• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricket Update

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
Just noted that...

* In what is probably a dead rubber in the C&G, given the way that Sussex has dominated the Southern division, we beat Kent comfortably in the competition on Sunday.

* England were hammered again by Sri Lanka in London - first at Lords, now at the Oval. Not good.

* Andy Bichel has slipped quietly into the Essex ranks in the last couple of days, and is now turning his arm over for the county. He could make a big difference for us in the second half of the season.

- - -

Currently we're playing Derbyshire in Derby who, having won the toss and elected to bat, made 312 all out thanks largely to Tim Birt's gritty 130.

Very pleasingly, Alex Tudor is back among the wickets - which is a great sight to see. 4/76 is a super return - his best in two years - backed up by 2/36 from Ravi Bopara and 2/54 from Andy Bichel.

Essex are now 17/0 in reply.

smile.gif

Good to see Alex Tudor back with some wickets, if he could stay fit he would be a class act, he can still hold a bat as well.

The addition of Andy Bichel will also add a bit of penetration to the bowling attack.

The England one day side is going round in circles at the moment.

Speaking of the C&G trophy this season, whats peoples verdict on the new format?

Personally I think its crap, we now have no pure knockout cup comps

For instance if your side loses your first 4 games your def out of the running for getting to lords. The rest of your games are pointless you'd be better off having the extra days off to recoup after all the championship games are still going on around the C&G games

I read some southern side played a game up north finished 6pm on the saturday then had to travel back down south directly after to play the C&G game the following day. Some of the players only got 4hrs kip

The format where only the top two teams go through to the final is fatally flawed. If they stick to the basis of this format then at least the top 2 sides in each section should go into a semi final. I think the idea of the current method is to get the county clubs more revenue, but long term i can't see this working.

I think the ECB should cut their losses and revert to the knock out system asap.

The whole tournament format is a joke, if it's not changed next year I'll be amazed.

Chopra's just gone for 65, 123-2 and need a partnership from Bop and Flower.

Sh*t format.

England seem to be getting worse at the one dayers. How much did we get bowled out for in the end yesterday?! I've lost all interest in cricket at the moment, mainly due to the inconsistancy of Essex and England!

Kev

191-2, looking more encouraging. If these two can stay in till close and we can have a good day tomorrow we could be in business.

Yep, very crap format - not least because if one side gets off to a flyer (e.g. Sussex), you end up with a lot of completely meaningless games - and that has to be bad for the competition.

rock.gif

With the old format you used to get the county board XI's playing against countys in the first round, this always gave the potential for a shock just like a non league side beating a league side in the fa cup.

Whereas now you get none of that

Shocking to think that you can now get to the final probably realistically losing 2/3 games on the way

Mickey Mouse cup

26-5, could be over today at this rate. Bichel now on 4-9!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ June 22 2006,15:41)]With the occasional inability Essex have in bowling sides out i expect it to 527/5 by this time tomorrow.
sad.gif
Don't jest....

83-5
glare.gif

We will need to bat again.

Ok, Bichel is back on again. 92-7 and he has 6-17.

Back