• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Depression

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
A friend of mine has been diagnosed with clinical depression. (S)He is on Escitolopram anti-depressants. (S)He has indirectly mentioned suicide (e.g I need a faster car and a big tree). What the .... do I do? I am seriously worried.

Blimey mate, she needs to see his/her GP surely. Too heavy a subject for this website.

Blimey mate, she needs to see his/her GP surely. Too heavy a subject for this website.

Not sure I agree that it's too heavy a discussion for here, but if you're worried that your friend is being serious, then immediate professional help is highly recommended.

Anti-depressants are bad news.

Not if they stop someone topping themselves they aren't.

(S)he is seeing the GP and Occ' health. She has a kid at home (I say kid, in 20's) so not alone. Work people have been very supportive but I feel so f..... useless. What can I do?

Not sure I agree that it's too heavy a discussion for here, but if you're worried that your friend is being serious, then immediate professional help is highly recommended.

Not if they stop someone topping themselves they aren't.

I was suicidal for over a year and i didn't touch them, they dont solve the problem.

(S)he is seeing the GP and Occ' health. She has a kid at home (I say kid, in 20's) so not alone. Work people have been very supportive but I feel so f..... useless. What can I do?

Just be there to support her I guess and a shoulder to cry on.

I was suicidal for over a year and i didn't touch them, they dont solve the problem.

It depends entirely on the person involved. I think that as a general rule GPs are too quick to turn to medication as the solution to everything. That said, you are speaking from personal experience, but it's not true to say that medication is the wrong solution for everyone.

In this particular instance, Rob can do very little except be there for the person, although his friend can only benefit from seeking help from as many sources as possible, to find out about they can be helped, and how they would like to be helped. Of course, if someone is far down a road and doesn't want to be heloped...then it becomes very complicated.

Johnny you're right. Medication treats the symptom, not the cause.

One can only work 18 hour days for so long before the mind/body says "I can't do this any more!"

Thank you all for your support, I really appreciate it.

As others have said, just continue to be there and as supportive as possible. Arrange to go out occasionally, pictures, a walk or just for a coffee or drink. Give them the opportunity to talk. If possible persuade them to speak with a counsellor. If it is any consolation, those that talk about it are often least likely to try - those intent will do so often without telling anyone, they just go off and do it. And if they are found in time, will try again maybe another way until they succeed.

This is the theory behind the death of the school cook mentioned the other day, and certainly was the case in the only one I have personal experience of - my life long best pal's mum.

Exercise is good at releasing postive feelings in the brain (endorphines or something like that). It does help as bizarre as it may seem.

And lay off the alcohol. It might seem to help but if thats how bad someone feels then its not recommended.

Other than that, what has been said before seems good advice to me.

The GP can refer her to go to Basildon Mental Health Unit. This is a unit which deals with attempted suicide cases and those thinking of suicide. When I worked at the hospital most failed suicide attempts went there under their own steam.

Make sure she is getting the right help mate, I have had experience of this that ended very badly. Dont wait till its too late. Make sure (s)he knows you are there anytime anywhere

Just to add to what's been suggested,
There's a whole world out there,waiting for us.
Get out,get about,do the things your freind has been putting off all these years.As someone else said,get some exercise.Get a hobby,an interest or perhaps something that you never thought your freind could do.
Take in a show.Go and see a comedian.Sounds corny?Could work though.
LIFT THOSE SPIRITS.

Speak to those on the phone that (s)he hasn't spoken to for ages,maybe the extended family who live miles away. Organise the spare time,get someone else to clean/iron/wash.

DO IT.DO IT NOW,DON'T DELAY.

We've all got a certain number of years left in us,after that it don't matter anyhow.Enjoy it while you can.One of my customers,i know her well -she has just battled against cancer-came home on Wednesday to find her 22yr old son hanging in her lounge.She now has to bury her son without ever knowing what had troubled him so.It is the saddest thing you could imagine.

My heart goes out to you on this as I have personal experience of a very close family member that went through something similar.

All I can say is be strong for you both and do all you can. Be prepared for the long haul as these things seldom blow over.

Another thing is dont be afraid to ask for help yourself, because if you're closely involved as a friend, you'll need your own level of support from others too. You wont be able to get through this singlehandedly.

Good luck!

The GP can refer her to go to Basildon Mental Health Unit. This is a unit which deals with attempted suicide cases and those thinking of suicide. When I worked at the hospital most failed suicide attempts went there under their own steam.

Hope this isn't like the old unit at Rochford, which is where my friend's mum actually managed to succeed in her objective.

Another suggestion, depending on circumstances, find a new interest/hobby which will help them to realise the importance of their life and how lucky they are - voluntary work is particularly good, especially if it involves children....the laugh of delight on a disabled child's face is intoxifying, and very easy to become hooked on.

As already mentioned alcohol is a bad one , but try sun lamp sounds odd but while SAD (seasonal affected disorder ) is a form of depression , any thing that excuse the pun brings a little little into a day , if you know what makes her life happier , nice safe pleasant surprises.

But always alwasy seek professional help with this one , and what greatly assits is the mixing this with S(he) normal life so what ever treatment dosn't feel odd or distributive to their normal routine

Back