• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimper95

Coach⭐
Just wondering what everybody thinks our strongest defence is if everyone is fit (excluding Bennett)? I think that Phillips is a liability now and his legs have gone so I don't think he should be starting anymore. So I would go with:

O'Neill - White - Prosser - Coker

Just wondering what everybody thinks our strongest defence is if everyone is fit (excluding Bennett)? I think that Phillips is a liability now and his legs have gone so I don't think he should be starting anymore. So I would go with:

O'Neill - White - Prosser - Coker

I think you have to include Phillips and talk about a back 5, because one of them is always injured at any one time!!

Funny how fans have differing opinions. I thought Phillips had a reasonable game yesterday, not great but who was? It was blowing a gale diagonally across the pitch into our faces, and Mansfield had big players up front. We missed Prosser without a doubt. I happen to think we are better with a back 3 with the emphasis on attacking with quick short passing. We looked good yesterday when forced to go 3-4-2 with 10 men, similar to the game at Portsmouth.:smile:

I was very impressed with the very small time I saw of O'Neill and if he is fit then he e should play as John White is good but with the worry over the shoulder he is likely adversely affected.
MP is still as good a right centre you can get in this league, he has lost some pace but he reads the game very well and gets in front of and very close to his set striker; he is master of the nudge and rib jab: not many forwards fancy getting physical with him.
Like has really improved, he is big heartened and full of energy and when he stops the last bad habits of backing off and showing his player inside he will be better. Thankfully he limits his Beckham (Victoria not David) long floated passes to the opposition defenders now to just the odd aberration.
Ben Coker, normally a steady 8/10 player, crossing can be improved.
Dan B, best keeper outside championship.
IMO there is not much wrong with our defence.

I think the current fashion is to say Phillips is a liability when the reality is anything but.

I can only assume you missed Newport at home as he was atrocious. I liked him but I feel he is rapidly showing his age.

I've never judged any player on one game. There's a centre half called Terry who 12 months ago was considered past it by many people. In hindsight it was simply a bit of indifferent form.

Id still rather Phillips at the back than White.

Our first choice should be Bentley / White/ Phillips/Prosser/ Coker.

Mark Phillips is an excellent reader of the game and its just a shame he is not blessed with pace. Luke Prosser is much improved since he came here and in addition actually leads well as he is vocal. does seem that was missing on Saturday.

If we still had the Mark Phillips that won player of the season, then he would be a certain starter with Prosser. Sadly that was a couple of years ago and I'm not saying his "legs have gone" but you can tell he has dipped slightly.

I've always thought his running style was strange too, like he has just crapped himself!

If we still had the Mark Phillips that won player of the season, then he would be a certain starter with Prosser. Sadly that was a couple of years ago and I'm not saying his "legs have gone" but you can tell he has dipped slightly.

I've always thought his running style was strange too, like he has just crapped himself!

you have a point and yes it does appear more and more errors are creeping in. Personally wouldn't lose too much faith with Thompson but maybe Phillips has the edge on him.

I think the current fashion is to say Phillips is a liability when the reality is anything but.

Well said. I thought he did well on Sat in conditions which were a pigging nightmare for a CB who's lost a yard or two of pace.

I can only assume you missed Newport at home as he was atrocious. I liked him but I feel he is rapidly showing his age.

He didn't have his best game, but he was far from atrocious. Atrocious is Andy Harris, Keith Dublin or Ben Lewis.

In the 8 matches Phillip's been back in the team since Kiernan left we've only conceded 8 goals and two of those were against Premier$hite opposition and another 2 were when he was missing his usual defensive partner.

I fear his injuries are catching up with him though and don't think he's quite the player he was a year or two ago.

Against W W the defence did ok, MP stood up well to the physical stuff (as usual) and Egan had a sound debut.
I believe there is a place in sides for all the defenders we have BUT that only certain combinations will work well together and others won't be properly effective ( similar to Clarke/Barratt). MP shouldn't play alongside Thomson (too similar) BUT at present we have what we have so we need to make the best we can of it.
Could one of the midfield work as a centre back such as Mac? did at Swindon?

Back