• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Defensive Problems & Tatics

Banksy

First XI
Che - Not good enough
Spinner - Age may be catching up with him
Edwards  (although not playing) - Similar
Gutteridge - Just not good enough

Gower -Based on his performance on Saturday - He must start

Cole - Balls into the box - not picking out any body but nevertheless they created panic amongst PV defenders

Gray - great goal but what else ?

Freddy - if you don't set him up - he scoring chances will be limited and you will see him (as he did on Saturday) try to create something out of nothing which invariably - leads to nothing !

And we defend too deep - Lowndes must have thought that it was his Birthday!!!!!!

Che - Thought he was ok, hopefully with a few games under his belt will be better - One problem though is that he never seems to go in for tackles!!
Spinner - Think your right
Edwards - Same
Gutteridge - Disagree with that, think he is a good player, will see what he can do this season, if Tilly didnt rate him we wouldnt have got him on 3 year.Although i can see what you mean at the mo. Needs to get a goal
Gower - Lets see what he can do over the next few games...
Cole - Looks good cant wait to see some more runs
Gray - I like Gray, thought he was good on Sat, looking forward to Goater tho.

Freddy - No comment, He is my Hero!!!
smile.gif

Spinner just had a poor game, and even Sir Adam was caught out badly for both goals. Che isn't good enough for L1 (not as a 1st choice LB) you're quite right but I can't believe you can list all these plus others and not mention Juppy who should be used as cover in this division and nothing else. As for Guttridge I didn't thiunk he was too bad Saturday, he's just not a winger - Gower will start at Bradford.

Sorry forgot about about Jupp, was not very good sat. FORWARD!!

Che - Thought he did ok

Spinner - I am gutted he's injured

Guttridge - Unlucky to be subbed IMO

Gower - Did ok when he came on - Would still start Gutt in front of him though. Gower gave to many poor performances last year and in pre-season to warrant his place this quick

Cole - Looked lively and was prepared to have a go. Will only get better

Gray - Very poor in first half - Different kettle of fish in the 2nd. Early contender for Goal of the season me thinks!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Aug. 08 2005,09:43)]Sorry forgot about about Jupp, was not very good sat. FORWARD!!
I thought Jupp gave excellent support when going forward.......... maybe i was watching a different game?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MarkBentleyAppreciationSociety @ Aug. 08 2005,09:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Aug. 08 2005,09:43)]Sorry forgot about about Jupp, was not very good sat. FORWARD!!
I thought Jupp gave excellent support when going forward.......... maybe i was watching a different game?
Yeah he wasnt too bad sat, sometimes im a bit scared, Saturday though he did lose the call for the 2nd goal which worried me a bit! but other than that maybe my perception was rubbish. Thanks
smile.gif

I still think Guttridge is class and was looking like our most dangerous player at the point he was substituted on Saturday. OK - so he's not a winger, but he gives us options going forward and can definitely do a job for us in the middle. IMO, Tilly must find a way to get the best use out of him.

I thought Jupp was one of our better players, gave an excellent attacking full back performance but did get caught out for the 2nd goal.
Only one game though, too soon to be going OTT in criticism. Apart from the first half hour we played really well I thought. And remember last season we got throughly outplayed by Cheltenham in our first game and look what happened after that.
I do think though that the return of Jay Smith cant come quick enough.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpbizkit @ Aug. 08 2005,10:11)]I thought Jupp was one of our better players, gave an excellent attacking full back performance but did get caught out for the 2nd goal.
Only one game though, too soon to be going OTT in criticism. Apart from the first half hour we played really well I thought. And remember last season we got throughly outplayed by Cheltenham in our first game and look what happened after that.
I do think though that the return of Jay Smith cant come quick enough.
Jupp was excellent Saturday I thought - especially second half. Cannot understand how people cannot see it?!

Guttridge the same - looks a player of high quality and intelligence IMO...

Flahavan - Left exposed for both goals, but some good saves.
Jupp - Good forward runs, but caught at the back - lack of pace.
Spinner - Hope he'll get over his injury - did a good job overall.
Barratt - Not at his best, but he will learn from Saturday's game.
Wilson - Could do more, but did little wrong on the left.
Guttridge - Still doesn't look the finished article - fitness maybe?
Maher - Still showing his class with some great distribution.
Bentley - Didn't seem to be as committed on Saturday - disappointing.
Cole - Will get better with training and plenty of hard work.
Gray - Worked hard, got a good goal but missed an easier one!!!
Eastwood - didn't get the service until Gower came on.
Gower (Guttridge) - changed the game for me. Needs to play.
Hunt (Spinner) - Had a solid game in the middle of defence.
Lawson (Cole) - Only had a few minutes.

I think Tilson will make one or two changes based on how the squad played when we made some substitutions. Our style of play returned for the final 30 minutes on Saturday and it's disappointing we didn't get anything out of the game, as we certainly created enough chances to win.

Guttridge looked excellent when playing in central midfield pre-season, perhaps given that Bentley looked a bit off-colour on Saturday he might be worth a start there, although against Bradford we'll probably need Bentley's physical prescence. Might be an idea for the Huddersfield game though.
Gower changed the game, I think he should start against Bradford with Cole on the left.
Cole will come good, he needs to get some experience under his belt though.
Maher impressed me, misplaced a few passes but showed passion and commitment and never stopped working for the team.
Gray was still a bit disappointing, especially in the first half (although everyone was a bit crap in the first half). Still gets knocked over too easily IMO.
Eastwood didn't have a great game but had no service to work from, he'll be back.

Flahavan - made two good saves and seemingly not at fault for either Vale goal
Jupp - as ever, good going forward, but a vital mistake which led to Vale's second
Wilson - solid and unspectacular. I think will do well in League One, despite other's reservations
Prior - improved as the game wore on until his injury
Barrett- at fault for the first goal. Brilliant trick to fool teh Vale forward in the corner, but followed this with a poor clearnace and within 10 seconds a goal. With hindsight, should have put the ball over the West Stand
Guttridge - did OK IMO. Produced our first shot on target in 2005/6. Another who could prove an asset at this level
Bentley - generally quiet, and should have got at least one of his headers on target. Leads the Bentey/Maher booking race 1-0
Maher - good second half. As captain, maybe should have upped our tempo in the opening period
Cole - showed glimpses of what he may be able to achieve. The delivery will get better I think. Just hope certain sections of the crowd don't get on his back (a la Stephen Clark)
Eastwood - the first touch wasn't there on Saturday, but we know this will get better. Great ball through to Gray for what could/should have been the eqauliser
Gray - goal apart I don't think ther was much to get too excited about, although there was an improvement in the second half. Good for his confidence that he did score though

Gower - good contribution when he came on. Worth a starting berth?
Hunt - dependable performance as sub
Lawson - not long enough to make any impact. Good touch though to win a corner late on

why is it everytime when duncan jupp is mentioned good going forward

yeah great but the main purpose of his game is to defend!!

hunt will be getting a run in the side now but not for the man he should be replacing

[b said:
Quote[/b] (statski77 @ Aug. 08 2005,13:04)]why is it everytime when duncan jupp is mentioned good going forward

yeah great but the main purpose of his game is to defend!!

hunt will be getting a run in the side now but not for the man he should be replacing
The trouble is, because we have consistently not played a naturally right-sided midfielder over the last season and a bit, we've relied on our right-back more or less constantly overlapping to give us width.

Now while I agree with you that Hunt is better than Jupp defensively, Jupp is a terrific athlete and covers the right flank superbly. Hunt is OK going forward but isn't as dynamic as Jupp, which is a worry if we're playing someone like Guttridge or Petts on the right, neither of whom give us much width.

I'd be more than happy to see Hunt at right-back but I do think we need someone who is naturally right-sided (i.e. Gower) in front of him to give the team better balance and relieve Hunt's burden going forward.

As it is, it looks like Hunt will be replacing Prior at centre back over the next month or so, which I have no problem with at all as he's more than assured in that position. In the meantime, I still have faith in Jupp to do a decent job at right-back. The clanger on Saturday was his first since he returned to the side (February?) and otherwise I thought he had a decent game.

I didn't think Jupp had a bad game on Saturday, he was the only one putting crosses in from the right until Gower came on. Ok perhaps he's not as good defensively as Hunt but his game seems more balanced between overlapping and defending.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Banksy @ Aug. 08 2005,09:10)]Che - Not good enough
Spinner - Age may be catching up with him
Edwards  (although not playing) - Similar
Gutteridge - Just not good enough

Gower -Based on his performance on Saturday - He must start

Cole - Balls into the box - not picking out any body but nevertheless they created panic amongst  PV defenders

Gray - great goal but what else ?

Freddy - if you don't set him up - he scoring chances will be limited and you will see him (as he did on Saturday) try to create something out of nothing which invariably - leads to nothing !

And we defend too deep - Lowndes must have thought that it was his Birthday!!!!!!
Spot on Banksy.

The defence gave the ball away far too often. There's no point in Barrett turning his man if he is only going to give it straight back to the opposition. Wilson has improved his overall game, but is uncomfortable on the ball and the sooner Hunt returns for Jupp the better.

This was the main cause of our problems as this meant we played too much of the first half without the ball. We can not knock it long to Freddy, and I'm not entirely convinced knocking it long to Gray is that much better.

I'm glad someone else has picked up on the point of us defending too deep. I have repeatedly commented on how we need a commanding 'keeper as otherwise the defence has to play too deep to cover the 'keeper's inadequacies.

Back