• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Don't think you can read too much into what CP says at the moment. He has got to keep these players on board for one more month in order to maximise their performances and, by definition, that of the team.

However come the end of the season I think you'll find that there will be a number of changes, some of which we won't have anticipated. With the exception of Demi, Elvis and Harry I don't think it is an absolute 'slam dunk' that any of the above will be definitely in the squad available to ply their trade in our back four next season - for many and varied reasons.

Will some of the older players want to go on for another season - despite in AF's case having a year left? Will Rob Kiernan ever recover from his surgery? Will the club want to offer the likes of Coker the extended (and at his age) effectively final lucrative contract he wil no doubt be looking for? Has Hendrie determined he wants to stay closer to home?

Point is is there are a number of personal and medical dynamics we won't be aware of BEFORE you ask yourself whether CP sees them as part of his plans. A lot more water to go under the bridge I think, not just in defence but right across the squad.

I'm not sure we'll see a lot of change to our defenders. Of those listed above, Anton might see that he's not going to get much game time and be happy to agree an exit, and John White is one that SCP seems to rate so I think he'll get offered another year (he might look elsewhere though for a longer/better contract given his age).

The one that I'm not so sure about is Stephen Hendrie. He doesn't appear to be pulling up trees in the SPL for Motherwell but I still think there's a really good player there if he gets his head right. I wouldn't be surprised though if we let him go on a free transfer to a Scottish club.

I know Anton is doing his coaching badges, I think Cox and Tims both have done too. It's good that they are preparing for life after playing. I hope, in all three cases, that it's not just yet though, I think they all have more to give.

The best player for CP has been Turner for many reasons and he looks to have a very good attitude. Yes he was unfortunate with that early injury but all our defenders and even both keepers have all had long term injuries. If CP has other plans and we get a better 'traditional' CB I will be nightly impressed.

What CP does for next season will depend a lot on what he is asked to do. If the target is to get promoted in two seasons time, then a couple of the old heads can help bring on less experienced players and set them up for the Championship. If it is to go up next season then you will likely want to only keep one experienced veteran and bring on, at pace, the crop you see being the future. If you want to go up in CP's first full season, it would be madness to retain too many of the ancients as it would mean a total revamp for the following season in a higher league. Continuity is priceless.

What CP does for next season will depend a lot on what he is asked to do. If the target is to get promoted in two seasons time, then a couple of the old heads can help bring on less experienced players and set them up for the Championship. If it is to go up next season then you will likely want to only keep one experienced veteran and bring on, at pace, the crop you see being the future. If you want to go up in CP's first full season, it would be madness to retain too many of the ancients as it would mean a total revamp for the following season in a higher league. Continuity is priceless.

I will be really pleased if CP takes the approach you suggest. I'm not sure how common that is within football though. It would certainly be a welcome departure from the previous regime.

After Turners early season injury, for me he has been pure quality at this level. A Big plus is he can get goals for us, I also think the man should be our skipper as he is a fine example to our younger pro`s !

Aside from Oxley, you could argue that Turner may be player of the season. I always thought that even after conceding a lot of goals in games, he looked good as an individual. It was others around him that looked awful. I've not really seen him have a total individual shocker. I may be wrong.

Back