• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Good manager Dave Smith,nice bloke,but if i remember correctly,had sad problems with his 2 children...That Watford game was (probably) the most violent (fans) game i went to,watching us play..Remember it "kicking off" in a pub in the town !!! people being bottled & glassed..i think one of the leigh comm lads getting arrested in the pub,was it Tricky??The biggest problem was forcing all of us (blues fans) into a small area.The police would not let all the blues fans into the our end,so i was told,so they tried to smash the gates down,to get in,ending up with quite a few lads getting arrested as well. Does anybody know how to see the game again on video-dvd

Silvo played alongside Stuart Parker for quite a lot of his time I think, I don't remember him being dropped...but I tend to not have as good a memory for the bad things. I do remember him scoring 4 in one game, a night time game, possibly against Brighton?

Correct, we won 4-0!

yes,sad,so sad,but i believe it was his daughter..so i was told.She ,now&then,went by coach,with our supporters,to watch us play.Some of the younger "fans" knew her well,who told me that very,very sad problem.Also remember his son,being robbed,by knife point,at Roots Hall,by some northern git( team)..Its also sad,how i remember such things, but after about 8 strong German beers i forgot my wife asked me to put the kettle on 4 minutes ago..but hey, whats more important.lüv ya

he was robbed,selling blues progs,took the money,not the progs

His daughter's name was Nikki Smith died of a drugs overdose aged 22. Not sure what happened to his son guess he is still alive

The clip is from the Watford away game towards the end of the 1977/78 season (1-1 Moody pen), in those days you got just two games on MOTD and we were the main game!

I went to the game with my brother who lived in Surrey at the time and I stayed at his flat afterwards. He and his then missus were going to a party and I was planning to revise for some exams. I then found out that he was the only person in England without a TV so I've never seen it. :stunned:

Dave Smith was erratic and had his favourites. He was dam luckly to keep his job after taking Southend down to the basement league.He also spent a lot of money. He was mediocre at Southend but very impressive at Mansfield and at Plymouth, his destination after leaving Southend.

Before my time, but 'mediocre' seems a little harsh given how we steamrollered Division Four under him in 1980/81!

The first manger I can remember! Did he not barricade himself in his office? after another troubled time at the Hall.
I may be wrong but seem to remember something like that.

Under Dave Smith we won the 4th Division. This was our home record that season (1980-81):

P 23
W 19
D 4
L 0
F 47
A 6

Now that is some record.

One of only two managers to have won silverware for us.

Well three, if you count Southern League division 2 under Bob Jack in 1906.

Smiffy used to allow stranded fans to travel home on the team coach.....top man.

Back