• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Danny Greaves & Roy McDonough

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers 🍤 ⭐
Hopefully you guys will be able to help me out.

I'm doing some work at the moment based about Southend United player stats and I've been using soccerbase to help me, but they haven't been able to help on the names above.

Does anybody know the following details about them:

Date of birth - I have Roy's.
Date of signing for Southend.
Date they left Southend.
Transfer fee paid.
Transfer fee received.
League appearances, with sub appearances e.g 49(4).
League goals.
Cup appearances, with sub appearances
Cup goals.

If anyone is able to help, or point me in the right direction that would be a massive help.

Also, I was too young to have seen these two pull on a Southend United shirt. I know Roy was an "all action" style of player, but was there more to his game then the sending offs? What was Greaves like as a player? I know he was a striker, with a fairly decent goal return, but what was he like?

I'm afraid I have no stats for you but I saw Danny Greaves play lots of times and to be honest he was an 80's version of Anthony Straker. He had the ability to do some pretty skilful stuff and then in the next minute he was like Bambi on ice. He never fulfilled his full potential and in his father, he had very big boots to fill.

Danny Greaves was a very poor player,who was fortunate to play in the first team.Perhaps his father being a long standing friend of chairman Vic Jobson,and attending matches at Roots Hall,influenced things.

Hopefully you guys will be able to help me out.

I'm doing some work at the moment based about Southend United player stats and I've been using soccerbase to help me, but they haven't been able to help on the names above.

Does anybody know the following details about them:

Date of birth - I have Roy's.
Date of signing for Southend.
Date they left Southend.
Transfer fee paid.
Transfer fee received.
League appearances, with sub appearances e.g 49(4).
League goals.
Cup appearances, with sub appearances
Cup goals.

If anyone is able to help, or point me in the right direction that would be a massive help.

Also, I was too young to have seen these two pull on a Southend United shirt. I know Roy was an "all action" style of player, but was there more to his game then the sending offs? What was Greaves like as a player? I know he was a striker, with a fairly decent goal return, but what was he like?

The measure of Big Roy's value to the team was not so much in what he did, but what the highly prolific strikers were able to achieve playing alongside him.

Danny Greaves
Born 31/10/63
Signed from Spurs 80/81
Left to Dagenham March 1984
Apps League 30 (19) Goals League 14
Apps Cup 3 (1)

Big Roy
Born 16/10/58
Signed from Col U Aug 83 for
Joined Exeter Jan 85
Signed from Exeter Aug 85
Joined Col U October 90
Total league apps 185 (23) league goals 34
Total cup apps 31 (3) cup goals 5

Danny was poor. His brother Andy was on our books too, he was even worse. Never made the first team squad.

met them both as youngsters at a Billericay Town vs Ford Utd game where their Dad was playing for Ford.
They were eager for my brother and I to meet their Dad after the game and were very apologetic that we couldn't because he "wasn't well"

I know Danny quite well, played football with his son and nephews. Really nice guy and will happily talk to anyone, he's told me some great stories about his time at the club, particularly the Barry Fry era. Also some great stories about what a nightmare Mel Cappleton was as a part of his youth team, very funny stuff.

Back