• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question CRB Forms

Jay_Shrimper

Mummy's Little Soldier
Anyone that knows anything about CRB forms and can simplify it to it's basic form fancy PMing me ?

Just looking for general info.

It's not difficult, it's just a form you fill in that lets an employer check your criminal record and ensure you are suitable for the job you're applying for (required if you work with children for example). If you don't have anything on it, then you don't have anything to worry about. although it costs a couple of quid and takes about 20mins to fill in.

do you want to know anything in particular?

No real reason.

I'm a member of St John and I've become a cadet leader, and I've googled looking for a bit of info about what they are etc but it's all goobeldygook.

What they are?
Do they just check for criminal records?
How deep do they go?
How long do they take to go through?
How long do they last?
How much are they?

Just general information really. Thanks Pubey. :)

If it's for the St John's ambulance then I'm sure they'll help you.

They probably will, but just wanted to get a bit of background information so I know whats going on. :) Thanks again though.

There are two levels of disclosure, one being a lot more detailed than the other. As Pubey says, if you have nothing to hide then there's nothing to worry about. They're about 6 weeks or so, I believe in processing atm.

There are two levels of disclosure, one being a lot more detailed than the other. As Pubey says, if you have nothing to hide then there's nothing to worry about. They're about 6 weeks or so, I believe in processing atm.

Is that standard and enhanced??

Wondered what the difference was, that makes it all the more clearer. Think I need the enhanced version. :)

Costs between £25 and £50 to get one done too, IIRC.

OK, thanks.

Yes, standard and enhanced, I would think if there's any likelihood of having to loosen clothing in part of your duties, yours will be enhanced. See it as a form of protection for yourself not as an invasion of your privacy.

have you got a criminal record, where you were bound over or cautioned, then it will be on your CRB.
As yours will be an enhanced CRB as you are working in the health proffession, if you had been in trouble and reported for abusing a client then that will show up.

You might get it free if you do it through a company. Got mine free through working with Virgin.

No real reason.

I'm a member of St John and I've become a cadet leader, and I've googled looking for a bit of info about what they are etc but it's all goobeldygook.

What they are?
Do they just check for criminal records?
How deep do they go?
How long do they take to go through?
How long do they last?
How much are they?

Just general information really. Thanks Pubey. :)

Should that not be Googledygook :)

Also, be aware that the law regarding CRB checks is due to change later this year. I'm not totally up to speed on the changes, but I believe it's something to do with being able to cross check across professions - previously people have had to pay out for two disclosures for work in different sectors - this will possibly change. I also think that you will no longer be able to do a standard CRB check (i.e. the cheap one) if the reason for the check is anything to do with children...

have you got a criminal record, where you were bound over or cautioned, then it will be on your CRB.
As yours will be an enhanced CRB as you are working in the health proffession, if you had been in trouble and reported for abusing a client then that will show up.
As far as I'm aware, I have no criminal conviction and because this is my first 'role' (for use of a better word), I would like to think I've never been reported for abusing a client??? Would be strange if I have!!:unsure:

You might get it free if you do it through a company. Got mine free through working with Virgin.
St John do the standard one for free, I know that much - not sure about the enhanced one though. Will check it out.

Also, be aware that the law regarding CRB checks is due to change later this year. I'm not totally up to speed on the changes, but I believe it's something to do with being able to cross check across professions - previously people have had to pay out for two disclosures for work in different sectors - this will possibly change. I also think that you will no longer be able to do a standard CRB check (i.e. the cheap one) if the reason for the check is anything to do with children...
Thanks for that, Rayleigh Weir. That would be quite handy, as I do scouts leadership as well - and I need one for both. Cross checking would be perfect, although as it stands I have to do one for both.

I believe they also have to be updated regularly (I think it every 3 years)

as said, the enhanced check includes allegations , whether it is upheld or not (the burden of proof for allegations is different too , rather than beyond reasonable doubt , as in prosections it is on the balance of probability)

This was all implemented after the Bichard enquiry (Ian Huntly and the Soham Killings) where Huntly had several allegations made against him but none were found substantive as as such, at the time , did not appear on any of his records. This enabled his application for the caretakers job at the school to progress unquestioned.

Yes, they are renewed every 3 years atm, and the cross referencing is daft - I used to have 3, one for pre-school, one for Kids Club and one for my Governors stuff. Ok, they were all different employers so you can kind of see the logic, but even now I still have two, one for the school where I work, and one for Governors despite both being under the auspices of Essex County Council.

Back