• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Looking at the fixture list it seems the cup starts next Tuesday.

It seems to me as an outsider looking in that we are still not sure who our long term keeper is going to be.

I cant help but think its about time Bentley was given a full run out in a game or two before we thrust him into first team football. We seemed to have played every trailist we can in preference to him and yet I feel he maybe needs the big game experience now with the season just five days away.

Hopefully we will get a run out against Spurs..

I think the club will get in 'first choice' keeper in time for the season, Dan has had some time between the sticks, he got 90 minutes against Ipswich, and did fairly well, he also played last night against Charlton. Hopefully he will get a look-in on Friday. But unfortunately it appears it that the club don't consider him a viable long term solution. Which in itself has to be a little concerning for him.

I know that its not a workable option at present, but I think Dan would benefit from a loan spell in the Blue Square, to get first team experience and a chance to prove himself!

From what I have seen of him, he looks to have all of the attributes to be a good keeper in the future. He is still only 19 and shouldn't be thinking of pushing to be first choice keeper for at least another 2 or 3 seasons (as long as he progresses enough to make the step up).

Sending him out on loan would be an option, but then that means you have to get two keepers in, instead of one, which we are struggling with at the moment.

It's difficult with Keepers, you can't just give them 5 minutes here and there like you can with out field players to build their confidence. I think sending Keepers out on loan when they are 20/21 is the best age for them to go. They are old enough to take knocks of confidence and physically strong enough to throw themselves into the job. Butland is obviously the same age as Bentley, but Physically he looks a lot more developed and about 1 or 2 stone heavier than Bentley.

Interestingly there is nearly always a keeper on the subs bench but I can never recall a time when a goalie has gone off to give the sub some experience. Too risky I hear you say but it would be possible with 10 minutes to go say and a 2 goal lead in the bag, no?

I think the club will get in 'first choice' keeper in time for the season, Dan has had some time between the sticks, he got 90 minutes against Ipswich, and did fairly well, he also played last night against Charlton. Hopefully he will get a look-in on Friday. But unfortunately it appears it that the club don't consider him a viable long term solution. Which in itself has to be a little concerning for him.

I know that its not a workable option at present, but I think Dan would benefit from a loan spell in the Blue Square, to get first team experience and a chance to prove himself!

The club definitely do see him as a long term solution, otherwise they would've got rid of him like the many other young keepers we've had who are now playing in the Blue Square and doing very well for themselves (Nathan McDonald, Joe Welch). But you have to be exceptional as a keeper at whatever level you're at to be first choice at 19 years of age. Sturrock has already said Bentley and Chambers will be sent out on loan for first team experience, I'm pretty sure we'll have a senior keeper signed by Tuesday and then if a back up can be signed then Bentley will be shipped out on loan.

Interestingly there is nearly always a keeper on the subs bench but I can never recall a time when a goalie has gone off to give the sub some experience. Too risky I hear you say but it would be possible with 10 minutes to go say and a 2 goal lead in the bag, no?

Wouldn't help a keeper, experience is over 90 mins for a keeper, it's not the same as an outfield player. The reason we always have one on the bench is because we'd be ****ed if the 1st choice got injured or sent off.

From what I have seen of him, he looks to have all of the attributes to be a good keeper in the future. He is still only 19 and shouldn't be thinking of pushing to be first choice keeper for at least another 2 or 3 seasons (as long as he progresses enough to make the step up).

Sending him out on loan would be an option, but then that means you have to get two keepers in, instead of one, which we are struggling with at the moment.

It's difficult with Keepers, you can't just give them 5 minutes here and there like you can with out field players to build their confidence. I think sending Keepers out on loan when they are 20/21 is the best age for them to go. They are old enough to take knocks of confidence and physically strong enough to throw themselves into the job. Butland is obviously the same age as Bentley, but Physically he looks a lot more developed and about 1 or 2 stone heavier than Bentley.

You forgot to add and absolutely pants when he played at Roots Hall last season for Cheltenham:smile:

You forgot to add and absolutely pants when he played at Roots Hall last season for Cheltenham:smile:
Butland was crap against us for Cheltenham hence the chants of Dodgy keeper which he himself found time to laugh at.

Sturrock has already said Bentley and Chambers will be sent out on loan for first team experience, I'm pretty sure we'll have a senior keeper signed by Tuesday and then if a back up can be signed then Bentley will be shipped out on loan.

I think it would make sense to have one of Chambers or Bentley out on loan for the first half of the season and the other for the second half of the season with whichever is still here covering on the bench. They're both clearly talented but need game time.

I think it would make sense to have one of Chambers or Bentley out on loan for the first half of the season and the other for the second half of the season with whichever is still here covering on the bench. They're both clearly talented but need game time.

Thing is Beef is most of the youngsters we send out don't make the starting XI wherever they are, even at Ryman North level .. worrying i feel

Back