both 7 out on loan. If they weren't out on loan, they would be doing exactly what you said and sitting in the reserves.

Wonder how many we had in the 2009/10 season .... think we had about 7 different CB partnerships that season!

It's the way the game's changed. 20 years ago you'd have maybe one loanee at the club. Now there could be 3 or 4 in the first team. During the latter years of Tilson we had loads because the financial situation was such it was the only way he could get players in. The question is why have we had so many in the last 12m?

It's the way the game's changed. 20 years ago you'd have maybe one loanee at the club. Now there could be 3 or 4 in the first team. During the latter years of Tilson we had loads because the financial situation was such it was the only way he could get players in. The question is why have we had so many in the last 12m?

Injuries and a poor midfield when we started the season. Out of those 10 players, only 2 I would say were brought in because they had a lot of quality to sort out the midfield - Mkandawire and Laird. Laird signed, so his loan was like a trial period before a permanent move. Most of the others signed near the end of January when the injury crisis hit.

Take out the ones who hardly played and were only brought in for cover and the number would be in line with everyone else I reckon. Those being Belford, Mayor, Donnelly, Clarke-Harris and Lavery.

One of the reasons we haven't made the playoffs this season with having11 loanees we have never had a settled side. Would love to know how many loan players Crewe have had this season and the last few seasons. How nice would it be to see the loan system scrapped and teams having to give their home grown players a chance!!!

One of the reasons we haven't made the playoffs this season with having11 loanees we have never had a settled side. Would love to know how many loan players Crewe have had this season and the last few seasons. How nice would it be to see the loan system scrapped and teams having to give their home grown players a chance!!!

Surely that would just see a huge amount of pressure put on the youth system and the players coming through there. Crewe have had 3 players on loan, so if the best youth system in the bottom two tiers needs loanees what chance do the rest of us have?

I'm all for using home grown players if they are good enough, but surely throwing them in at the deep end in a business that demands instant success is a recipe for disaster IMO.

good debate topic. the LOAn system is a joke and the PFA should try to sort it out.

Thought I read some where that the loan system was only to operate at the same time as the transfer window in a season or two. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing, I would hope an exception would apply to goalkeepers at least.

Back