• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cures for a knackered PC??!

SUBBlue

Manager
Sorry to bore you with this rather mundane thread.

My home PC has gone for a burton- I switch it on & all that happens is the fan spins 50 to the dozen & a rhythmic clunking from the base-unit that resembles a Pitsea whores headboard on a busy night!

Reckon somethings badly wrong with the hard-drive.

Can anyone recommend a decent reasonably priced local Pc repair shop around the local Rayleigh/Hockley/Southend area?

Although I bought it at PC world 2 years ago I really don't want to take it to the spotty know-it-alls there if it can be helped.

Ta chaps.

Last edited:
As my I.T friend of mine told me when he came to have a look at my PC as it was knackered ' mate the only thing old old pc is good for is a door stop '

I have had to update my PC evry 3 years unfortunatly .

Get yourself a new hard drive....prob cheaper than getting someone to look at it anyway.

How do you know about that headboard sound tho?

You said you got it at PC world ?

Is it an e-machine , the power supplies on E-machines are known to be very suspect and they have been known to fry the processors on their way out

My home PC has gone for a burton- I switch it on & all that happens is the fan spins 50 to the dozen & a rhythmic clunking from the base-unit that resembles a Pitsea whores headboard on a busy night!

Can anyone recommend a decent reasonably priced local Pc repair shop around the local Rayleigh/Hockley/Southend area?

Although I bought it at PC world 2 years ago I really don't want to take it to the spotty know-it-alls there if it can be helped.

Ta chaps.

May be worth sticking the HDD into another PC so it's a secondary rather than bootable drive. You may be able to recover photos, documents etc!!

Ta chaps.

don't blame you mate, they are a useless bunch of idiots

You said you got it at PC world ?

Is it an e-machine , the power supplies on E-machines are known to be very suspect and they have been known to fry the processors on their way out

Seen a few of these go - they often take out the motherboard, but leave the chip intact. I repaired one earlier this year - cost about £20 for a new power unit, and about £40 for the new motherboard...

Seen a few of these go - they often take out the motherboard, but leave the chip intact. I repaired one earlier this year - cost about £20 for a new power unit, and about £40 for the new motherboard...

My step daughters just went, i have a couple of working old pcs at home so I thought I might just swap the PSU over ....no chance, nor could i just take the hard drive and switch that into one of the working PC's instead so 15 quid off e-buyer and I got a niftry liitle case and turned the Hard Drive into a USD external drive and she can transfer all the files to the lap top she has.

Back