• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Under Brown our longest run without a win was 13 games without a win in 2013/14, featuring 8 draws and 5 losses.

Our last 13 games show 2 wins, 2 draws, 9 defeats, so the same points tally of 8 points from 13 games. We are currently on a streak of 6 games without picking up a point, and 8 without a win. This is currently our worst spell of form since Brown arrived at the club.

Based on the second half of last season, the last 23 results duplicated to simulate the whole season, we would have finished on 40 points, one point above Crewe and two less than Colchester to have put us in 23rd. If we had maintained the form of the first 23 games of the season, we would have finished in 8th on goal difference behind Barnsley in the last play-off position and Scunthorpe.

On the bright side though, after that run in 2013/14, we then won 6 and lost 2 of the 8 remaining league games of the season.

Looking at what is to come in the league: Port Vale (A), Sheffield United (A), Bristol Rovers (H), Fleetwood (H), Bolton (A), Scunthorpe (A), Millwall (H), Northampton (A), Oxford (H), Peterborough (H).

I'd say we should get something at Port Vale, but then our home form will be vital as the next three away games will be very tough to come away with anything and even Northampton won't be easy. Of the home fixtures, Millwall would be the only one where I would expect us to lose (forgetting current form).

When was the last time we lost 6 league games on the bounce?....in fact has this ever happened?

When was the last time we lost 6 league games on the bounce?....in fact has this ever happened?
Struggling to find a full results list for 2001/02 and before, but since then our worst is 5 defeats on the bounce in March 2003. Rob Newman avoided a 6th by beating Leyton Orient and was sacked three days later.

Here you go, as always, the excellent SUFC database website has the information:

http://sufcdb.co.uk/results.php?y=2001

This season was close, but there's a cheeky little draw in the middle of 7 losses:

http://sufcdb.co.uk/results.php?y=1997
Thanks OBL!

Yes it has happened before!

6 consecutive defeats August to September 1987 feat an 8-1 defeat to Gillingham, 6-2 to Notts County and 4-1 to Port Vale.
6 consecutive defeats February to March 1954.
6 consecutive defeats December 1931 to January 1932, although one was FA Cup and not league.

Pre-WWI scores not recorded for any league fixtures. We've never gone 7 defeats in a row.

Never have I (and others around me for that matter) wished that I hadn't renewed my season card after the first game of the season! Not because we got beat, but by the nature and attitude of the defeat.

Nothing has changed since the end of last season attitude or tactics wise and lessons have not been learnt, and seeing as some of the players have changed there is only one thing in common... the manager and his coaching staff. Give em 6 more games (tops) and ship em all out if there is no improvement!

Its too early to think of relegation after Saturday. But our form over last 10 or so games is not acceptable or is the current coaching team. PB must sign a decent CH and an enforcer in midfield. Without some additional quality its likely to end in tears im afraid. I do find that having just carried on this season as if the last seasons problems were a bad dream, is totally unacceptable . PB needs to fix things pronto, I think 12 league game is plenty of time, if not time to hit the road pal !

Couple more defeats in the next few games and Phil Brown should really be worried .

Form wise since Febuary we are one of the worst teams in England

It's 5 years since I last saw us play live and Saturday was a real eye opener.

I have never seen a team build up 'attacks' so slowly, it was painful to see with no forward movement off the ball to speak of, and no one in midfield capable of driving forward or picking a pass.

I fully understand that this is the first game of the season but if the tactics continue like this then it will be a very long season.

Its too early to think of relegation after Saturday. But our form over last 10 or so games is not acceptable or is the current coaching team. PB must sign a decent CH and an enforcer in midfield. Without some additional quality its likely to end in tears im afraid. I do find that having just carried on this season as if the last seasons problems were a bad dream, is totally unacceptable . PB needs to fix things pronto, I think 12 league game is plenty of time, if not time to hit the road pal !

Try the last eighteen games- twelve points - even worse than Gillingham (just).

You lost me on 'current form'.

We've played one game.

Indeed. Not so much glass half empty, as glass smashed into the wall and the fragments ground into the face of a puppy.

Sorry but I find these kinds of attitudes to what was witnessed yesterday exasperating. Why does "current form" have to be consigned to this season? Many of the same players are here, and the same coaching team and coaching/playing mentality is in place - and as we saw yesterday, we have the same issues as last season and few lessons learnt from the woeful way the team was set-up tactically during the last campaign. So why can we not view yesterday as a continuation of the end of last season? It quite clearly was. What's the point in sweeping it under the carpet?

It's 5 years since I last saw us play live and Saturday was a real eye opener.

I have never seen a team build up 'attacks' so slowly, it was painful to see with no forward movement off the ball to speak of, and no one in midfield capable of driving forward or picking a pass.

I fully understand that this is the first game of the season but if the tactics continue like this then it will be a very long season.

You haven't been in 5 years but you saw yesterday all the problems and issues that I constantly pipe about in my post-match ramblings. Horribly slow, predictable and easy-to-defend-against build-up play involving sideways and backwards passes, wingers running into dead ends, and inability to link midfield to strikers, run at the opposition with ball at feet or pick out a penetrating pass to a runner into space.

I often get shot down when raising these issues and daring to suggest that the root of the problems lie in poor management, poor coaching and horrible tactical philosophy but it looks like you're seeing the same things that I see with your fresher eyes!

Sorry but I find these kinds of attitudes to what was witnessed yesterday exasperating. Why does "current form" have to be consigned to this season? Many of the same players are here, and the same coaching team and coaching/playing mentality is in place - and as we saw yesterday, we have the same issues as last season and few lessons learnt from the woeful way the team was set-up tactically during the last campaign. So why can we not view yesterday as a continuation of the end of last season? It quite clearly was. What's the point in sweeping it under the carpet?

You haven't been in 5 years but you saw yesterday all the problems and issues that I constantly pipe about in my post-match ramblings. Horribly slow, predictable and easy-to-defend-against build-up play involving sideways and backwards passes, wingers running into dead ends, and inability to link midfield to strikers, run at the opposition with ball at feet or pick out a penetrating pass to a runner into space.

I often get shot down when raising these issues and daring to suggest that the root of the problems lie in poor management, poor coaching and horrible tactical philosophy but it looks like you're seeing the same things that I see with your fresher eyes!

Well you are a tactical genius...

You moan about our play over the last 5 years.....

Well in the last TWO YEARS....we've been promoted and then secured a safe mid-table finish in the league above where we had/have teams around that can afford to spend over a £1,000,000 on one player.

People need a reality check.

I am with you totally on all of this

But ive been reading this forum for a while and you CANT WAIT until brown fails...

He fails most weeks. We cannot defend set pieces, our build up play is painfully slow and PB always blames everybody else. I'd rather he went now and we got someone in with fresh ideas

He fails most weeks. We cannot defend set pieces, our build up play is painfully slow and PB always blames everybody else. I'd rather he went now and we got someone in with fresh ideas

Fails most weeks? But managed to get us promoted and a safe mid table positions. Wish I failed most weeks at work...

Back