• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Derby not giving up on Eastwood

Kent Shrimper

Mike Reid
Derby County have not given up hope of signing striker Freddy Eastwood despite Southend United telling the Rams and other interested clubs: "Don't waste your time - he's not for sale."

Eastwood is seen as a partner for Steve Howard but the Rams have been frustrated by Southend's decision to snub their £1m bid.

Derby feel they have made a "very, very good offer" for the 22-year-old and are reluctant to go higher.

They have other options and are also prepared to do business right up to the end of the month.

"We shall still be interested in Freddy Eastwood at the right price right up to when the transfer window closes," said managing director Mike Horton.

"It is up to Southend now. We are waiting to see if they want to negotiate. We have not had that call yet. If we do, we will be more than happy to sit down with them."

Southend chairman Ron Martin says Eastwood is not for sale and is determined to keep him at Roots Hall.

Martin now plans to open talks with the player about a new contract. Eastwood's current deal has another year to run with the option of a further 12 months.

"I have spoken to his agent and I would be happy to discuss a new contract for Freddy. I have invited him to come back to me and talk things through," said Martin.

Martin appears to be in no mood to discuss offers for Eastwood.

"Derby made an approach for Freddy but I told them he was not for sale," said Martin.

"I have spoken to our manager, Steve Tilson, and we both feel it is in his best interests to stay at Southend. He has a big part to play for us in the Championship.

"Any other clubs planning to make a bid for him are wasting their time."

Ryan Smith should complete his move from Arsenal today and be available for the Rams' opening Championship match against Southampton on Sunday.

A fee has been agreed with the Gunners and personal terms have been finalised with the 19-year-old wide left player, who has undergone a medical

The Football Forum

I love the way they think £1m is a fair enough bid, Despite us rejecting a £750k from Forest before he scored 25 goals last season...

I could understand Freddy leaving for the Prem but Derby? Do me a favour
laugh.gif

I would'nt sell Freddy at any price, when Derby get the fcuking message as he not for fcuking sales! Staying in Championship is more important to this club than flogging him off for a million!

Sounds like derby think they have a god given right to sign him. I wont be surprised if we can get above derby this season, bit like forrest last season really.

He is better of here, dont no why teams keep coming in for him as ron wont let him go.

Nice to see the management stay firm when other chairmans would look at the money and take it.

I would be angry if the club did flog him off anytime this season without waiting till Jans 2007!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (silentshrimper @ Aug. 04 2006,13:22)]Sounds like derby think they have a god given right to sign him. I  wont be surprised if we can get above derby this season, bit like forrest last season really.
That's exactly what I thought. I can't believe the arrogance. What made me laugh is that they think it's a fair offer and it is now up to us.

Well, I think you'll find that we have already made up our minds! Don't hold your breath waiting on that phone call!

Or maybe they expect RM to change his mind after a comment like that?

If Luke Guttridge continues his rich vein of form, I should imagine there will be bids coming in for him in the region of what Derby are offering for Freddy Eastwood, but I would expect Uncle Ron to flatly refuse to sell him either.

If our club has any ambition of maintaining our present status, we must keep hold of our best players. Freddy will be a considerable investment for us and if he manages to score even 15 goals this season, his value will more than double, which will give us sufficient funds to replace him if he decides to move on.

We could get 3 or 4 very good players for that sort of money, but for now... no thanks!

I can imagine how that Phone call went...

Derby: Hi, We're after Freddy

Ron: Isn't everyone?

Derby: Hold on, we're willing to offer a massive £1m... After all, you're small and we're massive... err, Hello?......... Hello?

They seem to think £1million is a very, very good offer. b******s, if you look at how much money Freddy could help generate through his goals and merchandise £1million comes nowhere near what he could potentially bring in to the club. I hope Ron, Freddy and his agent get a contract drawn up and signed ASAP.

You have to think that this is done to appease their fans that they are trying to get someone in. If not, what part of "he's not for sale" don't they understand?
£1m? Freddy is worth much more than that to us. After Grays take their cut, where are we going to find a suitable replacement to fill his boots with the money left?
I certainly have "a very, very good offer" to make to Derby.
mad.gif

Just typical of the arrogance these ex-prem clubs show towards the so-called smaller clubs like Forest last season. They should get used to being out of the premier league. If Steve Howard is the best they can do in terms of singings then why would anyone want to go there? If Heskey is worth £5.5m then Freddy is worth double that.

Back