• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We were very poor tonight. Barely mustered a decent attempt on goal all game. Crewe were well organised defensively and reasonably strong going forward. For me, the midfield just didn't work...for all his quality, Sawyer failed to make a big impact and Grant and Hall just weren't in the game. We lacked any sort of width. Barker was probably my MOTM, though Morris made some great saves on his return. We had a good run of form, but we aren't good enough to go up...yet.

Too knackered to write my report will do so in the morning. But Jimmych nails it, took us over an hour to hit the target, midfield even with Granty back was poor, no width. Barker again the best player in a Southend shirt. Good night.

can't help but think why everyone expects us to win most games away? Accept if it's a bad performance but let's not too above our station, we're a mickey mouse club in a mickey mouse league and we are where we are. Who the **** are we gunna get better than Sturrock?! I can't ****ing wait to get back to England late April and watch us wherever we end up i'm so jealous you guys can watch this stuff even if it's complete dog *****! if it's effort we are lacking then that's unacceptable but we have to acknowledge that we are lucky to exist/will exist. know it's a results business but come on guys! x

can't help but think why everyone expects us to win most games away? Accept if it's a bad performance but let's not too above our station, we're a mickey mouse club in a mickey mouse league and we are where we are. Who the **** are we gunna get better than Sturrock?! I can't ****ing wait to get back to England late April and watch us wherever we end up i'm so jealous you guys can watch this stuff even if it's complete dog *****! if it's effort we are lacking then that's unacceptable but we have to acknowledge that we are lucky to exist/will exist. know it's a results business but come on guys! x

Well said that man, if anything we've over acheived this season. With all the hurdles that were in front of us even before the season started on paper the team should have been fighting to stay up with any thought of playoffs whatsoever being laughable.

The rantings of a great deal of people on this board are so contradictory, 'RM's killing the club' 'There's no money to spend' 'Sturrock will never match Tilly' but yet the expectation before and the condemnation after a game suggests that the majority think that Sturrock has all he needs to gain success!

If this is the case then clearly RM's not strangling this club as everyone says he is, if not then Sturrock really is a miracle worker to have got us this far.

Maybe you feel like that, but I doubt much of our current fan base will be turning out in force for the rest of the season. Home crowds had just started to pick up a bit and as you point out it's a results business, with no sign of any loan players to help a play off push people are getting a bit annoyed (and getting someone on loan now is too late).

I don't think anyone expects us to win most away games but one win out of our last 4 would have been nice.

Maybe you feel like that, but I doubt much of our current fan base will be turning out in force for the rest of the season. Home crowds had just started to pick up a bit and as you point out it's a results business, with no sign of any loan players to help a play off push people are getting a bit annoyed (and getting someone on loan now is too late).

I don't think anyone expects us to win most away games but one win out of our last 4 would have been nice.

We have had six wins and four draws, with eight defeats away from home this season. In other words, 22 points from 18 fixtures and that ain't bad, It's the home form that has let us down, if we hoped to be in the Play Offs.

What we are basically seeing is the result of a small squad. It is no surprise that when we have a fully fit squad we have performed well. But take out, easton, moshni, gilbert to start with and we have very little cover. The players deserve a massive medal for the way they have performed this season, but many are very tired and with the predictable injuries coming along we were always going to struggle at some stage. I dont blame the players or PS its just fact. More importantly, if and its a big IF we can improve the squad over the summer maybe 3 or 4 new and retain a 90% of this squad the signs are very positive for next season. Its going to be a tough run in now but i hope people stay with the team and give them the support they deserve. UTB

What we are basically seeing is the result of a small squad. It is no surprise that when we have a fully fit squad we have performed well. But take out, easton, moshni, gilbert to start with and we have very little cover. The players deserve a massive medal for the way they have performed this season, but many are very tired and with the predictable injuries coming along we were always going to struggle at some stage. I dont blame the players or PS its just fact. More importantly, if and its a big IF we can improve the squad over the summer maybe 3 or 4 new and retain a 90% of this squad the signs are very positive for next season. Its going to be a tough run in now but i hope people stay with the team and give them the support they deserve. UTB

Well said that man!

In effect the run-in no longer matters as we are far too good and too far ahead to go down and incapable of winning 8 of the last 10 to nab a play-off place. I do hope the fans stay with the team though like you said, we've over-achieved this season and (depending on whether we're allowed to bring in players this summer) the signs look good for next year under Sturrock.

In effect the run-in no longer matters as we are far too good and too far ahead to go down and incapable of winning 8 of the last 10 to nab a play-off place. I do hope the fans stay with the team though like you said, we've over-achieved this season and (depending on whether we're allowed to bring in players this summer) the signs look good for next year under Sturrock.

says who?? football is a funny old game, i know it's a big ask but it is possible.

In the absence of much other opinion on last nights game, I went and was a bit disappointed, yet not really surprised.

Much of the game, particularly the first half, felt like a reserve fixture. Lack of atmosphere, players on both sides looked tired on what was a very difficult, soft pitch. We huffed and puffed but didn't get round the back much. Not much crossing going on, a lot of neat play and good possession in threatening but ultimately harmless areas.

The longer the game went on, the more we hoofed (tiredness?). Both defences were reasonably on top, expect for the fact that we couldn't really cope with the aerial threat of their number 5. Sturrock and Corr tried hard, but the linkup play wasn't there to make the most of possession and build up the pitch. They didn't link up with each other that well, and we didn't use our width well enough. We missed Easton's influence out there last night - our midfield looked lightweight, been though man for man they were better than Crewe's midfield.

We might have scored with a little bit more luck, but last night in general was a tired game between two teams who have, to all intents and purposes,got nothing to play for this season with 10 games to go.

THe plus point for me was crossing off another ground. And that is basically it. One for the hard core fans rather than the purists, definitely.

In the absence of much other opinion on last nights game, I went and was a bit disappointed, yet not really surprised.

Much of the game, particularly the first half, felt like a reserve fixture. Lack of atmosphere, players on both sides looked tired on what was a very difficult, soft pitch. We huffed and puffed but didn't get round the back much. Not much crossing going on, a lot of neat play and good possession in threatening but ultimately harmless areas.

The longer the game went on, the more we hoofed (tiredness?). Both defences were reasonably on top, expect for the fact that we couldn't really cope with the aerial threat of their number 5. Sturrock and Corr tried hard, but the linkup play wasn't there to make the most of possession and build up the pitch. They didn't link up with each other that well, and we didn't use our width well enough. We missed Easton's influence out there last night - our midfield looked lightweight, been though man for man they were better than Crewe's midfield.

We might have scored with a little bit more luck, but last night in general was a tired game between two teams who have, to all intents and purposes,got nothing to play for this season with 10 games to go. The plus point for me was crossing off another ground.

Marks

Morris: 6.5 - some smart saves but also a couple of communication howlers with Coughlan
Prosser: 6 Adequate, though decision-making on the ball was a little questionable at times
Coughlan: 6.5 Decent enough, didn't notice him for much of the game. Struggled with their #5 at set pieces
Barker: 7 MoM - worked really hard to try to get things going from the back.
Clohessy: 6 similar to Prosser - crossing in first half especially was never great
Hall: 6 Blew hot and cold. Looked like he was going to get going in the second half but came to nothing. Only plays as if each game might be his last when it's actually true.
Grant: 5 very disappointing by his standards. Seemed isolated out wide, lost purpose maybe?
Sawyer: 6.5 hard worker but took some big risks at times. Some of our best moments were through or as a result of him.
Ferdinand: 6 Solid enough but clearly tired before being brought off
Corr: 6 Tried hard, but didn't link with team mates well enough.Some good knock downs on occasion, but didn't click with Blair.
Sturrock: 5 came in for some predictable criticism from the stands again but honestly looked like he'd never score or create a chance himself all night.
Crawford: 6 not really on for long enough to tell but don't think an extra 10 minutes would have made much difference
Asante: 6 agains not on for long enough but his pace might have been helpful earlier in the game.

Ref: 7/10 Pretty anonymous for most of the evening, which is meant as a compliment. Decent management and communication with linos.Think he was a tad generous on Sawyer and Grant a couple of times.

Last edited:
Back