• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Day 5: Mark Gower - Player-a-day

Pubey

sorry about the late posting of this.. was up in london all day in a meeting.

anyway, G-man....

Gower. He's been a fantastic player over the time he's been with us, and when he's on form defenders can't handle him. Easily one of our best players last year.
He's been off-form all season and sometimes when he's not playing well he can be a bit of a liablity. However, class is permanent and all that: I hope that soon we will again see the Marky Gower that didn't look out of place when playing amongst the top players in the championship.

Yeah what John said, class player on his day if he can get back on form quick we will be hard to stop this season!

Probably our best signing and most concistent performer in the last 5 years regardless of Eastwood , Great player , good feet , eye for goal and a great end product.
I remember him skinning Therwell his ex Spurs pal and generally running him ragged when Hull came to Roots hall and got taught a lesson on their League 2 promotion year, the best performances under Newman we produced.

He has been here a long time, and has quite honestly awesome. The goals he has scored from midfield have been superb, the quality and more importantly quantity!! His problem is the way he can play for a month or two and do nothing, which he has done a little this season so far. He looked to be one of our only players good enough for the Championship last season, and I hope to see Gower back to his best asap. Class player when he is on form, we know he bottles the odd tackle or 10, but thats why we have been able to keep hold of him for so long. I never mind having him in the side, as he can produce something out of nothing, and that goal he got against Brizzle in the LDV area final 1st leg away was something else!!

agree with all that has been said so far.. would throw into the mix that perhaps with hammell behind him he may get back to his best

agree with all that has been said so far.. would throw into the mix that perhaps with hammell behind him he may get back to his best

Good shout on that Pubey. I think he'll benefit from having a more attacking full-back that can overlap effectively with him (although Barrett was doing that job quite well!)

He's due a screamer this season as well... :D

Apart from eastwood and Barrett he is one of the best signings made in the last five years, such a clever footballer with skill to burn, very surprised he still with us after last season, hope he gets back to his best soon because we will be unstoppable if that happens

Gower Power great servant to the club!
Problem I've noticed with him is his fitness levels... If he has a blinding game where his ran himself ragged he'll play cr#p in the next two games and the older he gets his physical body takes longer to recover.
Other than when he's on song he looks class!

My favourite player at the club since he signed really, I try to model the way I play to how he does, but the results never came :(

He was absolutly amazing last season and why a championship club didnt come in for him I will never no. He is a loyal player, wish he could have got a chance higher up in a way, as he is definitly good enough.

Someone should make a mark gower youtube video!

Probably my favourite player in all the years that I've been supporting the club. No offence to anyone who voted for anyone else but I thought it was a disgrace that Gower didn't walk away with the Player of the Year award last season. He looked the one true class act in the side for most of the season and I think he ended up as something like the second highest scoring midfielder from open play in the entire division.

The thing with Gower, and the reason why I've just about always stuck up for him on here when he was getting a huge amount of stick (for large parts of 04/05 and the tail end of 05/06 for those with short memories) is that even when he is playing poorly he still contributes more to our attacks than almost anyone else in the squad. With a lot of players, if they are off form they shy away from the ball wheras Gower is always looking for it, no matter how badly he is playing, and his teammates are always more than happy to give it to him because they know what he can do.

He's been slightly surpassed this season by the form of Bailey & McCormack but on his day he's still the best player in the squad.

The thing with Gower, and the reason why I've just about always stuck up for him on here when he was getting a huge amount of stick (for large parts of 04/05 and the tail end of 05/06 for those with short memories) is that even when he is playing poorly he still contributes more to our attacks than almost anyone else in the squad. .

agree entirely.

gower is a very skillful player(in fact, in terms of outright skill on the ball, probally the best in the squad - yet i do feel black has so much more to offer, but that is another issure...), and i for one think he is a pleasure to watch.

my favorite player at southend united.

I remember him skinning Therwell his ex Spurs pal and generally running him ragged when Hull came to Roots hall and got taught a lesson on their League 2 promotion year, the best performances under Newman we produced.

I cannot remeber Rob Newman signed Gower? do we ..... Newman would'nt sign Gower if he still in charge as he rather have Mark Beard than Gower.

Gower in my eye is one of Southend legend as he was part of team that escape the relegation to conference (look at York City now - if Tilson did'nt took over, it should be us not York) and played in 3 final at cardiff and was part of team that won League 1 champion.

He should have left us last Summer as any Championship side would love to have him in their team - after all 10 goals from midfield for a team near the bottom is some going. Hopefully he will be part of Southend team that make swift return to Championship and play at Fossett Farm Stadium in 2009!

Even though a lot of players that he brought in didn't manage to make a great success of their time here, I still think the Wignall Revolution helped to lay the foundations upon which Tilly built what we've now got. Newman's wasters and underachievers were shipped out and were replaced with strong characters and good honest Pros like Odunsi, Fullarton, Broughton, Warren, Jupp & Wilson alongside the ability that Gower and (occassionally) Corbett brought with them and that really ended up standing us in great stead.

Last edited:
I cannot remeber Rob Newman signed Gower? do we ..... Newman would'nt sign Gower if he still in charge as he rather have Mark Beard than Gower.

Gower in my eye is one of Southend legend as he was part of team that escape the relegation to conference (look at York City now - if Tilson did'nt took over, it should be us not York) and played in 3 final at cardiff and was part of team that won League 1 champion.

He should have left us last Summer as any Championship side would love to have him in their team - after all 10 goals from midfield for a team near the bottom is some going. Hopefully he will be part of Southend team that make swift return to Championship and play at Fossett Farm Stadium in 2009!

I stand corrected, i did seem such a long time ago though , but still remember the Hull game fondley.
Wignall built a base and Tilson just carried that on big time, as Beefy said he brought in seasoned Pro's that knew what it was all about in League 2 . I still remember the tackle that ended Odunsi career and it was such a shame as he could of been a great player for us.

Back