• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Current squad & areas to strengthen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
We are still awaiting the retained/released list. But this is the current squad to the best of our knowledge.

I make it 17 at best, if those with a (?) are actually retained.

Assuming the sale is completed and no embargo gets in the way, where do we need to strengthen?

How many do we need?

GK:

Collin Andeng-Ndi
Dave Martin (?)

DEF:

Jason Demetriou (?)
Gus Scott-Morriss
Nathan Ralph
Ollie Kensdale
Harry Taylor
Adam Crowther

MID:

Cav Miley
Noor Husin
Wes Fonguck (?)
James Morton
Jack Wood (?)
Jack Bridge
Oli Coker

FWD:

Danny Waldron
Harry Cardwell

And on that basis @Smiffy, we would not be able to field the 7 subs on the bench new addition this season.

2 new strikers (Pearce & McCallum??), RWB cover for Gus and a versatile CB are a must IMO - this should be the bare minimum.

2 Strikers
1 CB
1 Cover Wing-Back
2 CM who are attacking minded (If Wes and Wood leave)
1 Winger/fast player

I’d say:
  • Keep Martin and Demetriou as player-coaches
  • Release Fonguck if we can sign an upgrade (e.g. Toby Edser)
  • Activate the option on Jack Wood’s contract if he’s happy to continue as a back-up player; if not, then release him
  • Sign a proven goalscoring target-man (e.g. Paul McCallum)
  • Sign a goalscoring second-striker to upgrade Powell (e.g. Ollie Pearce)
  • Sign a back-up RWB
  • Sign a back-up LCB; would be preferable if this player can cover LWB as well, but if not…
  • Sign a back-up LWB
  • And then obviously, if anyone else was to leave, they’d need to be replaced, too
I make that at least four new signings, potentially as many as six before any player sales. Considering a fair few players have already left over the past few months, that may have freed up some budget already.

As a minimum I would like to see 6 or 7 come in. Plus some random names thrown in the hat (some probably unrealistic):

1 x GK (If DM is not retained) - Nick Hayes?
1 x RB - Joe Felix?
1 x CB (Ideally left footed so can cover LB) ?
1 x CAM - Charlie Ruff/Jack Payne/Noah Chilvers?
1 x RW - Justin Johnson/Tarryn Allarakhia?
2 x ST - Paul McCallum/Ollie Pearce/Andy Dallas?

Total squad numbers around 22-24.

I’d say:
  • Activate the option on Jack Wood’s contract if he’s happy to continue as a back-up player; if not, then release him
  • Sign a back-up RWB
  • Sign a back-up LCB; would be preferable if this player can cover LWB as well, but if not…
  • Sign a back-up LWB
  • And then obviously, if anyone else was to leave, they’d need to be replaced, too
I make that at least four new signings, potentially as many as six before any player sales. Considering a fair few players have already left over the past few months, that may have freed up some budget already.
Bang on.

I’d say:
  • Sign a back-up RWB
  • Sign a back-up LWB
Joe Felix at RWB?

I’d say:
  • Sign a back-up RWB
  • Sign a back-up LWB
Really good other than the use of “back-up” which in my opinion should not be the approach we take when signing players for a small squad. Anyone coming in should be capable of replacing and retaining their place in the team over those currently here.

As a minimum I would like to see 6 or 7 come in. Plus some random names thrown in the hat (some probably unrealistic):

1 x RB - Joe Felix?

Good shout

If we brought in 7 would still give us a smallish squad ( 24 ) I suspect in terms of what we will be up against in our Competitors , if lasts season was anything to go by

Miley Faulkner was offered a pro deal if we’re concerned with filling the bench.

I’m not sure what Jacob Bland’s status is either.

Essentially you want a core squad of around 17-18 players supplemented by some longer term prospects.

I’d therefore suggest we need a further two forwards - I’d expect us to try and make Dackers permanent for one of them.

A left wing-back/left centre-back is a must.

An attacking midfielder to replace Dan Mooney (but someone who plays more centrally).

I’d then look for a couple of youngsters to develop for the longer term, like we did when we signed Kensdale. Maybe a right wingback who can then go out on loan to a NLS side and Kensdale’s eventual successor? A young attacking midfielder and a target man could also make sense as developmental targets.

I’d also like a utility player given we have no reserve team. My thinking here is that it will be tough to keep everyone match fit and motivated. Someone who can play several positions will be easier to find game time for to keep them involved and sharp.

The squad can be supplemented during the season with loan signings to cover injuries whilst leaving budget for strengthening the squad mis-season if a position isn’t performing.

1 x RB - Joe Felix?

To achieve those players we need to spend money to release from their clubs contracts. Also in the case of Paul McCallum we will need to make an improvement on his current financial contract and as I’ve mentioned before there has been a reluctance to match a striker’s salary in the past (albeit under previous ownership.) There also maybe a few league 2 clubs prepared to offer him a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back