• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He's had one season at Conference level (at a part-time club), years at Concord even lower down and has done well but for me that is nowhere near enough to show you're ready for a League One position and certainly not worth the risk of binning an established (admittedly irksome, defensive-minded and currently very dubious) manager for.

I find a certain irony in people getting so ****ed off with our manager wanting to leave us for a bigger club that they want to replace him with a manager from a smaller club.

I find a certain irony in people getting so ****ed off with our manager wanting to leave us for a bigger club that they want to replace him with a manager from a smaller club.

Which is why none of us are successful professional football managers or club chairmen I guess.

Lincoln City sounds like a dead job to me.

Depends how much he enjoys teaching v. full time management.

Wouldn't he have been better off being phased into the Roots Hall set-up and keeping his job at Fitz?

Ps, Notts County.

There's a poisoned chalice if ever there was one.

They turn over managers quicker than The Elms!

Danny Cowley badly let down the year ten boys team at Fitzwymark. They were doing well and had a chance of the play-offs but ever since he has been linked with a full time football move their results have badly slipped. He never once came out and ended the speculation, so how could those boys possible give 100% when their teacher was openly flirting with the big time.

Some parents are so angry they have offered to drive him to his new job just to get shot of him. Another parent actually witnessed him out having a quiet meal in Rayleigh one Saturday night with his girlfriend. Still on the bright side, I think Miss Jones who has done well with the year 7 girls netball team should be given the chance to step up a few levels to the boys football team.

Lincoln City sounds like a dead job to me.

Depends how much he enjoys teaching v. full time management.

Wouldn't he have been better off being phased into the Roots Hall set-up and keeping his job at Fitz?

Why? He has a few years worth of non-league experience, and that's it. Hardly a great recommendation for a role
at FL level.

Why not?

I wouldn't suggest he was put in charge of the 1st Team, but certainly a development role with the youth set-up.

Tilly & Brush tried to get them to play football, but they were full of tall guys brought up on an unsuccessful diet of hoofing it.

The two didn't mix and results didn't improve quickly enough.

Lincoln have definitely benefited since, though, as we can see from their league status!

Tilly & Brush tried to get them to play football, but they were full of tall guys brought up on an unsuccessful diet of hoofing it.

The two didn't mix and results didn't improve quickly enough

Lincoln have definitely benefited since, though, as we can see from their league status!

Actually they improved dramatically to start with and then tailed off again.

Agreed, but I think the management expected instant promotion and it wasn't forthcoming.

Usual quick fix solution to a long term problem.

Some comments never cease to amaze me, here we have a manager thats done everything asked of him thus far, secured us a promotion and also safety in our first season back in league 1,even had us flirting with the playoffs for most of the season,and all this with a team that really shouldnt be where it is.Yes hes a northerner and most dont like him,but hes done a bloody good job so far ,maybe the team dosent play with flair and he is defensive minded and sometimes opens his mouth too much , but i love it that my club has a manager thats passionate about his job and the club. Now why would you want to replace him with an unproven part time manager( unproven at FL level ), it beats me.:stunned:

Why are there three pages of thread on this? Agree with Beefys comments - it's a disagrace when our players or managers want to move onto a higher level, but it's fine for us to express interest in the players or managers of clubs that are smaller than us? I don't think so.

To be fair, having seen Braintree play twice this season - the first time was against us in the early pre season friendly and again on Sunday in their play off game vs Grimsby, they are a very decent side at conference level and they could teach us a thing or two about back against the wall defending and grabbing the best of the half opportunities that present themselves on the break.

I don't think they were any worse than at least half of the sides we saw last season in League 2, so I think the debate over Danny Cowleys ability as a manager is a bit of a moot point. Given a full time role, with committed players in a full time professional set up, Danny Cowley has the potential to do very well. I would give him a chance at Southend any day of the week. That is in no way intended to upset the PB lovers amongst us, but I do get very frustrated with Mr Browns tactics at times, and I often wonder if we could do better...?

Cowley has done an excellent job at Braintree this year and has taken them a few steps further towards the football league, building on the work that Alan Devonshire put in over the last few years. The trouble he has there, which is likely to be the same issue as Alan Devonshire before him is that Braintree really are a cash strapped tin pot local side, and there really isn't any money for anything there, so progression is going to be difficult for an ambitious young manager like Cowley to take them to the next level.

The big difference between the sides on Sunday was ultimately about fitness rather than will or ability - and that was only to be expected on such a hot day when a part time side who had been working in their normal jobs all week and had taken a midweek trip up to Grimsby came up against a full time side at the end of a long season. Ironically, they disadvantaged themselves by finishing third as they would have been better off with the away leg at the weekend so they didn't have to fit in a long away trip during a working week!

Danny & his brother have officially stepped down from their managerial posts, but declined to reveal the club they are heading to.

Im guessing Lincoln, other names in the hat are Northampton or Tranmere.

Danny & his brother have officially stepped down from their managerial posts, but declined to reveal the club they are heading to.

Im guessing Lincoln, other names in the hat are Northampton or Tranmere.

Notts County are also supposed to be after the pair of them I heard

Good luck to them both, tranmere would be a good move as I can see them coming back into the football league very soon on there healthy wage budget:thumbsup:

Back